It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The very strange case of Enoch Soames, time travel, Teller, my friend's dad, and his unique photo.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by manmental

The angular man with the camera leans forward and takes a snapshot. Soames does not flinch.

why would the alledge "soames " flinch ? [ or not ] - hint look at the picture and explain why he should flinch ?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

Then there was the movie in this thread:
ATS:1938 mobile phone

And this tale.
There was a story of a woman walking out of a restroom, and running into a lady wearing clothing from the late victorian time. From the report the victorian looking lady was very confused about what was going on, and turned back to the door and walked in side the restroom. When the women who witnessed this followed the victorian lady into the restroom, they couldn't find here anywhere.

The story got dismissed because one of the witnesses was married to a science fiction writer. The other two women that had seen the victorian lady were the ones that had reported the event, and the sci-fi writers wife didn't wnat to talk about since the event had upset her.

Originally posted by cyberjedi
Staged,hoax,fraud

As for time travel, we all travel through time. However, it is not possible to 'jump' from one particular point in time to another. We could alter our experience of passing time, but thats about it. Jumps through time, skipping time, is not possible.
Electrons do it all the time.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Guyfriday
reply to post by Cinrad

Then there was the movie in this thread:
ATS:1938 mobile phone

I hadnt seen that one before, thanks, however it could be argued that she is holding the item up to her neck not ear, it seems a bit low. Anyway, I specificaly found the Charlie Chaplin connection interesting.

Sorry, I am derailing a bit but just looked this up
Patrice Chaplin:

I suffer a bit from facial blindness, could someone have a look at the footage in the Chaplin movie and see if it could be the same person?

Here is her on video
vimeo.com...

edit on 23/12/12 by Cinrad because: Add photo of Patrice Chaplin

edit on 23/12/12 by Cinrad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Hi I haven't read all the posts but following the links it said this

Teller is the shorter, quieter half of the noir comedy magic team Penn & Teller.

From this www.theatlantic.com...

I will say no more!!!!
edit on 24-12-2012 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-12-2012 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
WHy is the moon orange right now

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I am a time traveller from the year 1972

I know you wont believe me but I dont need you to.

What I did is travel at a high speed round the Sun 40 times, this has brought me to the present date, the future.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Too bad we can't confirm if this is really happened as the story claims.

We might need to wait until a time machine is invented or a machinery that can make us to see the past and future(Chrono-visor).

Or get Teller to somehow tell us if he is behind the curtains.
Maybe truth serum would work.

Not like anybody would go that far.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sublevel6

What I did is travel at a high speed round the Sun 40 times, this has brought me to the present date, the future.

That took me far longer than it should have...

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Very interesting story. Thanks OP!

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sublevel6

How did you manage to join ATS in 2009 then?

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   

If this is the British Library in London, then today, just as in 1997, a reading pass is required to visit the reading rooms. This would mean the persons name would be listed as having entered the reading room on that day.

www.bl.uk...

That's the current information about visiting the reading rooms, but the principle behind it has been there for decades.

edit on 24-12-2012 by something wicked because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by something wicked

If this is the British Library in London, then today, just as in 1997, a reading pass is required to visit the reading rooms.

Hiya. The incident took place in the British Museum Reading Room, not the British Library as it is today.
But I do believe you are correct in that some sort of readers pass was needed to enter. Good point.
I like to think that Soames materializes in the Reading Room itself.

But if one wanted to do a meticulous investigation I suppose one could find out the names of the many visitors prior to 2.10pm on that day and then research each individual to see if they had any connection to Teller, for starters.
Bit too much work for me to do!

And if it was Teller then I would bet he has that angle covered somehow!

And if it is true then I think a 19th century Soames would have fared okay with the antiquated catalogue system British libraries and museums were notorious for until the 21st century.

Thanks so much for all the flags by the way! Feels like Christmas! (Oh wait... it is...)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
very interesting indeed

did he publish any observations of his first trip to the library ?

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Fun read!

I think it's a hoax as well, but very amusingly done. Why he is wearing a cloak? I think perhaps whoever carried this hoax out should have researched a bit before choosing that form of garb for the poet. In late 1880s fashion, cloaks were not your normal attire. I feel they put him in a cloak because they felt it would convey he "came from the past." You would be hard pressed to find photos of any man wearing a cloak from that time frame, it would have been very uncommon. They'd more often wear an opera cloak, and even then, it would be a fancy affair.

