It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP leader Cantor opposes Senate 'cliff' bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

WASHINGTON (AP) — The No. 2 Republican in the House leadership says he opposes a Senate-passed measure to avert the so-called fiscal cliff.

Virginia Rep. Eric Cantor told reporters after a two-hour closed-door meeting Tuesday with his GOP lawmakers that he did not support the bill. He said House leaders were looking for "the best path forward" and that no decisions had been made. The Senate passed the measure early Tuesday by a sweeping 89-8 vote. House passage of the measure would send it to President Barack Obama for his signature.

The bill would increase taxes on family income exceeding $450,000 and delay across-the-board spending cuts for two months. House GOP leaders were considering amending the measure and sending it back to the Senate, but that step could produce a deadlock.

Link

Well here it is. Cantor coming out an declaring that he is opposed to the agreed upon version of the "Fiscal Cliff" bill. If he has enough of the House Republicans behind him this measure will not pass. If that happens it's back to the drawing board and over the "Fiscal Cliff" we go. .

I know this thread is similar to the other thread that I started, but this is more about Cantor directly denouncing the agreed upon bill more than it is about the other republicans being angry about it. He is the #2 Republican, and I think he may have enough pull to block this from passing.
edit on 1/1/2013 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
(facepalm)

However much the Republican political leadership in Congress may or may not be to blame for the bad things coming in the economy? Stunts like this will insure they get 100% of the blame in the public perception.

I don't get it. Anyone not working to keep their head buried in the sand knows that the witch hunt to pin blame for anything negative is on and it's on like never before. Why does this guy have to volunteer to serve as the poster boy to throw darts at?

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
(facepalm)

However much the Republican political leadership in Congress may or may not be to blame for the bad things coming in the economy? Stunts like this will insure they get 100% of the blame in the public perception.

I don't get it. Anyone not working to keep their head buried in the sand knows that the witch hunt to pin blame for anything negative is on and it's on like never before. Why does this guy have to volunteer to serve as the poster boy to throw darts at?

I agree 100% that blame will be laid at the feet of the Republicans for anything bad economically if this does not pass, but we all know that the agreed upon bill is a total joke! 4 billion in cuts in 3 years? Come on it took until midnight on new years eve to come up with that garbage? I would hate to see what would happen if they had to decide on something as big as a health care...... oh wait they didn't even bother to read that one they just passed it.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Terrible bill.

Will not pass.

Raises taxes, and no spending cuts.

How do you extend unemployment benefits when the President is bragging about the unemployment rate falling and the economy getting stronger?

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

Very true and I was just in an interesting debate elsewhere on this very thing. I've gone over the full text of the Senate bill (Not read every one of the 157 pages..but I've read over it) and I think it will do one important thing. Whether that's a good thing or not is a matter of opinion.

It will give the perception that the nation is not going over the cliff with only rocks below to crash to. The perception alone is probably enough to maintain the facade a bit longer. I think this is probably the last time this trick works as math just doesn't work for much longer in absolute terms. However, it carries the normal world we see outside our windows a little bit longer.

Unless of course, Cantor helps kill it. Then the start of the fiscal collapse I expected to see at least start by the end of the month without this deal giving those good perceptions will have only one to blame ...and not two. Who needs enemies sometimes, right? lol

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I would say that may be true, but then you should read the thread that I just posted. This bill just kicked the can down the road to February. Now it's going to be a double whammy, with sequestration cuts, and the debt ceiling being dealt with simultaneously. This is going to get very interesting in the next month as people become aware of this fact.

ATS

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
It doesn't matter. The bill will be Un-Constitutional. Article 1 section 7 of the US Constitution states

All bills for raising revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with amendments as on other Bills.

This is also why obama care is Un-Constitutional. The mandate has been ruled to be a tax. The bill that passed originated in the senate not the house.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Absolutely right Wrabbit - it is the Perception that's important. Our dollar is backed by "the full faith and credit of the American people". Perception is everything when it comes to global economics. Wag the dog....

ganjoa

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
And i wonder how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

But we cant even lock the barn after the horse is stolen, we have to let em have the contents of the barn too......

top topics

join