It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO Research of NASA's Paul R. Hill.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
The UFO research of NASA Aerodynamicist Paul R. Hill has been discussed quite a bit on these boards and now his book 'Unconventional Flying Objects: A Scientific Analysis' has been made available on free pdf format here - the book never actually addresses the origin of UFOs but does speculate about the consistency of patterns in behaviour, physical properties, propulsion possibilities etc.. it also brings up aspects like UFOs changing colour during acceleration, the lack of sonic booms and other UFO flight characteristics.

UNCONVENTIONAL FLYING OBJECTS - A Scientific Analysis by Paul R. Hill

Paul Hill was a well-respected NASA scientist when, in the early 1950s, he had a UFO sighting. Soon after, he built the first flying platform and was able to duplicate the UFO's tilt-to-control maneuvers. Official policy, however, prevented him from proclaiming his findings. "I was destined," says Hill, "to remain as unidentified as the flying objects."

For the next twenty-five years, Hill acted as an unofficial clearing house at NASA, collecting and analyzing sightings' reports for physical properties, propulsion possibilities, dynamics, etc. To refute claims that UFOs defy the laws of physics, he had to make "technological sense ... of the unconventional object."

After his retirement from NASA, Hill finally completed his remarkable analysis. In Unconventional Flying Objects, published posthumously, he presents his findings that UFOs "obey, not defy, the laws of physics." Vindicating his own sighting and thousands of others, he proves that UFO technology is not only explainable, but attainable.

Google Ebook - Excerpts

There's a more in-depth review of the book found here and at the link below Richard Thieme conducts a very interesting interview with the scientist's daughter where she discusses why Paul Hill's UFO research was published posthumously; how he feared his academic research was being pulled purposefully from aeronautical firm libraries like Boeing/Lockheed and how the main government agency her father was 'fearful of' was the Pentagon's Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA).

See 49:00

"When he was writing it, he tried to access some engineering paper he had written – something on sound theory – and he couldn’t find them. He searched the libraries, aeronautical firm libraries to access the paper and nothing turned up. He flew to some different places – I don’t know where – Boeing, McDonnell Douglas, Lockheed or Grumman or NASA places and searched their libraries too, and he said it or they were gone. He had a sinking feeling that they had been pulled purposefully. He was afraid there were things the government wouldn’t want to get out. He … I’ll go ahead and say it … the main agency he was fearful of was the DIA to the point where he told me never to say that acronym in front of anyone or repeat that but he’s gone now and I’ve mentioned it to some other people. He never said he was approached in any way personally but he felt these papers disappeared for a reason and he connected it to that agency or thought they would be the ones who did not want certain information released. He ended up rewriting the engineering and going through it all over again for the book".

Interview with Julie Hill, daughter of Paul R. Hill

Former McDonnell Douglas R&D Manager Dr Robert M. Wood (who wrote the foreword to Paul Hill's book) also mentions below how the entire classification for the UFO subject was pulled from special USAF libraries and makes some interesting comments about how the Boeing Coporation engaged in UFO research and studied gravity control techniques.

"I had access to special libraries, so we could go up to the library that the Air Force ran and sort of paw through top-secret material. Since I was interested in UFOs, I’d look to see what they had. For about a year, I was getting quite a few hits. Then, all of a sudden, the whole subject material vanished. The entire classification for the subject just vanished."
McDonnell Douglas Aerospace Engineer, Dr. Robert Wood - DP p. 434

edit on 3-4-2017 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
It's also reported that Paul Hill experienced two UFO sightings during his lifetime - one is found in the book but the other is described below and involves several strange objects over the waters of Lower Chesapeake Bay in Virginia -he also mentions that two USAF personnel who witnessed the UFOs where ordered to keep quiet by their superiors.

Hampton, Virginia, July 16th, 1952.

Within seconds of the circling maneuver, an identical sphere came in from the Atlantic Ocean on an ascending course over Lower Chesapeake Bay and joined the others, falling in below. For a few seconds they seemed to float along, then began accelerating slowly toward the south as a fourth amber sphere came in from the James River to build the group up to a formation of four as they headed south..

