It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wondering about a 'charity' you were asked to donate to?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I found this article which contains some very useful tools for those of use who are generous - but cautious...

A Consumer's Guide to Spotting "Fake" Charities

This is a collection of steps and resources anyone can use to ensure they are not being scammed by a charity....

In today's world of instant communications - it pays to be circumspect about simply charitable giving....

While I don't agree that "if you haven't heard of a charity - don't donate" and am certain that just because the "charity name" has a media pumped buzz word in it - it's no guarantee that it's legit...

• Check the domain registration using WHOIS. One online WHOIS tool is here. If it is a "private registration", it is suspect and move along.
  • Check with the IRS whether the organization is, in fact, tax exempt. Their lookup tool is here. If the website doesn't have an organization name, it's suspect. If they are talking to you, try to get their tax ID (or FEIN) number. Ask for a copy of their IRS Form 990 (which they are required to disclose). Many states also require charities to register themselves and you can search those filings online as well.
  • Check with Guidestar which is sort of a Consumer Reports / Better Business Bureau for charities.

It's a short, but useful read... with an example or two thrown in for good measure.
edit on 20-12-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Good info! I usually just donate locally, be it the community food bank, the local animal shelters etc etc... I NEVER donate to organizations who advertise on television....

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
It may also do potential contributors well to consider what they define as hard work, and then understand that what's done with that donation is, 90% of the time, NOT hard work. I went the non-profit route when fed-up by corporatism. And the only thing worse than corporatism is the charity racket.

To avoid this trap, look around you. See that guy with two kids at the grocery store telling his daughter "No" to the yogurt she wants as a snack? Slip a $20 into the top of his cart.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Charities are tax-shelters for the wiley.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963
reply to post by Maxmars

Good info! I usually just donate locally, be it the community food bank, the local animal shelters etc etc... I NEVER donate to organizations who advertise on television....

Best method there is, in my opinion! Just about any place has some local charity you can donate to. Don't overlook local churches that help out, either. Some of the larger ones even run their own food banks. Much simpler than worrying about where the money goes, and if anyone in need gets it!

To the OP, good thread. Lots of scams these days, even in the wake of tragedies. Pays to be careful!

top topics

join