It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are diet drinks causing depression?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Did a search, no results.

Some research recently released suggests but does not prove a link between diet/artificial sweeteners. It won't come as a surprise to some but it's good that research is being done.

Correlation doesnt prove causation, but you need to find it before you can demonstrate causation. It wouldn't surprise me that sweeteners cause depression. Those chemicals are nasty and could be responsible for many kinds of illnesses. We're far too willing to swallow manmade chemicals that we know nothing about.

On a personal level I had to quit diet drinks and artificial sweetners in April last year after 2 yrs of severe digestive problems. I'm a tea junkie and had to switch to sugar to sweeten my drink of choice. I very quickly lost 30Ibs. How is it that I lost weight by switching to sugar? Additionally there has definitely been a small improvement in my mental health since quitting sweeteners, but yet again correlation does not prove causation.

Edit sorry forgot links

www.business-standard.com...

www.bbc.co.uk...

www.medicalnewstoday.com...

More research please.
edit on 9-1-2013 by merkins because: Forgot links

edit on 9-1-2013 by merkins because: Typos

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Good news for coffee addicts, the research suggests this can reduce instancesof depression.

As is often the case when you dig into the info further, it appears to be far less clear cut. I also would also question the statement that low or zero calorie sweeteners have no effect on blood glucose levels. I was informed last year by a nutritionist that sweeteners can trick the body into thinking its ingesting sugar and therefore the body can react exactly the same way. Surely that would effect the glucose levels in some way, although I look forwrd to clarification by more knowledgeable members.
edit on 9-1-2013 by merkins because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Maybe people that drink alot of diet drink are more likely to be depressed? They are dieting after all. Or pretending to themselves at the very least.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I think allot of people who say their suffering with depression just need to switch off the soaps and social networking sites, and start enjoy the life they have, instead of dreaming about having somebody elses.

"why isnt my life like X & Y's" ..because X & Y only put good things on their social network page, so its an illusion. Their not going to put reality on there, they aitn going to put bad things on there.

"Why isnt my love life going like theirs?" ...because its a #ing TV program and TV programs are not real..Yes even if its "reality" TV...If it was reality TV, you'd be so bored that you wouldnt watch it.

Depression..I know people really do suffer for it but I find its now used by many as just an excuse to sit in their self pitty.

Sorry if it seems I'v hijacked your thread, but the topic made me go there.

Peace

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by HenryNorris

I had the same thought. It would make sense to assume, that people who feel the need to use diet products might be dealing with some insecurities. Anyway - Correlation does not imply causation, which I think is why they state that this research only suggests it, but doesn't prove it.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mads1987
reply to post by HenryNorris

I had the same thought. It would make sense to assume, that people who feel the need to use diet products might be dealing with some insecurities. Anyway - Correlation does not imply causation, which I think is why they state that this research only suggests it, but doesn't prove it.

I totally agree with both of you. As I stated correlation does not prove causation. It could just be that depressed people seek out the sweet stuff.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Well said I couldn't agree more. The two years I had without a TV were bliss, and I'll be returning to that state shortly just a soon as my TV programmes finish lol. Social networking is also to blame. I'll resist anything more social than a forum like ATS. But one day it will become illegal NOT to have a social networking profile.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by merkins
I also would also question the statement that low or zero calorie sweeteners have no effect on blood glucose levels. I was informed last year by a nutritionist that sweeteners can trick the body into thinking its ingesting sugar and therefore the body can react exactly the same way. Surely that would effect the glucose levels in some way

Tricky question, which artificial sweetener did you have in mind? First, I'll clarify what effect sugar ingestion has on glucose levels, and then what effect glucose levels have on the body.

When the body's blood sugar levels increase, the pancreas releases insulin to convert the excess glucose to glycogen. Glycogen is a large insoluble molecule, and is stored in muscle tissue/liver etc. When the body's blood sugar levels decrease, the opposite of insulin is released, called glucagon. This takes glycogen and converts it to glucose.

Glycogen is like fat, but not as long term. It's easier to access than fat, and is the reason marathon runners hit "the wall" after a certain distance. The body likes to burn energy in this order: glucose - glycogen - fat. Fat does have much more energy stored in it, but it is much harder and takes longer to be released, compared with the near instant energy release of glucose.

The reason your body regulates its blood glucose level is to do with water potential and solubility. The more stuff in your blood, the thicker it is. That means it has less water by % than the cytoplasm in your cells, which makes water move from your cells to your blood. Your cells shrivel, processes slow and your blood pressure increases. Getting rid of glucose when it gets too concentrated prevents this. Low blood sugar (which is the thing we're most concerned with when answering your question) causes the opposite effect, it increases the water potential of the blood, causing the water in your blood to move in to your cells. This can damage cells and mess around with homeostasis, but on the whole isn't too dangerous in non-diabetics.

Interestingly, the feeling of low blood sugar levels can be likened to a mini-hangover, but not enough of one to be consciously noticeable. This could lead to chronic depression and anxiety in some people. Enough to have a causative relationship with suicide? I doubt it, but I'd press for it to be investigated none the less. I would definitely expect at least a significant quality of life reduction in sufferers, which may have a more credible causative relation with suicide.

Back to your original question though, do sweeteners affect blood sugar levels?

A quick google on the subject:
www.marksdailyapple.com...

Aspartame has no effect on insulin levels.
Saccharin may have an effect on insulin levels.
Acesulphame K may have an effect on insulin levels.
Sucralose may have an effect on insulin levels.

Conclusion: inconclusive. I'll check the sources on that site directly when I have more time tonight and report back.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by merkins

I think you need to clarify what kind of Depression we are discussing. There is Bipolar Depression (I,II and Cyclothymia) which is known for extreme highs and lows as well as uncontrollable mood states and of course, Clinical Uni-polar Depression (one mood). You also have a gamut of Anxiety related conditions as well as adult ADHD which can lead to depression. Schizophrenia is a different sort of beast. When you say "Depression" are we talking about a low period in ones life in which they seek treatment on a short-term basis or are we discussing long-term clinical depression?

Certainly some things in ones environment can exacerbate an already underlying problem, but many of these disorders have genetic markers (most notably Bipolar Depression, ADHD and Schizophrenia), so I have a hard time believing it's diet drinks doing the work. I think another poster said "well, they are on a diet" and that is a very good point. Most American's are overweight or obese and poor body image will lead to short-term depression (differentiated that from long-term clinical depression) for many people.
edit on 9-1-2013 by antonia because: argh

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   
hello,
Now a day depression is most common ,I know it is very dangerous for human some people may lose their life, and coffee is good drink to reduce depression , but If a person have the positive think then he can do any thing.
so always think positive.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WATER FILTER REVIEWS AND INFORMATION

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Yeah depression is big health issue in the current days. It have many reason due to our fast life, heavy work load.
Yes coffee is good drink for reduce the effect of this problem.
--------------------------------------
Home Health Care Maine

top topics

join