It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Bush Blocks UN Ban on Cloning Human Beings

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   
The UN was working to ban human cloning � but Bush blocked the ban by pushing an omnibus proposal that also prohibits therapeutic stem cell cloning. Every nation in the world agrees that human cloning should be banned, but several nations already have enacted laws to allow therapeutic stem cell cloning. So everyone knew the �total ban� proposal was doomed to failure. Whatever Bush said he was doing, what he actually did do was prevent the creation of an international law to stop human cloning.

www.nytimes.com
"All 191 United Nations members agree on a treaty that would prohibit cloning human beings, an idea first proposed in 2001, but they are divided over whether to broaden the ban to cover therapeutic cloning.

The Bush administration is aggressively seeking the total ban. That has set it against close allies like Britain and much of the world's scientific establishment, who contend that it would block research on cancer, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, diabetes, spinal cord injuries, multiple sclerosis and other conditions."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Human cloning is the Frankenstein face of biotechnology � and the final step in the Eugenics Movement�s stated objective to breed �the superior race.� The Eugenics Movement has been pursuing this goal for a century under one flag or another, most recently as �genetics.� By superior race, Eugenicists mean people with abilities �appropriate to their class� and designated function. In point of fact, only rulers need be intelligent and creative; other classes and functions require different capacities.

Protected by Bush�s actions, current international laws allow the Eugenics Movement�s �work� to continue unhindered.

Therapeutic stem cell cloning is different from human cloning. The US and the entire world are faced with a host of epidemic incurable �modern� diseases. These diseases result in early death or disability � and disabled survivors are already straining nations� budgets around the world. The situation is worsening rapidly and dramatically.

Most modern epidemic diseases result from protein conformational problems that lead to genetic and stem cell mutations, then tissue and organ destruction and often in the final stages, cancer. The trick to treating these diseases is to stop more cells from mutating, prevent already mutated cells from mutating further and then, to reverse existent cell mutations.

Stem cell therapies offer the best promise to halt and reverse disease progression, and prevent mass disability. Cloning is required because the therapies work by cell-cell contact. Numbers count, and healthy stem cells need to greatly outnumber mutated cells for stem cell transfusions to work.

Most modern epidemic diseases are infectious, if not contagious. Left alone, most of them take decades to progress. However, progression is accelerated, often rapidly, by many medications and exposure to common contaminants in food, air and water.

Disease spread could be curbed with more effective decontamination, sterilization and filtering processes in the food, health and water management industries. Progression could be delayed or halted with proper controls on drug approvals, and environmental and industrial clean-ups to remove chemical and other triggers. For treatment of already advanced disease, stem cell therapies and therapeutic stem cell cloning offer far greater promise than existent drugs or surgery. But no measures are supported or approved to prevent spread or progression, or provide better treatments.

Bush policies block efforts to prevent the spread and progression of epidemic diseases and also, obstruct research to develop effective treatments � in effect killing off the unwanted, and disenfranchising survivors. What Bush policies do in fact do, is support the goals and efforts of the international Eugenics Movement.

Related News Links:
www.eugenicsarchive.org
www1.umn.edu
www.beloit.edu
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.atsnn.com...
www.atsnn.com...
UN to vote on cloning in a year
Eugenics or 1-888-30-CRACK

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Let's get these idealogues out of power, shall we?

Sheesh....America, help is on the way! (I think)

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 11:40 PM
link   
...you do realize it's a global problem? (eugenics, I mean) ...looks like a few nations around the world are taking back there democracies tho...

[edit on 24-10-2004 by soficrow]

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I have to wonder the same things here that I did in the thread below. I believe that we have a soul, or energy force. If it is a cloned baby...does it get this energy force? 'm not in any way for humans trying to be gods!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Me neither Lady V - I just can't believe Bush is blocking the ban on human cloning. ...and helping the Eugenics Movement. well, maybe I can.

...therapeutic cloning IS different, and uses 'products' that just get thrown away...

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 06:12 AM
link   
This sort of thing just confirms to me my worst fears.

I've always believed that Humanity doesn't have the wisdom to control the technology it's developing. That one day (probably before the dawn of the next century) we will stand at a crossroads, and through ignorance and greed will make the wrong choices. The result will be our demise as a species. We will either drive ourselves into extinction as out of control technology overpowers us, or we will send ourselves back to the Stone Age. Genetics is one of the technologies that could do this. It can be used in a positive way to improve our lives beyond belief. It can also be used in a negative way to bring us, in living color, our worst, and most hideous, nightmares.

Between this and something else I read on another thread yesterday, it's downright frightening. On a different thread on this board there is a link to an article which describes some current genetic research in progress that causes rats, or maybe it was monkeys, to abandon the "work for a reward" association. When a certain genetic manipulation is performed, the rats/monkeys begin to work feverishly, without regard to any kind of reward for their efforts. Combining this capability with cloning, we could create a slave sub-species. This technology could easily get out of hand.

The scarey part of all this is that it's ultimately up to us! A bunch of monkeys running around with guns and endowed with the power to play God. I don't know about you, but IMHO there are some difficult times ahead ...

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Bush and his Neo-con masters are opposed to any UN control over anything and any form of international law whatsoever. If there's an international war crimes court, then that would make it harder for them to commit war crimes, if there is an international nuclear weapons test ban treaty, that would make it harder for them to develop and test new nuclear weapons. If there is an anti-ballistic missile treaty that blocks the construction of a missile defense shield, that would make it more difficult for them to implement their missile defense shield.