The sphere that came in from the Atlantic had evidently cruised northward, just offshore. This was learned in a visit to Norfolk, Virginia, looking for additional data. One of the Norfolk papers carried an article about it. A Virginia Beach bus driver was going north along the coast when a lone passenger had come forward a few minutes before 8.00 p.m. and tapped him on the shoulder, calling his attention to a strange, orange or amber fiery-looking sphere out over the water. The driver was sufficiently impressed to stop the bus, and together they watched the fiery sphere cruising northward parallel to the shore, just above the water's surface..

It was subsequently learned that a ferryboat load of passengers, docked at Old Point and waiting to make the overnight trip to Washington, had witnessed the entire event, among them the President of the Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Corporation. The next morning the Newport News DAILY PRESS carried a two-inch banner headline, FLYING SAUCERS OVER HAMPTON ROADS. The detailed report had been made to the Press by an Air Force captain, a fighter pilot. Our observations agreed even to the estimated 500 mph speed. However, one thing puzzled me. The PRESS article said that aircraft spotters who had been on duty reported nothing. Determined to check this out, I got a list of spotters on duty the night in question and visited them individually in their homes. They all said they saw the UFOs and knew they were not aircraft. The head spotter said that he had been instructed by the Richmond Filter Center, operated by the Air Force, to report aircraft, and no nonsense, and so had said nothing. However, they gave me the data needed for triangulation to obtain altitude..

link

Techincal report:

July 16, 1952, Hampton, Virginia, 9:00 p.m. (EST). Mr. Paul R. Hill, an Aeronautical Research Engineer, holds a B.S. degree in mechanical and aeronautical engineering from the University of California. At the time of the report he had 13 years experience in aeronautical research. Mr. Hill was situated on Chesapeake Avenue (near La Salle Avenue) on the north shore of Hampton Roads watching the sky. With him was his wife, Frances, who also witnessed what followed.

1. Two UFOs approached, slowed.
2. Point of fast circling.
3. Third two joined circling ones.
4. Fourth joined formation.
5. All four moved south in group.
===============================

At 9:00 p.m., he noticed two amber-colored lights. He gave this description: "Two were seen first coming in over Hampton Roads at about 500 mph. from the south. These slowed down as they made a "U" turn at the southern edge of the Peninsula. They moved side by side until they revolved around each other at a high rate of speed in a tight circle 2 or 3 hundred feet in diameter. This appeared to be a rendezvous signal as a third UFO came racing up from the direction of Virginia Beach and "fell in" several hundred feet below the first two, forming a sort of "V" formation. A fourth UFO came in from up the James River and joined the group which headed on south at about 500 mph."
Mr. Hill added that the UFOs changed altitude "only when they revolved around each other, circling or spiraling rapidly (as fast as once per second).
"They moved jerkily when moving slowly. The speed varied from about 50 to 500 mph. Their ability to make tight circling turns was amazing."

At about 9:03 p.m., the four UFOs had moved into the distance out of sight to the south. The color and brightness of the objects, which did not change except apparently due to increase in distance, was compared to "an amber traffic light about 3 or 4 blocks away." The elevation angle of the UFOs covered a range of about 50 degrees, from about 10 to 60 degrees, during the observation.
Mr. Hill was interrogated by an Air Force intelligence officer from Langley Air Force Base.

SECTION VI SCIENTISTS & ENGINEERS

edit on 30-12-2012 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Just wanted to download it because you mentioned free.
Over here it is not free.

The Book

Edit: OP gave me this link here Book pdf. This one is a free one. Very sweet

edit on 30-12-2012 by Snaffers because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Snaffers

Thanks for the link! I am looking for other books as well. STAR for you Snaffers

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Star and Flag the messenger which was first.
However ... i am looking forward to read this report

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Read this book years ago. Really nice take on the subject from a scientific point of view. I'd be lying if I said I understood everything in the book. But it does have some of the best theories on the workings of UFOs I've ever read.

