It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2013

page: 191
<< 188  189  190    192  193  194 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   
We have actually had a Mag 6 but USGS are not recording it as such while everyone else is.

Prov,Date/Time UTC,Latitude,Longitude,Magnitude,Depth(Km),Location
usgs,2013-12-08 17:24:53, 44.509, 149.071, 5.9, 25.4, Kuril Isls. (221)
gfzp,2013-12-08 17:24:54, 44.510, 149.150, 6.0, 23.0, Kuril Isls.
emsc,2013-12-08 17:24:54, 44.509, 149.176, 6.1, 25.0, Kuril Isls.
jma,2013-12-08 17:25:00, 45.000, 149.300, 6.2, 10.0, Etorofuto Nanto-Oki

Since 5.9mb is about 6.13 Mw why are they leaving it as mb scale?

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by dmremixer

My QVSData program list USGS, EMSC, Australia and New Zealand in a list in the Standard version and had a popup screen that can run without the main program running, and plays a sound if a quake is above a set magnitude. The only possible problem is that it only runs on Windows. I only use that program (Pro version) and never use the various web lists/charts

There are however various web sites that do the same but do not retain the data, some after 24 hours, and sometimes are not too fast on correcting errors even glaring ones.

Since you have used E3D you might find Live Earthquake Mashup to your liking. You can find most sites worldwide on my list - World Lists Very few are drawing from more than one provider but Earthqake Mashup and RSOE EDIS do.

Earthquake 3D appears to have ceased functioning. I suspect the reason is that he was using a USGS text feed and they have been changing all of them. I presume he will upgrade his program to a GeoJSON or new text feed in due course.

edit on 9/12/2013 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Texas. Earthquake.
earthquake.usgs.gov...
This is a report that says slippery clay can cause big earthquakes.
news.nationalgeographic.com...
I know I said that a couple of years ago. I'm so old. When I was young-( i am sure i was never young) I used to play in the mud. I lost some boots when they became stuck. But that was in the swamp. By our house, it was clay. You could run and slide on clay. Once you mix it up and play in it, it becomes incredibly slippery. As kids we made our own slip and slide. You could run and slide on your belly on the muddy ground. It's amazing stuff. One second it is thick and sticky, and it will adhere to you with a suction grip. But, when you got it wet enough, it became soupy and slick.

Do you know where my mind is heading?
Yes, they are lubricating the faults with water. The injection is making it slippery. I can't remember off hand exactly what the composition of the strata all across that grand land. But I'm sure there's some old dried up muddy clay under dere. And now those oilboys are pumping down some K-Y Jelly or somting.

It is not prediction to see the train wreck coming. It's applying physics.

Oh, there's a geologist's meeting and they're going to talk about man-made earthquakes tonight, LIVE and times are listed here for other topics as well. 8 EST if you're in the U.S.

m.livescience.com...

Here's a report about man-made earthquakes. Don't shoot the messenger.
www.ibtimes.co.uk...

edit on 9-12-2013 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by dmremixer

Never bothered to look at that thing.
As well as the one P'man mentioned there is also Wilber3
and the map version of QVS DPro , GSAIM
Neither is Live or Automatically Updating, if that is what 3D view did.
Automated Live Earthquake sites seem to be really hard to maintain, as the data feeds keep changing, most depend on USGS, EMSC or GFZ.
GSAIM is loaded within 5-17 hrs of the end of the UTC (GMT) day, and has more detail than Live Earthquake Mashup, and as more data comes in it is updated and archived forever.
If its lists or maps of individual countries etc that you want to have a look at, the first page of this Topic has the links. www.abovetopsecret.com...&mem=
edit on 1200000034234213 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
08/12/2013 Global ECG Experiment
(click image for larger version, opens in new tab/window)

this style or the one last page?

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I don't know if this was mentioned back in August - I don't remember it - and to be honest I am not going to trudge all the way back through the pages to find out

Oil companies begin 'fracking' in China’s most dangerous earthquake zone

And yes, before anyone say it, it is RT but somehow I don't think this report is part of an agenda and anyway I do not see 'Reds under the Bed'.

The Chinese want to join the shale gas revolution, even if it means drilling for oil in China’s earthquake hot bed in the Sichuan region, where nearly 70,000 died in an earthquake in 2008.

Royal Dutch Shell Plc and China National Petroleum have started 'fracking' operations in the province.
(..............)
Drilling for oil in the Longmenshan mountain range, where India and Asia meet, could increase tremors in the already highly-sensitive area....

Now there's sensible!!

Maybe it is part of Agenda 21 on second thoughts

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

this style or the one last page?

This style, not that there is much difference. I think the x makes it easier to see the position in the band.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Another one.....

