It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House gives final passage to fiscal cliff bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   

House gives final passage to fiscal cliff bill

news.yahoo.com

Legislation to block the "fiscal cliff" is headed to the White House for President Barack Obama's signature. The bill will avoid, for now, the major tax increases and government spending cuts that had been scheduled to take effect with the new year.

Final approval came in the House on New Year's Night. The vote was 257 to 167.

The Senate passed the bill less than 24 hours earlier.

The measure raises tax rates on incomes over $400,000 for individuals and $450,000 for couples, a victory for Obama.

It also extends expiring unemployment benefits for the long-term jobless, prevents
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
So it looks like we get stuck with this temporary fix that just kicks the can further down the road. There is no meaningful cuts in this bill whatsoever. Looks like it is just more of the same in Washington.

Now we get to look forward to what is due in February which is the pending sequestration cuts, as well as the debt ceiling. I am certain that they will both just be pushed down the road until something has to be done.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I cant believe Republicans voted for this Bill
. A 44:1 ratio of tax revenue increases to spending reductions? After Republicans railed on for a year that they would NEVER vote for a piece of Legislation with anything less than a 5:1 Ratio of spending cuts to new revenues. I am not a happy panda right now

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
stop postponing things congress! i need the economy to collapse! i don't want to pay off my student loans!

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by david99118
stop postponing things congress! i need the economy to collapse! i don't want to pay off my student loans!

The economy won't collapse, all the unemployed will be put onto special programs.
You will have to work the rest of your life in a work-for-income support or work-for-food program which the government will setup soon. You will probably work until your student debts are paid off.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I agree that cuts should be made, but this is a small victory imo, even though they are basically just putting it on hold. I say its a victory because taxes need to be raised on the wealthy. However, I was thinking a tax hike for those who are "filthy" rich. 400k is a lot of money, but it is just peanuts compared to what the top 1% are earning in just a single day. Maybe even an hour for all I know.

I think these taxes should be raised BEFORE any spending cuts are made, because after cuts are made the government may decide that taxes do not need to be raised. Many of the lobbyists are complaining to the politicians about raising taxes on the wealthy, and the fact that the US is basically backed into a corner at the moment is the only way we are going to get those tax increases on the wealthy. So raise their taxes first, and then focus on cuts.

And what is the first things that should be cut? The very first thing is military spending. Bring the troops home to defend our own borders. The US claims to be so worried about terrorism, yet our borders are wide open to anyone who wishes to sneak in undetected, so you tell me if the whole terrorism threat is a lie or not. And with the troops deployed at home on our own borders, quite a lot of money will be saved.

And then whittle down other aspects of the military that are unnecessary. And then focus on civilian related cuts, especially those that are completely bogus and laughable. These savings will add up. But the big thing is military spending. And more specifically, there is so much money being spent without accountability. What I mean is, that for reasons of "national security (lol)," only a select few can know where a lot of money is going. And I am just guessing, but I bet it is fact, that a lot of that money ends up going to corporations in various countries. Basically taxpayer monies being given to those who are hurting us more than helping us. This is "black" money, or covert money, and it is a huge drain on our country.

And like I said, if the government really were concerned about national security, they would have solved the border problem a long time ago. But apparently the truth is that agencies like the DHS, TSA, etc. are in place to condition Americans into compliance and authority...So what is to come?

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   

I say its a victory because taxes need to be raised on the wealthy

You are correct, we need to raise taxes on the wealthy to have any chance of preventing America from becoming an aristocracy.

However, the payroll tax breaks that most of us have been enjoying didn't get included, so most Americans will see their paychecks shrink, and when you do remember that the Republicans have been fighting against it for months because they say they can't afford for us working people to have tax breaks- just millionaires and billionaires.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I just had a thought. As per the Constitution, the only Congressional Chamber that can Introduce Legislation for the purpose of raising Revenues, is the House of Representatives. So, how then was the Senate able to be the first chamber to introduce the Bill raising Tax Rates?
edit on 1/2/2013 by Dustofenese because: sentence structure, for clarity

Nevermind...when the Senate introduced the bill, Tax Rates had already gone up due to expiration of the Bush Era tax cuts, so in effect, they didn't raise any new revenues, but cut them. My apologies for jumping the gun.
edit on 1/2/2013 by Dustofenese because: realized Im stupid

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Guess they cant figure out a way to rape $ out of the situation just yet.But they will........
How do have all this illegal,backwards,politics going on and no one doing anything about it?

Can someone please tell me?

From fake inaugerations,birthcertificates,ss numbers...Lies lies lies. Trilliions missing here and there,fake 9 11 evidence everywhere to cuff and stuff people for all kinds of trials but nothing and no one is doing anything.

Instead we get these draconian exec orders and war lies wth? Im just in another dimension I think,

Its like theres bullys in the highschool beating on people pickin on em and the principle,teachers and school kids are just looking away... This is all BS anyway..The process of our govt isnt even being followed. PRint some more $
add some more zeros to the fed and keep on trucking. Its not like anything is gona happen for the better.
EVER..... is it? WHen has anything GOOD came out of our govt actions? The last time??? ANYONE??

Please,remind me.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   
The next thing Americans will see is skyrocketing tobacco and alcohol taxes, much like we have to suffer with in Canada

Thank god for ordering smuggled tobacco off the internet lol.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xaphan
The next thing Americans will see is skyrocketing tobacco and alcohol taxes, much like we have to suffer with in Canada

It's a shame when the only free market left, is the Black Market.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dustofenese

Originally posted by Xaphan

It's a shame when the only free market left, is the Black Market.

Yeah, it's sad when people have to resort to shady dealings to buy things, but it's still better than paying absurd taxes on a plant that grows naturally. I refuse to pay anything but the manufacturing costs if I can help it.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by QQXXw

Originally posted by david99118

The economy won't collapse, all the unemployed will be put onto special programs.
You will have to work the rest of your life in a work-for-income support or work-for-food program which the government will setup soon. You will probably work until your student debts are paid off.

1. iam not unemployed.

2. i already work for income, i sure as hell dont do it for free.

3. you assume things will go your way. they may very well not.

top topics

join