It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Going To London in a couple of months

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

davespanners
reply to post by sandman441

This is somewhere I always meant to go but never got round to. Looks like a good place for traditional British food and it's pretty historic

adding that, I love going to old places, so the older the better.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   
So the place with the Jelly Eels is called Tubby Isaacs,

guess there is a pretty decent food market near the kings cross rail station saw a hybrid pizza place called Well Kneaded,

White Cross Street too they have, scotch eggs, Wholefood Heaven had some interesting things vegetarian mostly, the green goat looks really good they just do fish.

I dvr'd a program called Street Eats Europe and the first thing was on London and they had a few interesting things.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   
The best thing I can tell you to do is to either get yourself an Oyster Card, or a daily travel card during your stay in London...

Don't get ripped off like all the other tourists who pay £4.00, plus, just to go one stop on the tube...

Don't bother trying to make conversation with anybody on the tube, because nobody talks to anybody else on the underground. You could have a thousand people on the tube train, but the only noise you'll hear is the actual noise of the train going through the tunnels, people with schizophrenia talking to themselves, or young people throwing up after a long session in the pub...

And for goodness sake don't try and match drinking with an Englishman, pint for pint, because you are onto a loser straight away. The English do not have blood in their veins, they only have alcohol....

One other thing, if you are in central London, then don't sound like a dumb ass American by pronouncing Leicester Square, as Lye-sester. The real pronunciation for Leicester, is Les-ta....

And don't presume that because we are quite a small country that everybody knows everybody else who lives in the country....

And one other tip to take on-board so that people don't tell you to f**K off, is this: When talking to the English natives, do not talk/shout at them as if they were 200 meters away, if they are only standing 2 ft in front of you. This is a big mistake that a great deal of Americans make and then they tend to get ignored and told to f**k off...

And if you happen to be in a bar where the game we call football is being shown on a TV, then don't talk about it unless you actually know what you are talking about, otherwise things could get a bit hairy. And don't use the word soccer in conversation, pleeeeeeeeeeze....

If you want some great food, atmosphere and great company, then go to Belgo, in Covent Garden....

If you go nowhere else, then go to Camden, if you like random stuff, fashion, music, beer, pubs and the like...

If you want more than drink and a place to relax, then remember that Amsterdam is only a 50 minute flight from Heathrow....

I hope you enjoy yourself, have a great time, don't be loud and brash and think that you know it all, like most Americans do, and you'll be fine....

I am sure that by the time you return home your plates of meat will be giving you gip (Translation....Plates of meat=feet, gip=pain or discomfort)

Enjoy yourself.........

edit on 6-11-2013 by davethebear because: additional info

edit on 6-11-2013 by davethebear because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   

davethebear
The best thing I can tell you to do is to either get yourself an Oyster Card, or a daily travel card during your stay in London...

Don't get ripped off like all the other tourists who pay £4.00, plus, just to go one stop on the tube...

Don't bother trying to make conversation with anybody on the tube, because nobody talks to anybody else on the underground. You could have a thousand people on the tube train, but the only noise you'll hear is the actual noise of the train going through the tunnels, people with schizophrenia talking to themselves, or young people throwing up after a long session in the pub...

And for goodness sake don't try and match drinking with an Englishman, pint for pint, because you are onto a loser straight away. The English do not have blood in their veins, they only have alcohol....

One other thing, if you are in central London, then don't sound like a dumb ass American by pronouncing Leicester Square, as Lye-sester. The real pronunciation for Leicester, is Les-ta....

And don't presume that because we are quite a small country that everybody knows everybody else who lives in the country....

And one other tip to take on-board so that people don't tell you to f**K off, is this: When talking to the English natives, do not talk/shout at them as if they were 200 meters away, if they are only standing 2 ft in front of you. This is a big mistake that a great deal of Americans make and then they tend to get ignored and told to f**k off...

And if you happen to be in a bar where the game we call football is being shown on a TV, then don't talk about it unless you actually know what you are talking about, otherwise things could get a bit hairy. And don't use the word soccer in conversation, pleeeeeeeeeeze....

I hope you enjoy yourself, have a great time, don't be loud and brash and think that you know it all, like most Americans do, and you'll be fine....

I am sure that by the time you return home your plates of meat will be giving you gip (Translation....Plates of meat=feet, gip=pain or discomfort)

Enjoy yourself.........

edit on 6-11-2013 by davethebear because: additional info

edit on 6-11-2013 by davethebear because: (no reason given)

I think I can get an oyster card online and top it off somewhere? I have to check more into that before I leave. I thought I could get one online.

I have actually never been on a subway/tube so probably keep to myself. I should be meeting somebody there that I know a little bit.

Honestly Alaska is so far away from the USA that I'm american in name only, it's really the truth. We are a different bunch up here. And I think London is huge just from the map I saw, I thought it was alot smaller before I started to research things.

I actually don't drink so no problems there, Even the smell of alcohol and I'm kind of queasy to be honest, I do want to try guiness though I hope I can just get a shot or something of it.

So going to blow that translation, but I know how you feel, most tourists here butcher alot of the place names here.

haha I hope my feet don't get too bad, I have to watch it and I am going to take a few taxis I think, that is why I like making lists so I can plan my day/days so I am not walking 27 miles and then back again.

Amsterdam is probably my next trip, what I may do is do 2 weeks in london and then 2 weeks in poland maybe even 1 week and then fly back.
edit on 17-11-2013 by sandman441 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
so status of my trip is on hold again, But I should be able to make it in September of this year. I should have been working in December or the lattest January but the weather put a hold on that, I should be going back to work in 3 days but we will see. Anyway the new plan is to stay in london for 10 days and then go to poland for 2 weeks. I have a friend who lives there and he's pretty close to germany, czech republic and Ukraine. So I might be doing the most sight seeing there.

We will see though getting a bit restless waiting for work.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

edit on 6/28/2018 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join