As it said "experimental" at this stage.
The idea is to see if there are any trends or indications before larger quakes, or if there is any triggering effect (clusters) or if there is anything at all that stands out.
These graphs only show preliminary data from the main QSV DataPro download and NIED download, I could add the others like Colombia, Italy, Iceland, Spain and China too but it would take a bit more time, and even the USGS data doubles in quantity in the smaller numbers once they do reviews at the 7 day mark, and the graph would probably get too cluttered.
When I get time I'll do a reviewed data graph and see what comes out.
One graph on its own won't show much, you need to compare days, and to that end these will have to go on a new page of their own so they are able to be viewed as a group, rather than under each days post (on GSAIM).

I'll mark M4.5 and above, if they will fit.
edit on 12u34334313 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

edit on 1200000034334313 by muzzy because: ooopps wrong thumbnail (fixed now)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Crazy eh.

Will keep a watch on the Longmenshan mountain range area in the CEDC data to see if there is an uptick in quantities of earthquakes there (there already is a lot of minor and micros each month)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I was reading Extinction Protocol ( I know, I know) and came across this comment. I wonder if there is ANY truth to it whatsoever. In a way his comment makes sense but it also makes sense that fracking causes unneeded harm to an already unstable environment .. but... what do I know. lol

What do the experts on ATS have to say about this below?

To the scientifically challenged reader- what might initially seem to be a great danger is that these fracking operation may just ,in the long run, prevent “the big one”. Earthquakes happen when stresses building up in adjacent rock formations exceed the shear strength (resistance to breaking apart) of the material (the rocks). If one can lubricate these faults, then the shear forces necessary to cause the fault to slip become greatly diminished. There can be (there are) many immediate slips/quakes of lower magnitude. If those stresses are allowed to continue to build (without fracking intervention) then, when the shear point is finally reached, a “natural” quake results which will obviously be of much greater magnitude (the BIG ONE?) than the earlier artificially created events. Here’s an analogy: You’re standing on the roof of a 20 story building and need to get down to the parking lot (you’ve got to scrub off a lot of potential energy to get down there)
Do you simply jump -releasing that energy all at once (the big one) or do you go down the stairs one at a time – releasing that same amount of energy in a series of small drops?
This fear mongering is being pushed by proponents of Agenda 21 who want to completely shut down our country, People, THINK – question everything!
Retired Chemist and Physicist (but not for any oil related businesses)
theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com... nts

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Yeah I'd go along with that.
Having noted that when things do go quiet a big one usually hits soon after, I'd prefer lots of small ones all the time.
Its the below ground water aquafier pollution that is the main concern with fracking though.
I like anology with jumping off a 20 story roof (big one) versus taking the stairs (small quakes), although I'd probably take the lift ( a magnitude 4.8?), keep life interesting without too much damage.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

In my opinion complete nonsense. Fracking is at best 5 miles down. The average quake is 10 to 20 miles down. There is probably more abiotic water finding its way up through the strata than will ever find its way down to that sort of depth from fracking.

If we considered the average fracking quake as Mag 3 (and that I think is on the high side) then it would take ~32,000 of those to relieve the stress of 1 mag 6.

ETA: I was just reviewing the text of that again

Here’s an analogy: You’re standing on the roof of a 20 story building and need to get down to the parking lot (you’ve got to scrub off a lot of potential energy to get down there)
Do you simply jump -releasing that energy all at once (the big one) or do you go down the stairs one at a time – releasing that same amount of energy in a series of small drops?
This fear mongering is being pushed by proponents of Agenda 21 who want to completely shut down our country, People, THINK – question everything!
Retired Chemist and Physicist (but not for any oil related businesses)

Physicist he may be but he obviously has little understanding of earthquakes. His analogy is rubbish as it takes no account of the logarithmic scale of earthquake energies.

As to his outburst about fear mongering it actually makes me think that perhaps he has an agenda to support fracking. Yes I am questioning everything including his support for fracking.

I do not intend to go anywhere near the Stinking Protocol to make that point however.

If this gentleman is not actually having his judgement clouded by remuneration for allowing fracking on his land then I suspect he would be a NIMBY despite his support. It may not affect him directly, and it does not affect me directly yet but that does not mean that I support fracking even though I understand the need for clean energy. I would rather go without than introduce earthquakes to the area, which will affect many more than just me.

edit on 11/12/2013 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   
This mag 5.9mb earthquake that I mentioned I am considering as a magnitude 6 as all the other providers, as I noted, have mag 6 and USGS has two moment tensors of mag 6 or greater including Mw on the wphase.

Quite why they are sticking to their mb value is beyond me.