Thanks for the ebook link. I lost my hard copy a while ago.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Yet another good thread by karl12, good job and thanks

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snaffers
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Star and Flag the messenger which was first.
However ... i am looking forward to read this report

Starting reading the book...good so far...and yes, forgot the S&F for this thread which I have just done!

Thanks OP!

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Will read the book and thankyou

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snaffers
Just wanted to download it because you mentioned free.
Over here it is not free.

The Book

Edit: OP gave me this link here Book pdf. This one is a free one. Very sweet

edit on 30-12-2012 by Snaffers because: (no reason given)

As a heads up to others: I had some problems downloading the free version via several of my browsers; however, it worked fine with the native one for my system (starts with an "S" and is a synonym for a hunting trip). So recommend using whatever your workhouse browser is for this site's download. I had to reboot my system to get one of the browsers back to health after I tried downloading via it.

Also, thanks to the parties concerned for the linkie to the pdf download of this book.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Thanks for all the replies and the online version of the book is certainly a rare one so nice to find a pdf link (good advice from Mr Inquisitive as well
) - also to note the Google version just contains certain sections and not the full book.

Paul Hill's work did get a bit too technical for me at times but for folks who understand and enjoy the science there's a great link below from UFO researcher Dimitris Hatzopoulos exploring possible UFO physics, propulsion and technologies - he also mentions other research from engineers and physicists such as James McCampbell, Leonard G. Cramp and Lieutenant Plantier which are linked below.

Possible UFO physics / propulsion / technology

There have been "thought experiments" on how UFOs might work (on paper, as no hardware is available, at least publicly). Books have been written by Paul R. Hill (written 1970s, published 1995), James McCampbell (1970s), Leonard G. Cramp (1966), Plantier (1953); who all approached the UFO phenomenon from a "nuts-and-bolts" craft perspective and their theories on UFO manoeuvring were based on the idea that a UFO's source of propulsion is rigidly attached to the craft.

Hypernet

Books/articles:

UFOLOGY - A Major Breakthrough in the Scientific Understanding of Unidentified Flying Objects - James M. McCampbell.

link

UFOs and Anti-gravity - by Leonard G. Cramp.

Link (pdf)

LT PLANTIER ASSUMPTIONS ON THE FLIGHT OF UFOs, 1953.

This article by Lieutenant Plantier of the french Air Forces was published in "La Revue Mensuelle de l'Armée de l'Air," #84, September 1953, the monthly review of the French Air Forces. Lieutenant Plantier later developped later his theory in his book "the Propulsion of the Flying saucers," Mame published, Paris.

link

Cheers.

edit on 7-4-2023 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Currently reading the book and recommend everyone read it!

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

UFOs over the aurora borealis © NASA

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Excellent videos, interviews and it's great to have Hill's book in pdf format. I already have the hard copy and there a couple dozen pieces of paper as bookmarks, but having it in electronic form is great for quick searches and references. As always, you bring cogent, informative material.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12

Hampton, Virginia, July 16th, 1952.

Within seconds of the circling maneuver, an identical sphere came in from the Atlantic Ocean on an ascending course over Lower Chesapeake Bay and joined the others, falling in below. For a few seconds they seemed to float along, then began accelerating slowly toward the south as a fourth amber sphere came in from the James River to build the group up to a formation of four as they headed south..

The sphere that came in from the Atlantic had evidently cruised northward, just offshore. This was learned in a visit to Norfolk, Virginia, looking for additional data. One of the Norfolk papers carried an article about it. A Virginia Beach bus driver was going north along the coast when a lone passenger had come forward a few minutes before 8.00 p.m. and tapped him on the shoulder, calling his attention to a strange, orange or amber fiery-looking sphere out over the water. The driver was sufficiently impressed to stop the bus, and together they watched the fiery sphere cruising northward parallel to the shore, just above the water's surface..

