It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shooting in Swiss village kills three and injures two

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Shooting in Swiss village kills three and injures two

www.globalpost.com

GENEVA, Switzerland - A shooting in the small, Swiss mountain village of Daillon has left three people dead and two injured.

The attack occured Wednesday night around 9 pm in the canton of Valais 60 miles east of Geneva, said the BBC.

The 30-year-old man was said to be a former drug addict and had previously been a mental health patient.

Le Matin said the attacker began firing off rounds randomly on a street in the village before he was shot by police.

The attacker was injured and taken to hospital in nearby Sion.

BBC reported that the shooter may have known two of the victims,
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.yahoo.com

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
well even Switzerland seems to have a few nutty people of its own these days what i found most interesting about this is that the weapons he used were allegedly confiscated back in 2005 meaning that despite gun control in Switzerland it did nothing to stop this person from going nuts with his weapons of also interest from the 2nd link i posted from yahoo i found the following quote at the bottom of the article interesting
news.yahoo.com...

"A gunman who killed 14 people at a city meeting in Zug in 2001 was the nation's worst rampage, leading to calls to tighten national gun-buying laws. Friedrich Leibacher used a commercial version of the Swiss army's SG 550 assault rifle for the rampage, then killed himself. All able-bodied Swiss men who are required to perform military duty often take their army-issued rifle home with them after completing military service. In 2007, the government began requiring that nearly all army ammunition is kept at secure army depots. Many in Switzerland believe that distributing guns to households helped dissuade a Nazi invasion during World War II. In 2011, Swiss voters rejected a proposal to tighten gun laws. "This is part of Switzerland's self-defense, where the entire army can be mobilized in 24 hours," said Daniel Warner of the Geneva Center for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces. "I don't think (the latest shooting) is going to cause a change in attitude here." "" www.globalpost.com (visit the link for the full news article)
seems that every country might need to start paying greater attention to the mental health then they have been otherwise this kind of thing will be more common everywhere.and from an American point of view i am glad to see they aren't letting this incident get rid of their gun rights as they know just like us gun rights are crucial to the defense of Switzerland and the united states

edit on 3-1-2013 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-1-2013 by RalagaNarHallas because: clean up spelling mistakes

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I saw this article earlier and thought about posting it.
Let's take a quick look at the Swiss gun culture

“We will never change our attitude about the responsible use of weapons by law-abiding citizens,” says Hermann Suter, vice president of Pro-Tell, the country’s gun lobby, named after legendary apple shooter William Tell, who used a crossbow to target enemies long before firearms were invented.

Switzerland trails behind only the U.S, Yemen and Serbia in the number of guns per capita; between 2.3 million and 4.5 million military and private firearms are estimated to be in circulation in a country of only 8 million people. Yet, despite the prevalence of guns, the violent-crime rate is low: government figures show about 0.5 gun homicides per 100,000 inhabitants in 2010. By comparison, the U.S rate in the same year was about 5 firearm killings per 100,000 people, according to a 2011 U.N. report.

Unlike some other heavily armed nations, Switzerland’s gun ownership is deeply rooted in a sense of patriotic duty and national identity. Weapons are kept at home because of the long-held belief that enemies could invade tiny Switzerland quickly, so every soldier had to be able to fight his way to his regiment’s assembly point. (Switzerland was at risk of being invaded by Germany during World War II but was spared, historians say, because every Swiss man was armed and trained to shoot.)

The Swiss hold a lot of private arms and they only have .5 gun homicides per 100,000 compared to 5 firearm killings per 100,000 in the U.S.

People just choose to blame guns and accept only the numbers to support more gun control.

The Swiss Difference: A Gun Culture that works
edit on 3-1-2013 by six67seven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
So, where are all of the gun bashers who, IF this was in the U.S. would be screeming for more gun control laws?
Double standard? Maybe because many of the ritchest people and corporations keep their money in Swiss Banks.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by six67seven

thank you for your reply and your links! it makes me ashamed to hear our government condemning an entire group of law abiding Americans due to the actions of crazy people,more so with the fact that the Swiss government is actively protecting its citizens rights to bear arms as they know that those citizens are the only reason Switzerland was never invaded during ww1 and 2 there is a quote i dont have a source for but it goes something like this

Kaiser Wilhelm to who ever was leading Switzerland at the time how big an army can you field?
Swiss leader: 1 million men

Kaiser: what if i invaded with 5 million men?

