It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Getting spleep paralysis more often.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Not too long ago I had my first expierence with sleep paralysis when returning from Myrtle Beach, SC. I was exhausted and I flopped down on the bed, I start relaxing and hearing the sound of the fan then all of a sudden the fan starts like ..... I can't describe the noise its almost like a skip in a cd or a glitch in something or like you would hear in the matrix. The whole time I wanted to scream for help but couldn't. That was my first but recently its been happening alot and I think I'm figuring out why it happens so much. I get sleep paralysis when I oversleep I believe because last night about 6 p.m. I went to sleep then I woke back up at 9:30. I watched tv for a bit and about 10:30 I thought it was time for bed so I stare at the tv screen and turn it off. Now my satalite dish reviever has this green light and it's the only light on in my room. The next thing I know I'm suddenly strucken with fear almost like a tingling fear all over my body and as I lay on my side gazing at the green light it dances everywhere while I try to yell but I can't so I try to calm down and think but there is just to much fear. The only way I get out of this is just letting go. I dont know if I was sleeping and woke up with sleep paralysis or I spaced out on something and became paralyzed and this is something I still can't figure out. I'm getting sleep paralysis more often and everytime I get it I try to have an oobe but I'm to scared to even consider this...... any help?

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Oh man, I know that feeling EXACTLY. It started for me when I was stationed at Bahsdal GE with the 606th Tactical Control Squadron. Our barracks were on Carl Shurtz Kassern. It was an old Nazi sub base. Our barracks were the office buildings for them. You could still make out swastikas in the brick.

I woke up one night standing staring out my window at the quad in the middle. It was really eerie feeling. THEN when I started to go to sleep I could feel my body going but my mind was not quite there. It felt like I had tons of weight on my body and I kept trying to wake up but couldnt.

I actually asked the flight surgeon about it. Thats how I found out about sleep paralisis. From what I remember he said that the body produces some chemical to slightly paralize you so you dont get up and act out the dream.

Not long after I got married I was telling my wife about it and she looked at me like I was from Mars or something. Then she actually saw it first hand. She said that she could tell I was really having a bad 'dream', trying to move and kind of moaning. She said I finally said help and she woke me up. I was afraid to go back to sleep because each time I did that weighty, numb feeling kept coming back. But I finally got to the point where as soon as I started figuring out what was going on I would MAKE myself wake up. Hard but it worked. I have not had but maybe three to five episodes since Monica woke me up. I honestly think her waking me up helped my mind to learn to break out of it. Its just a thought.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
well, I think that by recognizing the difference between sleep disturbances and *something's out to get me* is the first step in the right direction. Sometimes it can be stress and deep seeded issues or upsets in your past. I know that lucid dreaming/sleep paralysis are more common with those who have been in therapy and then enter a high stress period. Generally what helps...
talk about it to those who can understand.
Stay low anxiety. read fun books. LAUGH LAUGH LAUGH...it really is the best cure.
Hugs, things that make you feel safe. a pet..whatever makes you feel safe and secure. Read up on the subject.

I went through a period of this when I was under stress, anxious and yes i think traumas from childhood, which were in the process of being put behind me once and for all were surfacing in the form of night terrors. Just remember that the best thing to do is find someone who can understand and help, and be kind and understanding to yourself. I had this problem for a brief period as i was in my last weeks of college, but its been a long time since I had any such disturbances. I'd chill with the OOBE's and just work on relaxation/healing meditations during any altered states.

hope this helps.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
i get this too. Like dreams , sleep paralysis is a state in which you are half conscious and half unconcious. when dealing with the unconcious ,the first initial thought dictates all others and is never consciously considered. In your case the first initial thought is fear. but why can't you overcome you're fear and experience an OBE? Because you're plunging into the unknown, and fear is always the emotion that ties with the unknown.people fear ghosts, extra erresterials, occultism, and some fear self-exploration, because it is unknown, and even more fearful-cannot be explained.If you accept the state of conciousnes and truly remember your personal values like (im guessing) peace,love,etc. you'll immeadiately find safety within yourself.And remember, just because you dont have control of your body, dosn't mean you don't have control over your mind.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Here's a recent thread talking about sleep paralysis. It has descriptions, tips, and all sorts of goodness that you might find interesting.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

join