Bush is never going to vote for any UN mandate, whether he is on board morally or not. Any international control over the United States is simply not in accordance with the PNAC/Security Council agenda.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Netbound - you say, "When a certain genetic manipulation is performed, the rats/monkeys begin to work feverishly, without regard to any kind of reward for their efforts. Combining this capability with cloning, we could create a slave sub-species. This technology could easily get out of hand."

...I think that's the idea here. LOL Eugenicists wants a 'superior race' bred according to class and function - and no troublemakers.

[edit on 25-10-2004 by soficrow]

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
...I think that's the idea here. LOL Eugenicists wants a 'superior race' bred according to class and function - and no troublemakers.

Sounds a might better than what we've got going on currently...

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Hmm Delta - would you care to expand that comment?

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Right. No troublemakers. There are too many troublemakers. Just engineer the trouble out of them.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 09:55 AM
link   
some of you righties might label me as a so called liberal, but on this issue i actually kind of agree about the fact that us playing god is scary. We should be treading very carefully through this area. I think evolution is here for a purpose and it would probably be better to allow that to determine how we will adapt in the future. I still think its ok to research dna, just that we should be very cautious when actually using that to create new organisms of any kind.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Newsflash!

Human Cloning is going to happen. Either establish humane guidlines about it or keep your head in the sand and screech about it. It isn't pretty to think about, but countries like South Korea are already doing the work on it. I would hope ethically people would learn as much as possible with animal cloning before they attempt human cloning.

Isn't it interesting that someone who 'supposedly' opposes Human Cloning is the reason it Doesn't get banned. Is this just the irony of the Universe or is this just more Machiavellian Republican politics? Saying you want one thing, but actually doing the other for some excuse or other.

I hope they are able to clone/grow single body organs/parts for transplantation and don't grow whole clones for harvesting body parts from.

With stem cells directly injected into a body previously dead sections of a damaged heart revive and grow, so perhaps much of this troubling issue can be avoided all together.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

We've already began tinkering with nature through human compassion. Think about it, those born with a varity of disorders are allowed to thrive and reproduce, instead of having those traits die as they would in nature. And through this, unfortunately the human race has developed an abundance of disorders genetically, which only leaves genetic manipulation to correct the things we've already let persist.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
DiabolusFireDragon,

Do you understand the 'Red Queen Theory' of genetic diversity?
One reason for sexual reproduction is to introduce genetic diversity.
Making it difficult/impossible for a single pathogen to attack and wipe out our species. The pathogens adapt, we re-configure. It is running as fast as you can just to stay in the same place. But that's how it is.

You do know that sickle cell anemia is when 2 copies of a particular gene are expressed in offspring, but when only one copy is present it affords resistance to malaria, dont you?

Genetic diversity optimizes robustness of survival of the species. Some of those unhealthy people you mention may be the ones that discover new technologies.

In third world countries, trust me, they are just surviving, and any physical weaknesses probably don't survive.

It is the species's broad genetic inroads into the future that optimize our chances for survival, with hopefully some reasonable leadership and a little luck.

The biggest problem we in America and many advanced nations is simply obesity, caused by over-eating and/or lack of exercise. It is a Major cause of heart related illness [including the occasional heart attack of a child even] and high body-fat I am quite sure contributes to cancer.

A few generations are unlikely to have virtually any effect on the gene pool, and with 6 billion of us I am sure we have many representations of genetic combinations.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Gee, if I manage to Clone Mozart before they decide that these clones are "human" and thus endowed with all the rights we have....well, can I own Mozart, train him well, and make a fortune on his new music???

Or sell Mozart to the highest bidder?
or, how about if I clone alot of Mozarts....would anyone like to by a Mozart, how about an Einstein?? HItler? How about Jesus!!!

Hey, if I clone you.....can you sue me for copyright infringements?

We don't have the mental capacity to handle cloning, I don't care....ain't no telling what we'd do with the technology, but if history is any indication, well, these clones would never be given the right to determine their own destiny.....which is the right of every human on earth.

The same goes for genetic manipulations from human dna.....if I can come up the a super warrior, well, do I then own them, just like if I came up with a nice little bacteria that seems to be helpful...

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Virtually all the world wants to ban human cloning - except the Eugenicists. I vote for the Republican Machiavellian political theory.

...Also - FYI - re obesity and other diseases - all result from underlying infection that can be transmitted congenitally ('infectious cause' is only synthetically controversial, and only because the pathogen is a prion). Congenital transmission often includes genetic mutation (maternal mitochondrial RNA), and frequently results in the metabolic syndrome. ...Congenital transmission is now out of control too - and creating all manner of strange new diseases.

...Re. prevention - clean up costs $$$ - and fixing the problem means admitting it exists, which opens the door to liability...

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   
if Geirge Bush is against same sex marriages and so on because he is a devoted christian.

wouldnt banning cloning be right up his alley?

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by slank

Newsflash!

Human Cloning is going to happen. Either establish humane guidlines .
(snip)

Already has happened. Unless of course you believe the Clonaid
activities are all just a hoax or.. gasp.. a conspiracy theory!
www.clonaid.com...

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Slank,

I'm not suggesting we should replace reproduction with cloning (how boring anyway!) I'm saying that I'm not against genetic manipulation to correct some of these disorders that would have been bred out naturally.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join