Swiss leader: each of my men would fire five shots and go home.

the kaiser never invaded
www.davekopel.com... and this link talking about the Swiss in ww2 sums up how much the Swiss really treasure their right to bear arms and the resolve they will take defneding their mountain nation

When Hitler came to power in 1933, the Swiss feared an invasion and began military preparations like no other European nation. On Hitler's 1938 "Anchluss" or annexation of Austria, the Swiss Parliament declared that the Swiss were prepared to defend themselves "to the last drop of their blood." When the Fuehrer attacked Poland in 1939, Swiss General Guisan ordered the citizen army to resist any attack to the last cartridge. After Denmark and Norway fell in 1940, Guisan and the Federal Council gave the order to the populace: Aggressively attack invaders; act on your own initiative; regard any surrender broadcast or announcement as enemy propaganda; resist to the end. This was published as a message to the Swiss and a warning to the Germans; surrender was impossible, even if ordered by the government, for the prior order mandated that any "surrender" be treated as an enemy lie.

we as Americans have always seemed to look twords the spartan mentality of come and take them(molan labe) perhaps we should be looking to the Swiss and their "to the last cartridge" mentality

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by RedmoonMWC

thank you for your reply
i think alot of the "gun bashers" are in different threads as there are really quite a few topics on guns these days. i think they also might not be around as even with the Swiss love of fire arms they do make it pretty hard for the wrong type of people to get fire arms,yet this man still got one and he was known to be mentally unstable and it goes to prove what most pro gun people have been saying "you can ban all the guns you want but criminals and those who would wish to do harm with them will still find a way" so they may be staying away due to the fact that this also flys in the face of we can restrict guns with laws and that will magically just keep them out of the hands of the mentally unstable or people who should not have them.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas

Excellent post!
I agree totally.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Threatened with attack from German and Italian forces from all sides, General Guisan devised the strategy of a delaying stand at the border, and a concentration of Swiss forces in the rugged and impassable Alps. This chosen place of engagement was called the Réduit national, meaning a national fort within a fort. German tanks and planes, Panzers and Luftwaffe, would be ineffective there. A fifth of the Swiss people, 850,000 out of the 4.2 million population, was under arms and mobilized. Most men were in the citizens army, and boys and old men with rifles constituted the Home Guard. Many women served in the civil defense and the anti-aircraft defense. Nazi invasion plans for 1941 were postponed to devote all forces to Operation Barbarossa, the attack on Russia. The Swiss would have their turn in due time. Hitler banned the play William Tell. He called the Swiss "the most despicable and wretched people, mortal enemies of the new Germany"; in the same breath he fumed that all Jews must be expelled from Europe. His plan to annihilate the Jews would have faced a special obstacle in Switzerland, where every Swiss Jew (like every other citizen) had a rifle in his home. In the heroic Warsaw ghetto uprising of 1943, Jews demonstrated how genocide could be resisted with only a few pistols and rifles. Hitler boasted that he would liquidate "the rubbish of small nations" and would be "the Butcher of the Swiss." But the dictator was more comfortable with liquidating unarmed peoples and was dissuaded from invading Switzerland. There was no Holocaust on Swiss soil.

www.davekopel.com...

another quote from the article i posted earlier which i think also is relevant as another "anti gun' argument is that in this day and age an armed populace could not hold off a military force with jets tanks etc. as in Switzerland case at least their entire country was turned into a big fort and series of defensive structures in the alps to counter most of the German technical advantages.

if a small country the size of Switzerland can hold off one of the strongest and most feared armies Europe had ever seen to that time i have faith in partisans around the globe

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by RalagaNarHallas
well even Switzerland seems to have a few nutty people of its own these days..... is that the weapons he used were allegedly confiscated back in 2005 meaning that despite gun control in Switzerland it did nothing to stop this person from going nuts with his weapons ...

These kind of things happen every day on earth. Its just that media is all sensitive on this now. Watch the reports fade in four weeks. Do you want to tell us that "gun control" did "nothing" to stop this particular person going nuts.

Wow, what a killer phrase statement!

new topics

top topics

join