It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Look at Prayer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

A Look at Prayer

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/ue50da78ad.jpg[/atsimg]
What do we see when we look objectively at someone praying? We see a person either thinking, talking to himself, and depending on his chosen or inherited faith, making certain gestures assumed to be a part of that prayer. These rituals take form as the Salah in Islam, The Lord’s Prayer in Christianity, or a meditative mantra recital in Buddhism, just to name a few.

Much like the fact that there is no universal or agreed upon version of the divine, there is no true religious prayer that spans all cultures. A rational human being, who may see the dramatic ritual of prayer as a vain desire to appear pious to others, or at least to appear pious to himself, may forgo the theatrics in favour of the one similarity all prayers share: a moment of deep introspection and inner dialogue. This form of prayer is of course available to everyone capable of thought.

Certainly, when we seek answers or inspiration from ourselves, or touchdowns from a divine being, we are doing so in the recesses of our own mind. When we pray for the well-being and safety of others, we can only be sure that in the process we are suppressing our own fear of the unknown. Whatever the outcome, we know we have at least done our part and held them in our minds long enough to ease our own speculations.

In every instance of prayer, when we’re not too concerned with indoctrinating ourselves with these ritualistic procedures, mantras or worship, we are engaged in an intimate moment with ourselves. Despite all thoughts to the contrary, our prayers likely never leave our brain, nor are they likely to be received by anyone but ourselves. This is not only highly probable, but painfully apparent, as our prayers are ‘answered’ just as randomly as they are not, and every outcome is quite obviously coincidental. Of course in God’s world, coincidences cannot exist, and my assumption, however empirical it may seem, can still easily be discarded as ridiculous, as the designer of the universe would have also created misfortune to contrast his fortune, and each time we pray but never receive, we are able to convince ourselves that it’s all part of the plan.

Yet, strangely enough, even though we live our lives according to God's art, we have the balls to challenge his masterpiece, and the nerve to ask him to change it just for us.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
If JESUS needed to pray...

WE need to pray.

Two VERY good videos on prayer by Francis Chan:

edit on 25-12-2012 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by NiNjABackflip

It makes me sick to think that people actually believe that a god will help them win in any sport while letting one nation devastate the hell out of another. It's truly disgusting.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

It annoys me people who don't take any responsibility for things. "everything for a reason" "it's gods plan" stop praying for someone else to help you. Help yourself I say.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

One man's prayer is another man's thinking to himself. In each case, only one is ever listening.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I'm going to tell you a little story, Ninja. It is a TRUE story. It happened about two weeks ago.

I was backing out of my driveway on a Sunday morning, headed for church. I looked at the clock. 11:59. The last service is at 12:45 where I go to church. I go to this late service not because I am lazy, but because it works well with my 1-year old's morning nap schedule. Anyway. 11:59 is the time on my iPhone as I am backing out. I wanted to leave earlier than this so I had time to check my kids in and have some time to find a nice seat.

As I was backing out, I breathed out and said a little prayer to myself. Paraphrased, it was something like "God, I'm going to drive prudently this morning and not get all worked up over traffic, if you could just make it an easy drive this morning, I would be much obliged. Amen".

So as I am pulling into the church parking lot, I look at my iPhone clock again. 12:15. I'll spell it out for you: Twelve fifteen.

Why am I telling you this? Because, according to Google maps, it is 17 miles and takes 33 minutes from my house to my church.

I did drive prudently, in fact, caught probably 4 red lights, yet my average speed was... 64 miles per hour. 64 miles per hour on roads that have average posted speed limits of 45 mph or LESS.

I can confirm for you that it takes ALL of 33 minutes to make that drive on a GOOD day. In fact, it seldom takes me less than 45. How did I make it in 16 minutes?

You tell me.

edit on 25-12-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

It sounds to me like you were speeding. I'm not sure it was God's plan to put all those people in your path at risk.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by NiNjABackflip

It sounds to me like you were speeding. I'm not sure it was God's plan to put all those people in your path at risk.

It sounds to me like I was driving prudently, at the speed limit, which I clearly stated twice. Don't call me a liar, I do not appreciate it.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

yet my average speed was... 64 miles per hour. 64 miles per hour on roads that have average posted speed limits of 45 mph or LESS.

I apologize. I must've misread this statement somehow.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

yet my average speed was... 64 miles per hour. 64 miles per hour on roads that have average posted speed limits of 45 mph or LESS.

I apologize. I must've misread this statement somehow.

The point of my post was that it is not possible to traverse that distance on that road in that time. You would have to be speeding, with no traffic, no red lights. On a Sunday morning? Not possible.

Yet it happened.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Can you please help me understand how doing an average of 64mph on streets that have an average posted speed limits of 45 mph or LESS is not speeding? Maybe we can come to an agreement, but this discrepancy is boggling my mind.

I've gotten tickets for less.
edit on 25-12-2012 by NiNjABackflip because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Can you please help me understand how doing an average of 64mph on streets that have an average posted speed limits of 45 mph or LESS is not speeding? Maybe we can come to an agreement, but this discrepancy is boggling my mind.

I've gotten tickets for less.
edit on 25-12-2012 by NiNjABackflip because: (no reason given)

Your failure to grasp what I am telling you reinforces your assertion that you do not believe prayers are of any help to anyone. I doubt you will get it, either.

I. Was. Not. Speeding.

I. Was. Not. Speeding.

Do. You. Get. It?

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Travelling 64mph in a 45mph zone is speeding. Do. You. Not. Understand. What. I. Am. Trying. To. Say. Here? You sped to church and attribute your fast arrival on your prayer and not your dangerous lead foot? You sir have solidified my assertion with your lunacy.

Your failure to understand traffic laws might coincide with your failure to grasp how things in the world actually work. This is obvious.

Why don't you pray for something other than yourself? Maybe try for something a little more substantial or something worth mentioning next time.

edit on 26-12-2012 by NiNjABackflip because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Travelling 64mph in a 45mph zone is speeding. Do. You. Not. Understand. What. I. Am. Trying. To. Say. Here?

LOL...

What. we've. got. here. is...

"What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach."

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murgatroid

Travelling 64mph in a 45mph zone is speeding. Do. You. Not. Understand. What. I. Am. Trying. To. Say. Here?

LOL...

What. we've. got. here. is...

"What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach."

What we've got here is failure to acknowledge by the OP that something divine occurred as a result of prayer.

Ya see, he started a thread based on his belief system, and he will sit here and defend his beliefs come hell or high water, facts be damned.

OP, if you think I am going to speed to church with two little girls in my car, then you are a psychopath. Perhaps that is something YOU would do, but I would not, and did not.

/conversation

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Then why would you write that you went 64mph in a 45mph zone? If you weren't speeding you would've been doing an average of 44mph in 45mph zone. Was this a typo? Because your average of 64mph is 19mph above 45mph which you said was the average posted speed limit.

Or are you actually telling me God made you go that fast because of your very trite and petty prayer? This might be the first time I've laughed out loud on the internet. Take a picture.

You're either lying to me, yourself, but most likely both. No one likes lies.

"He that worketh deceit shall not dwell within my house: he that telleth lies shall not tarry in my sight."

Psalms 101:7

And you're calling me a psychopath?

"But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire."

Matthew 5:22

Nice try.

edit on 26-12-2012 by NiNjABackflip because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join