It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Petitions and ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Hi everyone,

So I know that "advertising" petitions on ATS is against the T&C. My question is, is there a way we can work out an agreement regarding the White House Petitions? ATS has lots of intelligent people in its ranks and I believe we should have an area or forum where we can discuss these things, maybe even a restricted forum for more seasoned members? Our vast number of members would allow us to quickly spread the word across the web for petitions that make sense, perhaps ones that the members vote on or something to that effect? The petitions website is full of asinine petitions, and I believe that its because there is no coordination with the people. Its possible that we could use our numbers and possibly influence across the web to actually change something here...

Just my thoughts, what are ya'lls?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by XTexan

This does get brought up from time to time. Some people don't understand why ATS will not allow it.

Here is an explanation from one of the owners:

It is the courteous discussion and debate of ALL sides of EVERY issue important to humanity. AboveTopSecret will never endorse a specific "side" or position on any issue by allowing those whose agenda needs attention or support to recruit that support on this site PERIOD.

You can find more info on this thread: Why doesn't ATS allow "Activist" Recruiting?

From a neutrality standpoint that seems fair enough.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

Ya I understand they're decisions, and I fully support their right to do so... It's just, as an American, I'm beginning to feel more and more helpless to being able to cause much needed changes in the way our country operates...

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by XTexan

Don't forget that THIS is not America, we are from all over the globe. It wouldn't be fair for ATS to petition for just one country.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I tried to post one recently as well. These petitions need a place to be seen.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
yeah, I had one removed before I knew we couldnt offer them here. Mine was for the creation of a space construction institute aimed at making the US the leader of space born constructions by training the average American. Then we could accept contracts form nations to build something in space for them, like asking a contractor to build you a house on some land you own. You give the money and show up for your keys one day when its done. We wouldnt be made into astronauts, but would be trained as space workers. It was removed sadly. That one would have been cool to see on ATS IMO. People here love outer space and all it involves.

I get why ATS would not allow petitions. I guess they want to stay as neutral as possible.

edit on 3-1-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
People the solution is Easy.

Post about the petition, not Advertising the petition. You can say that you agree with the petition, no problem. You can even suggest if people feel as you do they should sign the petition But don't make your post as if you are advertising a cause you are championing. Create a post on the story of the petition - for a better thread, give both sides of that story. Let the natural discussion pro against or other take place without bias.

In this manner enough people will see the petition and may sign it without you looking like your pushing the petition. I believe this way is perfectly in keeping with the ATS T&C.

A mod will correct me if I am mistaken.
edit on 3-1-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
Post about the petition, not Advertising the petition.
Sounds like solid advice to me. Recently, I posted a petition and, forgetting this detail from T&C, openly invited all to sign it... Poof went the thread. Had I created a thread simply discussing the existence of the petition and not encouraging participation, I think it would have been allowed to remain.

Some petition threads have survived on ATS, like the recent Westboro Baptist Church petition.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
The Terms and Conditions are very clear on this matter:

15e.) Recruitment/Solicitation:

i) You will not use your membership in the Websites for any type of recruitment to any causes whatsoever. You will not Post, use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to disseminate advertisements, chain letters, petitions, pyramid schemes, or any kind of solicitation for political action, social action, letter campaigns, or related online and/or offline coordinated actions of any kind.

ii) You will not Post, use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to collect or ask for the personal information (data mining) about forum members, including email addresses and "real life" names, in any manner whatsoever, or for any reason whatsoever.

iii) You will not Post, use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to solicit members of the Websites on behalf of another message board, online community or competitor. You will not attempt to use your membership to encourage or lure other members in any way to other websites or discussion boards in competition with TAN. Doing so will result in removal of your Post(s) and immediate termination of your account.

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join