It was subsequently learned that a ferryboat load of passengers, docked at Old Point and waiting to make the overnight trip to Washington, had witnessed the entire event, among them the President of the Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Corporation. The next morning the Newport News DAILY PRESS carried a two-inch banner headline, FLYING SAUCERS OVER HAMPTON ROADS. The detailed report had been made to the Press by an Air Force captain, a fighter pilot. Our observations agreed even to the estimated 500 mph speed. However, one thing puzzled me. The PRESS article said that aircraft spotters who had been on duty reported nothing. Determined to check this out, I got a list of spotters on duty the night in question and visited them individually in their homes. They all said they saw the UFOs and knew they were not aircraft. The head spotter said that he had been instructed by the Richmond Filter Center, operated by the Air Force, to report aircraft, and no nonsense, and so had said nothing. However, they gave me the data needed for triangulation to obtain altitude..

these areas (general area) , is this the area that commander bethune and his crew of constellation aircraft witness UFO on water at night ?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
excellent thread karl12, though that guy think UFO as nuts-n-bolt tech and trying to investigate the tech of UFO by current science (which is impossible as UFO phenomena do not follow rules of known physics)..

We all living in a physical (Visible) and in a spiritual (invisible) world. We cannot see into the spiritual unless something 'enables' you to see the spiritual world. There are ways.. EASY ways to enable humans to see into spiritual world, though before one should try it , one should remember that humans are physical beings that masters the physical and thus in spiritual world human are subject to illusion and disinfo from spiritual beings that inhabits it.

Before all the 'UFO' news breaks out in 20th century, its been known in the mystical and occult world that these phenomena can be seen regularly (Noctural Lights / Daylight Disc) by people who are psychic or mystics. These phenomena sometimes appears only to the mystic and not to others , thus a psychic appearance, but sometimes they left physical trace thats not significant. Thus for a limited time these entities can manipulate physical world.

All these psychic phenomena are subjective off course. If you are psychic you will know what i am talking about. Seeing shadows and ghost ? thats common occurence for psychics.. Hearing Voices ? Beings standing beside your bed ? Strange balls of lights flying in the sky ? thats just few example of psychic phenomena witnesses by some of the sensitive.

Now why most of us cannot see UFO phenomena ? because most of us are not 'sensitive' or psychic. As an experiment you can bring your known psychic friend into an UFO Flap area and he will see something definitely or abducted too.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by milomilo

So you didn't read the book?

He never tried to explain what they are or where they come from, but he takes the observations and tries to explain how the observation was possible using known physics.

There is no reason to think its anything mystical, just science that we haven;t fully figured out or maybe we have but there not telling us.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

I am ordering the book thank you, fascinating subject and likely to include truths disguised as theory...

You are always finding the best stuff.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies and the books certainly an interesting read, here's one of his charts based on repeated observations and it's nice to see a NASA scientist actually tackle the UFO subject (even if he is only speculating about it).

Originally posted by milomilo

these areas (general area) , is this the area that commander bethune and his crew of constellation aircraft witness UFO on water at night ?

Milomilo, good point and thanks for the reply, it states in this great post from Easynow the encounter happened 90 miles west of Gander, Newfoundland so it was in the (very) general area.

Goose Bay is also in the very general area and seems to pop up a lot in UFO research, it was the USAF SAC base there where it's claimed the Bethune object was tracked on DEW Line Ground Radar system back in 1951 and there's been quite a few freaky reports from the place over the years.

What is perhaps a bit surprising, however, is that there were so many saucer sightings at Goose Bay. In the 1940s and 1950s, there were 20 known reports, a considerable number for such a remote base. Most people were unaware of what was being seen and reported by pilots and other military personnel, although rumours of events persisted over the years.

Goose Bay UFO, Labrador, 1948

Cheers.
edit on 3-1-2013 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
So all the evidence the multitudes of UFO researchers can produce is thousands of books and an explanation that some extraterrestrails with technological abilities far beyond publicly known capabilities of any country on earth are visting the earth?

And everything about who they are, what they want is guess work? Fantastic!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join