Looks like they tried to make the fellow look like a Musketeer.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by manmental

Originally posted by something wicked

If this is the British Library in London, then today, just as in 1997, a reading pass is required to visit the reading rooms.

Hiya. The incident took place in the British Museum Reading Room, not the British Library as it is today.
But I do believe you are correct in that some sort of readers pass was needed to enter. Good point.
I like to think that Soames materializes in the Reading Room itself.

Hi there, good point, in a way, but the British Museum reading room moved to the British library in (co-incidentally) 1997, but the original was re-opened to the public in 2000, just had to check that. And yes, credentials were required prior to the re-opening.

BTW, Happy Christmas!!!
edit on 24-12-2012 by something wicked because: added the 'prior to' bit for clarification

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlySolo
reply to post by mutatismutandis

Well kudos to you for going through the trouble, I'm actually surprised he responded as quickly as he did. If at all.
Is there anything in that email you are privy to, suggest he already has a copy of the picture?

I forwarded him the link to the flicker account, so he did have the pic.

As soon as i can get a screenshot of the email i will post it for you. Like i said before i will have to block part of the address, but i will make sure there is enough to show it is indeed him without compromising his privacy.

Does anyone here know of an android app that allows screen shots of the phone?

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Teller is certainly a bit of a trickster, and staging something like this is certainly up his alley.

The only thing here that makes me wonder otherwise is this wasnt a publicity stunt. If it had been, more media outlets would have been brought on board, and why would he stage something that no one knew about. He only writes the article after the fact...if he were staging it, wouldnt it make more sense to attract as much attention to it before hand as possible?

Even the article he wrote reached a very limited audience...this post here has probably attracted more attention to his article now than when it was first published.

All things concidered, im still on the fence about this...and you can see from his response to my email, he certainly isnt going to let on one way or the other.

Which is no shocker, because it is what he does best.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by mutatismutandis
Teller is certainly a bit of a trickster, and staging something like this is certainly up his alley.

The only thing here that makes me wonder otherwise is this wasnt a publicity stunt. If it had been, more media outlets would have been brought on board, and why would he stage something that no one knew about. He only writes the article after the fact...if he were staging it, wouldnt it make more sense to attract as much attention to it before hand as possible?

Even the article he wrote reached a very limited audience...this post here has probably attracted more attention to his article now than when it was first published.

All things concidered, im still on the fence about this...and you can see from his response to my email, he certainly isnt going to let on one way or the other.

Which is no shocker, because it is what he does best.

After a bit of research......

The reading rooms in the British Museum were temporarily closed in 1997, bookstacks removed and the rooms were resited at the British Library. This means (admittedly I don't know the exact date, but I'm going for early in the year as it would have been a major piece of work). The reading rooms in the Museum did not re-open to the public until 2000.

Now, personally I think this is no more than a fable based on a book published early in the 20th century, it means that if 'Enoch Soames' (fictional character) had materialised in the readings rooms of the British Museum in 1997, he wouldn't had done a lot of reading, nor would he have been seen. That means he would have had to find out where the 'new' reading rooms were and make his way over to Saint Pancras - assuming of course the Devil didn't know about the planned renovation and diverted him over there.

Also not quite sure why a poet would want to go to the reading rooms of a museum rather than a library, but that's a little foible of the story I guess.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
What really doesn't feel right, is WHY, if Teller went through all of the long-term planning to actually be in the reading room on that particular time and date as a result of his interest in this mysterious story, did Teller, himself, not bring a camera along to take a photo as well?

Truthfully, who wouldn't have brought their camera to document Soames' arrival, given Teller's interest and efforts regarding this story?

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAMTAT
What really doesn't feel right, is WHY, if Teller went through all of the long-term planning to actually be in the reading room on that particular time and date as a result of his interest in this mysterious story, did Teller, himself, not bring a camera along to take a photo as well?

Maybe he did. That is a great question to ask him though!
Teller really should have latched hold of poor Soames and transported himself back to 1897 with Soames and seen if the time-continuem really works...

Or maybe this isn't the end of the 'trick' and that is why Teller is still being brilliantly mysterious...?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join