It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US, War, China, and the European GPS System

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Chinese officials have stated that war is inevitable with the US

where do u get this,i have never heard of this before.on the contrary,the
officials had formally stated again and again to develop friendship with the US.
no one want a war,and the chinese people is no exception.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
Chinese officials have stated that war is inevitable with the US, and they prefer to have the upper hand. It is no secret that this is what the CHinese have wanted for a long time.

- The existence of rent-a-quote over-excited military absorbed war-pervs on 'their' side making stupid comments - some time ago - is hardly 'proof' that war is what is either desired or planned by the current Chinese leadership/people.

Just as stupid old comments by 'our' rent-a-quote over-excited military absorbed war-pervs do not reflect the desires or plans of 'our' leadership/people.

Wise up.

[edit on 27-10-2004 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chakotay

The USA could not attack the Euro GPS system as the debris from that system would knock out every other satellite in the geo-stationary 'belt'.....which means just about every valuable satellite going.

Umm... 'could not' is incorrect. There are existant means that leave no debris. I will not answer queries on the number or nature of such means.

- Well that's interesting.

Obviously I was not meaning that it was beyond the capabilities of (several) countries to physically attack the satellites. I was concerned with the obvious practical effects of this kind of attack which I believe rule out that possibility.

I am very interested in this method you claim to know about whereby the satellites could be destroyed with no debris left.

This I find hard to believe as even a sizeable nuclear attack right up close to the satellite would initially probably vapourise the satellite but it would eventually condense to become 'hot' fast moving dense debris in the geostationary belt.

(and nuclear explosions in that belt - particularly any with the necessary 'spread' - are IMO a very very bad idea for everything you want to retain and believe valuable to yourself)

I suppose you could try a non-destructive attack but success might not be guaranteed and then that carries risks as the satellite's navigation system would be attacked too and rogue uncontrolled big GPS satellites carrying significant amounts of fuel in the 'belt' are a very very bad idea too, are they not?

Far better to leave them alone and have the potential enemy unable to depend on the info being supplies.

Anyhoo; I think the entire idea of a 'coming US / China conflict' as stupid as it is dangerous as it would be self-harming.

Hopefully we're not that stupid and unbalanced.

[edit on 27-10-2004 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I believe that the US military has a separate GPS for its own use, and DID shut down it's civilian GPS during the invasion of Iraq. I also believe that they shut down the (civilian) GPS in the vicinity of carrier groups on priority missions.

Maybe someone with recent navy/marine experience can answer this. I only know what I've heard through the rumor mill as a businessperson in the contested areas.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 08:28 AM
link   
This may seem like a strange idea but the sats up there are only remotely controled ie no actual military personel are aboard any sats. Therefore it would be possible (in theory) to use super computers to break the code that commands the sats and take control of them yourself. Either the US or EU i am sure could do this to each other if it came to that. I wouldnt be surprised if the US could just overide the gallileo system from EU control and render it totally inert until hostilities are over.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   
You r all a total idiots ( I bet u r americans ), First y is China a hostile country to US. You think that if a country is militarily strong, then its an enemy?!
Second if US start shooting down the Galileo network, that will be an act of war to every country in Europe!!!!

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pavel
You r all a total idiots ( I bet u r americans ), First y is China a hostile country to US. You think that if a country is militarily strong, then its an enemy?!
Second if US start shooting down the Galileo network, that will be an act of war to every country in Europe!!!!

I'm assuming that you live in Europe?

You say that as if EU could actually take on the US.

Every nation with a growing military is under constant surveillance by the US. If wse didn't take every threat seriously then we might as well take down our superpower status.

Look, the countries that we have the closest eye on is NK & Iran & kinda Syria, but that is mainly because of the threat of nukes, china has had nukes for a long time, so they are probably stable enough to own them, but they still are a communist country, So its not that were waiting for war against China, its that when/if it comes that we will be ready and prepared for it.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago

i think we could. right now considering all of the USMC fleet is in the persian gulf i doubt its in any position to hurt us. and with some of the best fighters avalible and the best trained troops in the world i believe we can take you.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Taking out Galileo is attacking a third party and provoking a response from that third party. The US would be foolish to do so. I am sure something could be negotiated out during a time of war.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

Originally posted by Murcielago

i think we could. right now considering all of the USMC fleet is in the persian gulf i doubt its in any position to hurt us. and with some of the best fighters avalible and the best trained troops in the world i believe we can take you.

