It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK chemists/pharamcies caught illegally selling drugs inc. Valium, morphine and tranquilizers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
This is my first thread, did a search with no results. Apologies if I've done this incorrectly.

A BBC Investigative programme called 'Inside Out' will be airing tonight with proof that a number of UK pharamcies are selling drugs illegally and without prescription. The drugs sold include valium, temazepan, and oral morphine. One example was £20 for 28 tranquilisers.

www.bbc.co.uk...

These pharmacists are selling potentially lethal amounts of these drugs without prescription, and without finding out whether these drugs would have any effects on existing medication taken by the purchaser.

I don't even know how this is possible. Surely controlled drugs are 'controlled'. There should be a paper trail that prevents this from happening. I really hope no one has overdosed as a result of this.

I hesitate to point this out but almost all of the pharmacists that were shown in the clip at the above link are asian. What does this mean?

Inside Out is on tonight and will be available on iplayer thereafter for seven days.

edit on 17-12-2012 by merkins because: Corrections

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Bah you beat me to it.

I'm going to be watching this.

I always wondered whether pharmacists ever diddled, obviously there is money to be made.
It's not any old average Joe that can become a pharmacist, you have to get a licence and take tests etc.

In my area, you can get asthma inhalers in Asda
Everyone stock up quick before they get done!
edit on 17-12-2012 by Lulzaroonie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Wow, one pharmacy charged £200 for a drug that would cost £7.50 on prescription.

They are also selling omoxicillin, an anti-biotic. That was has me scratching my head. I'll have to take a closer look at that one to understand it.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Yeah I thought that the amoxycillin was a bit weird too. I guess they don't want it handed out willy nilly because taking it too often, or for things that don't require it can lead to building a tolerance to it, and it stops working in your body?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by merkins

Well...they can't blame Big Pharma for producing and dealing drugs that routinely kill many thousands of people can they!

Much easier to blame corner shop pharmacies and chemists for selling them under the counter...when all said and done though, whoever dispenses them, they are still produced and dealt by 'clean' pharmacuitical corporations, and they are still killing lots of people.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Lulzaroonie

Almost every week I find I've been short changed by a few pills, but I never imagined this kind of thing would even be possible without being found out by the paper trail. My meds come in a dosset weekly which makes it harder for me to shout 'oi you've short changed me on the codeine and sleepers'.

No doubt these drugs are being sold to exactly the type of person who is at risk of taking their own life.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

I'm glad you said it first. I was thinking the same thing.

Who cares about druggies destroying their lives and ODing. Aren't they the 'useless eaters' TPTB want to cull? Damn right they are.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Still don't really understand the sale of amoxicillin but wikipedia does state possible side effects of 'lightheadedness'. Maybe people have discovered a drug cocktail including this that mainstream medicine has yet to identify.

If you were ill, even as a homeless person surely you could get amoxicillin from a GP if it was appropriate.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by merkins

I think the antibiotics are being bought *mainly* by the '2012 survivalists'...after a catastrophy, antibiotics are going to be needed in every family medical kit...i think you'll find a lot of vetinary antibiotics are being snapped up as i type too.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by merkins
I hesitate to point this out but almost all of the pharmacists that were shown in the clip at the above link are asian. What does this mean?

Probably more to do with being "self-owned", not part of a big chain.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by merkins

Hehe do you sit and count your pills out every week?

It's probably good practise in retrospect, if you've been given a set amount that don't come in blister packs, you're going to need to take as many as will see you through to the end of the course, or until you can get your next lot.
If you're supposed to have 30 days worth and only get 25, I would definitely pipe up.
Sometimes those few medication-less days are the difference between living a normal life, and being bedridden, or depressed, or living your days out in constant pain.

Homeless people are still entitled to see their GP, I don't know how they go about paying for/claiming their medications though

edit on 17-12-2012 by Lulzaroonie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

That's a very intersting take on it. Hadn't considered that at all. Though I wonder how many preppers there are in the UK. After having a bit of a poke around re amoxicillin I can't see any drug user wanting the side effects of insomnia, anxiety etc.

The pharmacists named so far appear to have asian second names. I find that to be very uncomfortable fact to digest.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

I think maybe the reason Amoxycillin has made the list is because it's one of the most frequently prescribed antibiotics and treats a wide variety of infections so possibly people may be trying to stock up on it "just in case". I do hope these people realize that antibiotics need to be stored in particular conditions and must be rotated and replaced after an amount of time in order to maintain effectiveness.

edit on 17-12-2012 by littled16 because: spelling...aaarrrrgh

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

That's a good point and one that eases my concerns somewhat.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Amoxycillin is amazing! I'm always prescribed it for a bad chest, and any other ailments (usually a grumbling wisdom tooth which hasn't erupted properly yet after a million years) are sorted at the same time!
I know if I could get hold of some and keep it well, I would stock up on it.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Yeh I get a dosset box weekly with four compartments per day. Everytime I check them they're all there, but the moment I forget to check codeine phosphates and amytriptiline are missing. Theyre both drugs that are misused and I fear getting the label of a 'drugseeker'.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysterX
reply to post by merkins

I think the antibiotics are being bought *mainly* by the '2012 survivalists'...after a catastrophy, antibiotics are going to be needed in every family medical kit...i think you'll find a lot of vetinary antibiotics are being snapped up as i type too.

Fish ones are the best. Apparently. *insert innocent whistle here*

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   

I hate the stuff. I was put on a four times a day, four week course in August when an insect bite went really bad and really scary. I was dizzy, nauseous, and had the shakes for the whole four weeks. Even now months later the bite is still there and my arm still has a marbled effect around the bite site. Luckily in the last month it's stopped being itchy.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by merkins

Gotcha, I have a friend who takes both for degenerative disc disease, and I totally understand not wanting to chase it up.
I used to get headaches all the time, and as a result, I habitually stock up on OTC pain relievers, paracetamol, ibuprofen, aspirin, all at the same time, and as much as I can legally buy at one time. I take so many because these headaches are such humdingers that one or two pills don't touch them, it's either dosed up to the eyeballs, or I go to sleep, which isn't always convenient.
I try to cycle where I buy from, since I don't like to visit the same place too often in case people think I'm some kind of addict

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Those that have broke the Pharmacy rules will be struck off the register. In every profession you have people willing to bend the rules to make some extra money.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join