2 downgrades have just come through

Downgraded quake
mag=6, 2013-11-19 13:32:53 UTC, 110km NNE of Tobelo. Indonesia
This was originally 6.3 and then dropped after a day or so to Mag 6.1. Now down to 6.0

Downgraded quake
mag=6.4, 2013-11-12 07:03:51 UTC, 172km S of UstÂ’-Kamchatsk Staryy. Russia
Originally a mag 6.6 and now dropped to mag 6.4. This one is right on the limit of what I can detect has changed automatically. Beyond 30 days it has to be dome manually.

edit on 11/12/2013 by PuterMan because: Ah, the inevitable speeling erra

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   

dmremixer
reply to post by PuterMan

hey... is it just me or is equake3d not working anymore?

and i'd like to ask, what do you guys use for EQ monitoring, in a fast way. i don't want to look chart by chart.

thx in advance.

I saw the other comments to you but just wanted to say that you should make sure you have the latest version of EQ3D. I have 4.0.2.9 (the free version) and it's working fine. This updated version is able to receive the USGS data since they changed things around. So, just go to his site and d/l the newest version if you haven't already done so. If you did, try deleting the file and download it again. It's always possible to get a file that didn't d/l cleanly.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
"More than 300 earthquakes above a magnitude 3.0 occurred in the three years from 2010-2012, compared with an average rate of 21 events per year observed from 1967-2000,” a USGS report states."

Faults are not lonely things. They rub shoulders with ancient, locked faults. Energy in. Energy out. Stress alleviated in one place, are then transfer to an adjacent zone. Loading. Sure, the fault line you're putting pressure on runs it's course and has no pent up energy, but the others in the neighbourhood are spring loaded.

In Arkansas, the magnitudes were going up as they continued to inject on that one fault. They stopped. So, we must say that from the first big injection site, a base in Colorado, we are talking about a fault that can produce 5M.

Mr. Austin has his experiment. It's happening all over the place. All you have to do is collect the data. And as for how big an injection quake can get, it seems they're trying their best to get a big one in Oklahoma or Texas. And let's not forget about Arkansas. I looked at a map the other day and felt ill. All those fracking pads. It's like seeing a small child with the measles.

now i am sad

Oh, the article with the quote...

www.ringoffireradio.com...

As I've stated before, all the evidence is there to convict the geologists and the oilboys.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Yeah, PM I figured you wouldn't want to click on the site but I had to tell ya where I read it. lol

I appreciate your and muzzy's and of course Robin's pov. I still do not like fracking and cannot think for a minute it may cause the big one not to happen. I want to entertain the thought though but it's not one that holds true for me. I wish there was scientific data that points to that very notion but I haven't found any. The analogy sounds good though.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
further to post by muzzy

OK, so I've done a "reviewed" graph, for 01/12/2013, lots more quakes of course, and pretty hectic time-wise, not many gaps globally, set at 20 minute increments, includes Iceland, Spain, Italy, Colombia and JMA reviewed (replaces NIED preliminary) as well as the original main QVSDP download.
Where there are multiple crosses at the peaks this shows the various magnitudes the networks pinned the M at. There is no allowance for magnitude type difference, so I've marked the biggest estimate only.

New page with several graphs for comparison created here. I opened 3 tabs and switched between them to compare them. Could be set up as a slideshow though. Not going to go that far just yet, need to get a routine going where preliminary changes to reviewed, I keep forgetting which is which on the QVSDP files, have to get more organized.

Note to ATS Staff: The pop-up box in ATS Images for copying and pasting images is way too small!, it takes several attempts to scroll your cursor over the url text for the full size image, time that could be spent on more productive endeavors. We are only here on this Planet once, and for a relatively short time, so don't need to waste it on fiddling with defective formatting Posted in Complaints
edit on 12u34434413 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

Of course the ideal graph would be one that was a month (or a year) long that moved along it as you scrolled to the right or left, not sure how that is done as there are limitations on image size. Probably need a special program to make that work? Example here on Live Earthquake Mashup (at the top)
edit on 1200000034434413 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Im putting it out there. Im nervous tonight. (Pacific time)

Some part of the west coast of North America may get from a 7 or 9+ Mag quake by later this evening or by tomorrow morning.

I see too much activity tonight and all day long watching it.

I hope nothing happens and i am wrong but i would feel worse if i didn't let others know how i feel.

edit on 7/30/2012 by dreamfox1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/30/2012 by dreamfox1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamfox1

I will raise you Santa Cruz Islands/Vanuatu. Lots going on there that you are not seeing in the lists.

gsaim.wordpress.com...

I think the next big one will be in that region.

edit on 12/12/2013 by PuterMan because: Digital dyslexia rools KO

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Thanks Mike.

Appreciate the heads up (Line 2 Mr Moderator Sir!)

new topics

top topics

<< 188  189  190    192  193  194 >>

join