I am not trying to be rude but what kind of take on are you talking about? US already has fighters ,bombers, etc in Europe. Almost all action on the ocean would be taken out because there are few US subs in the Gulf right now.

I don't believe that the US would ever attack Europe though. If China did something that bad to make the US shoot down sats I believe that the Europeans would behind the US. I dont think the European sat system is the one to worry about anyways. Russia is building their system and it is more likely that the Chinese would use a Russian system.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetsetter

I am not trying to be rude but what kind of take on are you talking about? US already has fighters ,bombers, etc in Europe. Almost all action on the ocean would be taken out because there are few US subs in the Gulf right now.

the US fighters and jets ,etc are in BASES well known one's but one's that are outdated and premarked by the goverments own fores. i mean if we wanted to we could level US airbases here by sending a "training" wing towards their base. next thing you know the base is gone.

I don't believe that the US would ever attack Europe though. If China did something that bad to make the US shoot down sats I believe that the Europeans would behind the US. I dont think the European sat system is the one to worry about anyways. Russia is building their system and it is more likely that the Chinese would use a Russian system.

yeah , i thought the chinese were makeing one as well?

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 07:19 AM
link   
As I said, there is no need to shoot down the sats. We designed Galileo, we can turn it off. But more likely we will not turn it off but make it incredibly inaccurate.
Our armies would not be affected.. Then we put our tanks onto Trains, drive through Russia and have some fun with Leos at the Chinese Border.

US going to war with EU is complete nonsense. We are incredibly connected and depend on each other too much. The world marketswould collapse completly.
AFAIR there has never been war betweeen two democracies.

If you did shot them down, the worst thing we would do, is sue you :p

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by tsuribito
As I said, there is no need to shoot down the sats. We designed Galileo, we can turn it off. But more likely we will not turn it off but make it incredibly inaccurate.

Yes see, don't you all get it? Euro and US want China to rely on this sat so at the crucial moment they turn it off or make it inaccurate (as tsuribito said)... it amazes me that some of you are stupid enough to believe the euro would back china in a war with US, utter FU BS

Now run along children....

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I find it laughable anyone can think the US and China will ever come to blows. The US and China are allies now so what is all this talk of immenent war. Did nobody see this demonstrated this week when Powell gave a wink over Taiwan and China reciprocated with a nod when they gave a surprise interest rate hike.

Good grief China can bring the US to its knees in less than a day. All they have to do is sell all of their US treasury holdings and in a few short hours it would all be over. Forget about war as you know it those days are long gone. Economic deterrants are much more effective than nuclear deterrents these days for the big boys.

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by suihx

Chinese officials have stated that war is inevitable with the US

where do u get this,i have never heard of this before.on the contrary,the
officials had formally stated again and again to develop friendship with the US.
no one want a war,and the chinese people is no exception.

You have never heard that the US and China might fight eachother? Do you live under a rock?

I found this article at "Chinadaily" of all places.

from the site
TIME TO UNITE THE WHOLE OF CHINA AND IT IS THE RIGHT
TIME TO TAKE ON THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA IF THE US
CHOOSE TO FIGHT CHINA !

Sounds like China is plenty aware of what could happen.

Chinadaily article

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Will the US have to repay the cost to the states that sponsored the Galileo Project. Pay back the research time, launching resources, and sattelites themselves, as well as data the countries couldn't recieve and whatever catastrophies happened because of that...is the u.s. financially liable if it takes that course of action?

I would assume yes but who knows

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Just your friendly neighborhood Mod here. Please refrain from personal attacks and name calling. Actually everyone (but one person, you know who you are) has been very good at what could have been a very heated topic.

Thanks
FredT

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by SomewhereInChina
Will the US have to repay the cost to the states that sponsored the Galileo Project. Pay back the research time, launching resources, and sattelites themselves, as well as data the countries couldn't recieve and whatever catastrophies happened because of that...is the u.s. financially liable if it takes that course of action?

I would assume yes but who knows

No.

Remember they said that they would only shoot down thier Galileo network if China used it for war purposes.

BTW, your not supposed to make you text the same color of your background.

[edit on 30-10-2004 by Murcielago]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join