It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Captures Video Of Strange Explosion In The Sky

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Im surprised this thread is still going. Seems like it was all done and dusted on Page 3. In regards to the Astronomer recognising this as an exploding Weather Balloon, how should every amateur Astronomer know what an exploding Weather Balloon looks like?

It's ridiculous to even think that every Astronomer should have seen this before and know exactly what it is. I mean what are the chances of even spotting this, really slim I imagine.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I say it's an old satellite get blasted out of orbit, it's happened before

On January 11, 2007, China destroyed an old Chinese orbiting weather satellite. A year later on February 21, 2008, USA destroyed a malfunctioning US spy satellite USA-193 using a RIM-161 Standard Missile 3.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
If you look closely you can see the smaller dot shoot out a lser and then the anamoly explodes wich gives credabilitey to this account.

www.youtube.com...

edit on 1/1/2013 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit--All Caps - Please Don't Use Them

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublimecraft
Originally posted by Phage

Huh? What does that have to do with a bursting weather balloon?

Are you saying that all weather balloons:
1. Explode
2. Become Lost.

Because that was my query regarding sources who can verify a lost balloon resultant from explosion. All balloons would have a degree of accountability to those paying for their construction and use. Who keeps records of weather balloons going up vs weather balloons coming down? That's a lot of money - someone would be tracking them.

Because astronomers are not meteorologists. They don't have a lot of reason to know what a bursting weather balloon would look like.
That is your opinion, just like me saying that mechanical engineers don't have a lot of reason to know about electronics.
edit on 31-12-2012 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

When I was little, my Dad and I were out cross country skiing and came upon a downed weather ballon in the middle of nowhere. It had a "Please return me to" thing on it from NOAA.

I'm not sure how many people actually send these things back in, but it wasn't very big at all. The latex ballon material was fun to play with (as I was a little kid). I'm pretty sure my Dad sent it back, because it disappeared from our garage after a couple of days.

I can't remember if the balloon looked like it had been blown open as it was so long ago.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum

On January 11, 2007, China destroyed an old Chinese orbiting weather satellite. A year later on February 21, 2008, USA destroyed a malfunctioning US spy satellite USA-193 using a RIM-161 Standard Missile 3.

en.wikipedia.org...

Missiles have a nasty habit of vectoring straight onto a target before it gets there, no need for the war dance around it first.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum

en.wikipedia.org...

Missiles have a nasty habit of vectoring straight onto a target before it gets there, no need for the war dance around it first.

Guess it may depend on what angle you're looking at it and what kind of missile it is

Also, I would guess that if it was a missile, then it would be an exercise in testing out stuff, so who's to say what the controllers did or didn't do.
edit on 1-1-2013 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Kind of silly if a regional news station didn't bother checking their facts with the weather department and checking off all obvious possibilities before reporting this as some sort of anomaly, as well as the little information photo's and video. If they bothered asking an Astronomer, really they should have asked a few more people that launch things into the sky first and the upside down image wasn't exactly helpful either. It could have been an awesome find for an amateur astronomer videoing something exploding in the atmosphere but actually probably was a balloon sent by the weather station, would he not consider this first too, or was he just in it for the money?.

Either way, I guess the thread has been instrumental in pondering the actual events going on up there, where human eyes rarely see.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
sure it was a missle lmao, when will we learn

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShaeTheShaman
sure it was a missle lmao, when will we learn

Not saying it is, it COULD be.

It's a matter of interpretation and no verifiable explanation has been put forward

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

It's a matter of interpretation and no verifiable explanation has been put forward

Yes of course.
Ignore videos of bursting weather balloons which look exactly like it.
Ignore that the timing and location are consistent with a weather balloon launch from Oakland.
Ignore that there is no indication at all that it was a missile hitting anything.

Interpret it any way you wish while ignoring established facts.
edit on 1/1/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
definitely is a weather balloon just seen a video of one exploding and it looked exactly like the vid

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
ahhh well, someday we will see real ufos

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Yes of course.
Ignore that the timing and location are consistent with a weather balloon launch from Oakland.
Ignore that there is no indication at all that it was a missile hitting anything.

Dude...

You got Phaged...

Anything video for sale loses credibility with me.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Libertygal
Light refraction? Really?

No.

Yes...light refraction...if the Vatican says that's what it was...then that's what it was....NOT.
Why the hell is the Vatican bewing contacted about this anyway?
FISHY.

SMR

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

At the time of my posting, those videos' screens were blank and would not respond.
I guess at that point there should have been no more 'guessing' as to what the OP article was. Star for you

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Yes of course.

Do me a favour, all you've done is post what it COULD be, that's not to say what it actually is

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by theabsolutetruth
Kind of silly if a regional news station didn't bother checking their facts with the weather department and checking off all obvious possibilities before reporting this as some sort of anomaly, as well as the little information photo's and video. If they bothered asking an Astronomer, really they should have asked a few more people that launch things into the sky first and the upside down image wasn't exactly helpful either. It could have been an awesome find for an amateur astronomer videoing something exploding in the atmosphere but actually probably was a balloon sent by the weather station, would he not consider this first too, or was he just in it for the money?.

Either way, I guess the thread has been instrumental in pondering the actual events going on up there, where human eyes rarely see.

To be sure the newspaper article was a bit vague as to whether the guy was trying to sell the video or the telescope. What it does say, is that the video was taken on 20th December around 5pm, so you guys state side will know how dark it was at that time, not that it would matter that much if the balloon was at its maximum height for bursting, 85,000ft to 100,000ft according to the amount of helium used, it should still be reflecting bright enough. That's around 20miles high max, so should give some idea of what can be seen of a small but reflective object through a telescope at that height, and that is most likely the reflective light bodies and not much detail, never mind the medium itself used to capture the picture.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

No. It was a weather balloon.

You, on the other hand, claimed something it couldn't be.

I say it's an old satellite get blasted out of orbit

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Bursting weather ballon with lens flare....

I like it

Was pretty cool looking,guy should play the lottery.

If it was a satilite being taken out ,there would be more crap up there, that sucks for eveyone, but the chinese.
They like taking things out in mid orbit. KKV`s travel liner not orbiting it. No I didnt read all the posts.I figured a ballon or chinese latern would eventually be the explanation. Still very cool looking not something you see everyday.

Bill
edit on 1-1-2013 by Camperguy because: add sat frag

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AFewGoodWomen

Originally posted by Libertygal
Light refraction? Really?

No.

Yes...light refraction...if the Vatican says that's what it was...then that's what it was....NOT.
Why the hell is the Vatican bewing contacted about this anyway?
FISHY.

It's not fishy, they have a resident astronomer along with all the bits and pieces, and have done for centuries, in various places including their home ground and the US.
Try Googling, there's nobody nosier.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join