It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which One Is The Assault Weapon?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Weapon "A"

Weapon "B"

Which of these is an assault rifle?

Believe it or not mechanically they are the same. Both are Ruger 10/22s. One has the traditional wood stock and grip, while the other has a fiberglass grip and a polymer folding stock.

If Weapon "A" appeared on the evening news, it would probably be identified as a hunting rifle, while Weapon "B" would be called an assault weapon.

Several years ago, a man who was running for the State Senate came to the Hunting and Fishing club that I belong to, wanting to get a photo op to show his support for gun ownership. He asked if he could pose with a rifle, so somebody handed him one that looked somewhat like Weapon "B". He handed it back with the comment "No way am I going to be seen holding an assault rifle!". Another rifle that looked like Weapon "A" was handed to him and he said "That's better" and had his picture taken. As it turned out both rifles were owned by a local gunsmith, who pulled the guy aside and said that he had something to show him. The gunsmith disassembled both rifles and put the parts from the first rifle on the second and the parts from the second on to the first.

The term "assault rifle" is meaningless. It is just media and political hype. Just like the media's habit of calling semi-automatic weapons, automatic weapons.

Forget the guns, it is the mental health issue that should be addressed instead. Froggy on the Blackfive website has one of the best posts I have seen on this. Please give it a read.

Gun Control vs. Teh Crazy
edit on 19-12-2012 by JIMC5499 because: typo

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
You've got it backwards. Assault weapon is a media/left wing creation meant to confuse as it's clearly done in this case. An assault Rifle is a full automatic rifle.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Those are the same gun. Neither of them are assault weapons.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

On my experience with past assault weapon bans, the main thing that makes the bottom one different is the front fore-grip.
The other thing could be the shorter stock, which is nothing more than a pistol grip, making it easier to conceal.
Both stupid reasons I know because they both shoot the same rounds at the same rate but, thats politicians for you.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
My definition of an assault weapon is:
High capacity mags and full auto or select fire and a short barrel and stock designed for fast target acquisition.
Although i believe the brainless mass of anti gun nuts would call the modified 10/22 an assault weapon.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
There's apparently already an assault weapons ban in CT and the rifle Lanza used was legal to own there.

Also, when you go on a witch hunt to single out people and essentially make them non-citizens you must be aware that a lot of people that are otherwise perfectly fine will be lumped in with them. It could also potentially be used as a political tool to marginalize anyone that's deemed a nuisance to whatever the current regime is.

Just think, what if they start hospitalizing everyone that frequents ATS based on the idea that we're all delusional?

Wouldn't that include you?

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

I've never cared for high capacity mags. The springs tend to go bad causing feed jams.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499

I've never cared for high capacity mags. The springs tend to go bad causing feed jams.

They do tend to weaken up if they are left loaded over a long duration.
Best thing is to leave them unloaded when not in use.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
yes it is just the looks that get people up in arms about arms. You need to send this to ATF and tell them that their classification on AR and there assault weapons need's an upgrade here is their link www.atf.gov...

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
This is the assault weapon

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
How about this Glock 18, this is an assault weapon.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Here is the AK47 pre ban (which has since been lifted) the pistol grip made it illegal

And here it is post ban ( instead of a pistol grip, it had a thumb hole)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
The term "assault rifle" is meaningless. It is just media and political hype. Just like the media's habit of calling semi-automatic weapons, automatic weapons.

Except for the following????

Originally posted by Juggernog

On my experience with past assault weapon bans, the main thing that makes the bottom one different is the front fore-grip.
The other thing could be the shorter stock, which is nothing more than a pistol grip, making it easier to conceal.

Originally posted by shaneslaughta
High capacity mags and full auto or select fire and a short barrel and stock designed for fast target acquisition.

So WHO exactly is BSing???

The best definition would be the one used in the now expired Federal Assault Weapons ban..

These were all semi-automatic firearms, meaning that they can eject spent shell casings and chamber the next round without additional human action, but (as opposed to automatic firearms) only one round is fired per pull of the trigger. In addition to the 19 weapons specifically prohibited, the federal assault weapons ban also defined as a prohibited assault weapon any semiautomatic rifle with a detachable magazine and at least two of the following five items: a folding or telescopic stock; a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; a bayonet mount; a flash suppressor or threaded barrel (a barrel that can accommodate a flash suppressor); or a grenade launcher. The act also defined as a prohibited assault weapon semi-automatic pistols that weighed more than 50 ounces when unloaded or included a barrel shroud, and barred the manufacture of magazines capable of carrying more than 10 rounds.

en.wikipedia.org...

I am not Anti-Gun ownership...I own guns...and I am not for the NRAs stance either of fighting any and all regulation of guns.

I am against BS...cuz it doesn't do the 2nd Amendment advocates any favors.

And claiming that there is no definition of assault weapons is BS.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Not counting the one on the bottom the mini 30 which is same mechanism (action) but larger caliber

The others are exactly same rifle dressed in different clothes

Just food for thought

Oh yeah and I'm all good with 10 rd mags I personally have never felt the need for a drum type mag or the likes
edit on 12/19/2012 by geocom because: Added comment

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I am confused. Why are you asking which one of these is an assault weapon when neither of them is? You are asking a loaded question that most people will fall for. This is a discussion that needs to happen. The definition of 'assault rifle' is waaaaay to broad. But this is not the way to bring that about. Now go find pictures of an actual weapon that falls within the definition of 'assault rifle' and ask your question again. What 'looks' like an assault rifle doesn't matter- to anyone legally- but what IS an assault rifle does.

(waits patiently)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

These are the guns that were used in Newton

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Montana

I think the point of the OP was to illustrate that the 2 rifles are exactly the same rifle just different furniture and accessories otherwise same weapon, that and people have this visual idea of an assault weapon and don't really know the difference and according to the assault rifle ban that expired in 2004 the lower rifle or the one that most people who didn't know better would consider an assault rifle would in fact be considered an assault rifle

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I don't like the ATF version of an assault weapon.....its just not right. folding or adjustable stocks have their place...not for concealment but for adjust ability so the shooter has the proper cheek weld. Further into this debate......The pistol grip gives the shooter a better grasp on the gun allowing it to be fired more safely.

High capacity mags are not the problem either, having a bigger capacity saves lives because of the reloading time on a crappy ten round mag is ridiculous.

Has anyone shot at moving targets before? if you tell me that you have a 100% hit count on moving targets i call BS.

The real problem is that people are not responsible with their fire arms. leaving them accessible for the mentally unstable is a huge problem.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaneslaughta
Although i believe the brainless mass of anti gun nuts would call the modified 10/22 an assault weapon.

You're completely wrong. An assault "weapon" does not have full auto fire at all.

Originally posted by Indigo5

These are the guns that were used in Newton

The picture is wrong. The AR-15 was not full auto and thus, not an assault rifle.
edit on 19-12-2012 by PvtHudson because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Agreed on the irresponsible people when I say I'm okay wi ten round mags I mean in general hobby or hunting use if I hate reloading a ten round mag as well but to me that a small sacrifice but hey we are all different

Also yeah on the moving target thing I'm 100% MISSED them all lol

Much harder to shoot at a moving target

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join