It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists: Biological Weapons Pose Major Threat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Well I was thinking the dirty bomb was the biggie, maybe I was wrong.

This is getting serious with 1 week to go.

Scientists: Biological Weapons Pose Major Threat
Mon October 25, 2004 09:28 AM ET

By Jeremy Lovell
LONDON (Reuters) - Biological weapons that can wipe out whole populations pose one of the biggest threats to the world today yet remain almost completely uncontrolled, the British Medical Association said Monday.

It urged the United States to stop blocking attempts to strengthen the Biological and Toxin Weapons Convention (BTWC) when it comes up for renewal in 2006.

"This technology could be used by sub-state terror groups and eventually by deranged individuals," Malcolm Dando, author of the BMA's study, Biological Weapons and Humanity II, told reporters at a news conference.

He warned that the development of biological weapons designed to target specific ethnic groups was coming closer to reality, and said it was already theoretically possible to recreate devastating viruses like the 1918 Spanish flu epidemic that killed 40 million people.

The anthrax attacks in the United States in 2001 and the engineered nerve agent fentanyl used by the Russians to end the Moscow theater siege with disastrous results in 2002 showed that biological weapons already existed, Dando said.

www.reuters.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Was it ever a question that these things existed? The US maintained for years that it had a bioweapons program. Not for offensive purposes, but to study it, why was it a question that these things existed? Also, the US Mail Anthrax, that was a strain developed from US labs, not produced by non state agents.

Not that I am saying this isn't a huge problem.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
When people hear this they blame Bush for scaring the public to get votes. It is too bad that this is true and no matter how scary or bad it sounds it is still true. I pray America is not attacked but I fear they have become complacent as can be seen by the laughing the color code recieves.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by verfed
When people hear this they blame Bush for scaring the public to get votes. It is too bad that this is true and no matter how scary or bad it sounds it is still true. I pray America is not attacked but I fear they have become complacent as can be seen by the laughing the color code recieves.

I am afraid you are correct, this seems like a scenerio that COULD very well happen, cheap and effective.

top topics

join