It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Bold Solution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
So I'm thinking about starting a pettion on WH.gov. Here's my premise:

The U.S. military is an archaic entity. Back in the day it was needed to protect us from nations meaning to do us harm. But we have evolved. Just like a citizens militia gave way to a formal military, and justices of the peace evolved into community watches and finally police departments. The United Nations was formed to provide for our security so we no longer need our military.

I propose we disband our military and place our security into the hands of the United Nations. This solution will have a great many immediate and long-term benefits. First, it will eliminate a $900B/yr expense, essentially putting $8,000 into the hands of every American household. We will curtail the carnage we have wrought on civilians in foreign countries when missions have gone sideways thereby ameliorating the source of rage and lingering hatred toward us from those peoples. Clearly, given the extent of civilian deaths, injuries and infrastructure damage caused by our military exploits we need to do something to curtail that. We will also have a huge inventory of military assets that we can sell-off to the U.N. at a discount helping us pay down our national debt. Win-win.

With all those new military assets the U.N. will need the personnel to operate and maintain them. We will have a large number of unemployed military that are expertly trained in this area and can be hired by the U.N. We can also establish an international 911 number so if the United States is being threatened we can call that number and the U.N. will show up to protect us. Let's be reasonable, shall we? Fewer militaries on the planet will make for a safer world. It just stands to reason. Look at the list of countries without militaries (15 with no and 6 with very limited). They have been involved in no wars, no one has attacked them, and they haven't bombed any civilians. That proves right there that eliminating our military will make things safer.

So, I hope all you folks will support my petition. Maintaining a military is bankrupting our country and it is, as I have pointed out, an archaic relic of a past world. Our new modern world has better and more effective means of providing security in the form of the United Nations. Look how successful they have been in other incidents around the world. Disarming the U.S. government is the only way to prevent a recurrence of the many tragic altercations in which we have been enbroiled. Look at the horrors of Vietnam, Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan, etc. We've never been attacked here so clearly we don't need a military. Help me stop the madness.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Well said!

People have to begin to realize that we are not always the good guys. I won't go so far as to say we are always the bad guys either but you cannot simply believe that we are always in the right just because the government and the media say it is so.

It occurs to me that throughout history those who start wars are more often than not the aggressors. As pointed out above: we have never been attacked by any of our supposed current enemies. These people we are killing have never done a thing to harm me nor anyone i know. I will not have my government killing innocents in my name any longer.

And hey, they Christians ought to love it as well:

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you

-King James Bible

Cheers!

edit on 1/13/13 by soulshn because: =)

edit on 1/13/13 by soulshn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
So we have never been attacked? Try typing the words "Pearl Harbor" and "Japan" in a google search.

If it wasn't for the military and the civilian gun ownership we would have been taken over a long time ago. What would this world look like now if Hitler had gotten his way?

When this world is void of evil then I will agree to give up my weapons, but for now I will choose to keep them to protect me, my family, and my fellow country men against any enemy foreign or domestic.

Pladuim

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Pladuim

Yes, true. But the U.N. was not yet in place during those examples. But now that it is we need to put our security in the hands of the organization designed for that purpose. I realize that the majority of military are responsible but the mere possibility of even a small number attacking citizens is unacceptable. They were involved in the school shooting in Ohio where they killed 4 and wounded 9 others with one paralyzed. They fired over 5 rounds per second. That's just not reasonable. Former military were behind the attack in Oklahoma that killed 168 including 19 children. And the Texas shootings where 13 were killed by a military perrson. tehre are many, many more.

Some say that having the military keeps us safe. But despite having military all over the place on September 11, 2001 they could do nothing to stop those attacks. We even flew in the wrong direction. So again I'll say, it's time to do something. Let's put our security into the hand of the U.N. as is the design.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
I propose we disband our military and place our security into the hands of the United Nations. This solution will have a great many immediate and long-term benefits.

A noble idea, but perhaps mislead?

This would put America at the hands of the U.N security council, and therefore several countries would be able to veto vote on defense of the nation. This would allow a country to reject policy which would defend America without putting it to a vote in many instances.

Furthermore, there are large groups within the U.N with anti-American sentiments or who desire policy which would go against American wishes For example, the Organization of the Islamic Cooperation often puts forth resolutions or votes for resolutions which would go against American ideals or interests. These 56 member nations would suddenly be able to influence American defense policy. They are significant force in the U.N.

Contrary to what a lot of people I've met seem to believe, the United Nations is no a stars and stripes heroic organization. In fact, the only reason I suspect America shows up is to make sure the U.N isn't used for something really stupid.

The way the U.N handled Iraq, in my opinion, was pretty dumb in the first place from what I can see. Only my opinion I suppose.

I think falling in with the U.N in the world's current political climate would be a disaster, unless I'm completely missing something?

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
i kind of thought that was the actual purpose of the UN
only when it was created, no one stepped down their military at all
which turned the whole thing from an attempt to work together
into a way to jockey for better military position for your own country.
this much further on, i think we'd be better dismantling the whole damn apparatus and trying again

this time with a bit more cooperation
and a couple less weapons caches

seriously, it's like none of these people ever watched sesame street.

new topics

top topics

join