It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A "Martian Flower"! Curiosity Sol 132!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyAnonymous

Really? All of this rigamarole for what is either quartz or a mineral?

I'm just going to stick with the actual scientific sites with real scientists. No wonder why conspiracies are bred the way they are.

Mineral/quartz.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by qmantoo
Unfortunately, we have seen seen strange things like this before and we have been assured that they will be analysed. Yes, I am sure someone does analyse them but where is the analysis report?

If we knew what the previous ones were, we may have a better clue as to what this one was.

The first one they said was something dropped off the rover. The next one was almost like a piece of gold. It looked as if it was glowing. (yes, I said "looked as if", not that it was glowing) If NASA has run them through the analysis machine why dont they tell us what it was?

I hate it when they do that.

It is very frustrating to wait, but we have to remember that the rover is not in another town or state, it's on another planet. Yes, I realize there are even possible conspiracy theories concerning that, but I'm going with that being the actual situation

The "shipping time" alone produces quite a wait period. (darn FedEx
) There is no overnight delivery from Mars so we have no choice but wait until it's collected and analyzed to find out more. The suspense will definitely be an interesting experience in itself.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Yes, I am sure someone does analyse them but where is the analysis report?

I'm not, I don't think they will (or should) analyse every rock they find.

The first one they said was something dropped off the rover.

It looked like it, and that's why (apparently) they didn't analysed it, it could contaminate (or even destroy) the machine.

The next one was almost like a piece of gold.

I don't remember anything like that, only a bright (on the photos), small object.

It looks very like a small diamond, I have found natural diamond in gravel and it looks just like that. They come in yellows and all kinds of colors.

edit on 4-1-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Originally posted by ArMaP

Yes, I am sure someone does analyse them but where is the analysis report?

I'm not, I don't think they will (or should) analyse every rock they find.

The first one they said was something dropped off the rover.

It looked like it, and that's why (apparently) they didn't analysed it, it could contaminate (or even destroy) the machine.

The next one was almost like a piece of gold.

I don't remember anything like that, only a bright (on the photos), small object.

It looks very like a small diamond, I have found natural diamond in gravel and it looks just like that. They come in yellows and all kinds of colors.

edit on 4-1-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

If it were to turn out to be a diamond, that could spark even more interest. A diamond is compressed carbon and carbon is the basis for life (on this planet anyway). It could very well give some sort of evidence that there was life of some type on Mars at some point in time whether it be plant, animal or some other form.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by kthxbai

Here is another link......congrats Arken!

While using its robotic arm-mounted Mars Hand Lens Imager (MAHLI) camera to take some close up photos of the surface of a rocky outcrop at a location dubbed "Yellowknife Bay" on Dec. 19 (sol 132 of the mission), a bright object could be seen in one of the raw images uploaded to the mission's website. Its discovery has caused quite a stir on AboveTopSecret.com where it was first reported.
Alerted to the mystery feature, MSNBC's Alan Boyle assumed it was just another piece of litter accidentally dropped from the rover. However, this isn't the case. On putting the question to NASA spokesman Guy Webster, it appears initial analysis has confirmed it is part of the rock and not something dropped on top.

news.discovery.com...

edit on 4-1-2013 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
reply to post by kthxbai

Here is another link......congrats Arken!

While using its robotic arm-mounted Mars Hand Lens Imager (MAHLI) camera to take some close up photos of the surface of a rocky outcrop at a location dubbed "Yellowknife Bay" on Dec. 19 (sol 132 of the mission), a bright object could be seen in one of the raw images uploaded to the mission's website. Its discovery has caused quite a stir on AboveTopSecret.com where it was first reported.
Alerted to the mystery feature, MSNBC's Alan Boyle assumed it was just another piece of litter accidentally dropped from the rover. However, this isn't the case. On putting the question to NASA spokesman Guy Webster, it appears initial analysis has confirmed it is part of the rock and not something dropped on top.

news.discovery.com...

edit on 4-1-2013 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

Maybe there's a conspiracy to give us more public attention?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

I have never seen a rough diamond up close, but it doesn't look as translucent as a diamond or even as quartz, but it would be interesting if it was.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
But if it's quartz ...that is even more intriquing because...and I quote. "
When silicon (Si) and oxygen (O2) combine, it will create silicon dioxide (SiO2), which is quartz..." Of course, I'm a very beginning student of geology and that's just the first info I found. thoughts?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I actually don't think this particular object is a diamond OR a piece of quartz. Why? As I said in my first post here, it has a peculiar shape. It is rounded. Both convex and concave. It isn't "hard", IMO.

As I said, it looks A LOT like plastic. Embedded in a rock

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Arken you're a celeb:
Yahoo

On the posting, the commenter going by the name “Arken,” writes: “The Albedo (or Reflectivity of Sun Light) of this object is very high, and its translucent appearance, the irregular conformation (like pistils) and the 'texture' of its wider areas is smooth, and seem that it is ground attached.

EDIT: I see I'm late to the show. Great thread and as Jay said it does look like plastic imbedded in rock.
edit on 4-1-2013 by Yngvarr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Yngvarr

I wander: why these kind of news from Curiosity came from an humble member of Above Top Secret.com and not from the NASA boffins....
They need other personnel to analyze the Rover's images?

Sarcasm apart, I'm honored of this!

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Still think it looks like a Martian bogey

Congrats Arken hope you get a royality check soon

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arken
reply to post by Yngvarr

I wander: why these kind of news from Curiosity came from an humble member of Above Top Secret.com and not from the NASA boffins....
They need other personnel to analyze the Rover's images?

Sarcasm apart, I'm honored of this!

If I was you,I would hit them up for a job as conspiracy sniffer outer.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Congrats for making it in the news

Although I am baffled why you used the term "flower"?

IMHO, it must be some sort of mineral. Other possibility, it is the same kind of rock as seen in the entire picture, but by pure coincidence this little part looks more shiny because of the angle of that piece to the sun. I noted there are other pieces in the image which also have a very little specular glare on them, but they might just not be positioned right.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I noticed something when I was flipping the image:

You see those weird traces?

Edit: For some reason really hard to see on the original NASA .jpg, maybe I am seeing things which are not there...
edit on 5-1-2013 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Hi all, here is the thread where I posted my analysis on 22 December.
That analisys is the summarized content of a report I sent to NASA and to John P. Grotzinger till December 23.

Raffaele

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
This thread and the OP's comment is being reported on Yahoo news.

Peoples, mind your Ps and Qs. We are being watched by MSN.

news.yahoo.com...

It seems some members are news makers.
edit on 5-1-2013 by DoorKnobEddie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   

edit on 5-1-2013 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Based upon my preliminary analysis of this object, I am convinced this is nothing more than a deciduous bicuspid shed by an adolescent Thark.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by VonDinkinDunken

Based upon my preliminary analysis of this object, I am convinced this is nothing more than a deciduous bicuspid shed by an adolescent Thark.

...or an unused alien-condom !?!

edit on 5-1-2013 by Raffaele because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join