It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National ID Card opinions please

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Considering the current trend of increasing illegal immigration to the United States, and the increased likelihood of attack attempts on American soil by our self-proclaimed enemies, what do you think about the possibility of the institution of a mandatory and uniform ID card for all Americans?

If at all possible, consider and express your opinion as if any conspiracy referring to Orwellian prophecy, the New World Order, or things of this nature did not exist. That is, if it were purely a matter of national security and stability, and there were no other speculated alternate agenda concerned, how would you feel about the ID card? Do you think it would be an effective tool for law enforcement to increase the security of the American people? Do you think it would save lives and jobs, if instituted?

If you want to make the connection between the ID card and the above listed conspiracies, you are of course welcome. I just wonder how people might feel differently on the subject, were the spectre of Big Brother not there, and security was the main concern.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I guess I'm one of those rare Americans who feels pretty safe in this country. So personally the cards wouldn't affect me in any way.

How would this be different than a social security card or driver's license? Would we have to wear it on our clothing at all times when going out in public...if so, then yeah I'd have a problem with that b/c it would be annoying.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lecky
How would this be different than a social security card or driver's license?

Because currently, illegal aliens and terrorists are not required to carry a social security card or a driver's licence. Of course, in some states, illegal aliens could soon be given driver's licenses, but they still would not be required to pay the taxes that cover the cost of producing and issuing them.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lecky
How would this be different than a social security card or driver's license?

This is my question also. I have heard rumors bout the card containing bio information for the cardholder. I would appose the cards if this were true.

Getting too close to Gattaca. You could be denied health insurance etc. for your genetic background.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rain King
I have heard rumors bout the card containing bio information for the cardholder. I would appose the cards if this were true.

Getting too close to Gattaca. You could be denied health insurance etc. for your genetic background.

The current proposal does not imply the inclusion of medical records on the card, however, it could later be added to the legislation. If any medical data (or other data) were attatched to the card, it would not be contained on the card, but in a database that would connect to the card when scanned.

Legislation has already been passed making illegal the deliberate discrimination aganist an individual on the basis of their genetic information.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Just gonna bump this up a little bit... there. Perfect.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I think the ID cards are a good idea. I wont have a chip implanted, but I would carry a card. You already have to do it anyway. You have a liscens, and I dont know about other states, but in Kentucky, once you turn 18, you have to have a liscens or a state ID card. So whats the differance? A police officer pulles you over, and he gets the same info on you that he would get with a national ID card. I really dont see what the big deal is.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I couldn't care less about a national ID card really. I know some see it as infringing upon a citizen's personal rights, but it doesn't matter to me very much. I'd probably be in favor of it.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I can't see any problem with this proposal. Our Social Security numbers are already used for everything from service numbers to student loan account numbers. Our driver's licenses are part of a national data base. I don't think that this is going to have much of an impact on John Q. Public. For those who don't like big government and those who see a conspiracy around every corner, I'm sure it will be a major irritant.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 05:59 AM
link   
DeltaChaos,

I�m against any form of national identification card. You mentioned the social security card but forgot to mention the promise that was made to us when it rolled out to the masses. The government promised that it would never be used for identification purposes. We all know how well that went. It starts reasonably enough then next thing you know it�s, �show me your papers!� In America you can walk around with nothing in your pockets but lint and it is not a crime. I�m sure it wont be long at all before we lose that precious right upon the release of any form of national identification.

Freedom>security

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Machine
In America you can walk around with nothing in your pockets but lint and it is not a crime..

Thats not true. Ive' done some checking since last nite , and the law in Ky is the same for all 50 states. When you turn 18, if you dont have your liscens, you have to get a state ID card.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 07:58 AM
link   
No. No national I.D. card. I have too many ties to the federal government as it is (Any constitutionalists here will understand what I am talking about).
What good is one more stupid card? Do you think terrorists can't take pictures? They aren't vampires, you know! What needs to be done is knock off the political correctness that is totally moronic, look at who is trying to kill us, see what the common denominators are and look more closely at those folks.

Exactly what good do you think such a card will do? Seriously, it won't stop a thing, but it will become another tracking device, just like everything else in your pocket. Remember the SSN, how it wasn't supposed to be used for crap except SSA affairs? Now, I get treated like a psycho when I won't give it to some pimply-faced school kid at Sprint when all I want is a stupid phone service! Since when is phone service connected with the Social Security Admini-flippin'stration office, huh? It isn't my fault that some states think it isn't fair that ILLIGAL ALIENS don't have the ability to legally drive cars in the country and give them cards!

In short, my answer is no. It will do no good, is in violation and on top of all of that, is just another waste of MY hard-earned tax dollars.

Other than all that, I'm pretty neutral on the subject.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Other than all that, I'm pretty neutral on the subject.

Aw, come on, TC. You're always playin' the neutral guy. Tell us what you really feel...

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   

What good is one more stupid card? Do you think terrorists can't take pictures? They aren't vampires, you know!

In short, my answer is no. It will do no good, is in violation and on top of all of that, is just another waste of MY hard-earned tax dollars.

"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

[edit on 04/10/27 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Big brother is stepping closer and closer . . . .

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Kidfinger,

During my time as a Deputy Sheriff in the State of California no one was required to have identification on them. Now, if they were driving a car this changes but people walking on the street didn�t have to have identification. Not only were they free to walk the streets without identification but you couldn�t detain them without reasonable suspicion if they refused to stay in your presence.

Are you telling me that the law has changed since then in California?

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Machine
Kidfinger,
Are you telling me that the law has changed since then in California?

If you were a sheriff before 1996 you should have known about this.

www.jubilee-newspaper.com...

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Forgetting all the extemporaneous 'what-if=bilderburgers' and 'what if=big brother' theories, cost is the first thing that comes to my mind. Cost and consistency. 114 million cards and a database to carry all of the constantly changing data associated with the cards would probably be the largest federal accounting apparatus yet. States have a hard enough time keeping track of DLs, and the feds would probably have to put up thousands of dollars per person per year to maintain this data. And the more information associated with the card, the more money it would cost. Democratic wet dream.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Kidfinger,

Yes I was a Deputy Sheriff from 1991-2001 and I have read that article before. The law seems to set forth a new standard for national identification. It does not in any way mandate that a person carry an identification card on them while walking down the street. It also appears to be a standard which individual states have to choose to be a part of before it kicks in. I can assure you with absolute certainty that in the State of California you do not have to carry identification with you when walking about.

I checked this with my friend last night. He is a Sergeant with the Riverside County Sheriff�s Department. He told me that nothing has changed in California. No person is required by California law to carry identification with them while walking about.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Machine, I was under the impression that because of this law, the new driversliscens style. the one that looks like a credit card, was to act as a federal ID. The same goes for State IDs. That little strip on the back of either ID is a barcode with some basic info. I know two police officers here in Ky, both traffic cops, and they both have told me that soon, you will be able to run your ID through a scanner, kind of like an ATM, and your whole lifes history will be avalible. I may be mistaken, or my buddies may have lied (Which I find highly doubtful) but if Im right, it sounds like federal ID cards are already out. They are just disguised as a licens or a personal ID.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join