It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duke newspaper writer says Jews use Holocaust to rebut criticism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   

A columnist for the Duke student newspaper denouncing Jewish opposition to last weekend's Palestinian conference on campus argued Jews use the Holocaust to rebut legitimate criticism.

The column by Philip Kurian in Monday's edition of The Chronicle also called Jews "the most privileged 'minority' group in the country."

"What Jewish suffering - along with exorbitant Jewish privilege in the United States - amounts to is a stilted, one-dimensional conversation where Jews feel the overwhelming sense of entitlement not to be criticized or offended," Kurian wrote.

In closing his column, Kurian said his intent was not to ignore Jewish oppression or the Holocaust, but to encourage Jews to "own up to their privilege in America" and to use it more wisely to confront inequality.

Cont.

www.ncinsider.com...

WOAH, hold on there, he said what?! Well, it's true, but I don't think he came across with his message in a very good way. When criticizing Israel, there is a fine line to walk for fear of being labeled of Anti-Semitic. That in itself, is proof of what the writer proclaims. Israel has been protected by the US for a very long time, ever since its inception pretty much, yet they are judged on a different level than other countries. Is it because they are mostly White Jews, and not actually Semites? Is it something religious? Probably just support for another Westernized country. Either way, Israel deserves criticism for its actions, and though the author could have explained his point in a better way it seems, I support what he said.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
*I am bumping this thread now.*

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Why should the Israelis be criticised? The Israeli Defense Force kills a Hamas leader with a rocket and a few kids who the Hamas leader was hiding behind get blown up too. Is that the IDF's fault or the Hamas leaders fault who purposefully was using "humanshields."
It is the policy of every major terrorist organizationin the Middle East to destroy Israel and drive the Jews into the sea. It is also the public (though not mentioned very often) policy of the PLO to destroy Israel and create a new state in place of Israel. The palestinians live in a culture that glorifies death and trades not baseball cards but "martyr" cards. The children are tought from a very young age that the Jews are the offspring of apes and pigs and that allah wants you to kill all of the Jews.
Israel is defending itself. Israel won Judea and Samaria (west bank) and Gaza in two wars of self defense. Between 1947 and 1967 there were no "palestinians" calling for an independent state to break away from Jordan who occupied the west bank and Egypt who occupied Gaza.
When the Israelis took the land from Egypt and Jordan suddenly the PLO went into action and started a war against the Israelis with the main goal of creating a state in place of Israel not next to Israel.

[edit on 10/24/2004 by verfed]

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
1956, 1967, and 1982 were all wars in which Israel started and tried justify it as being self-defence. Now, in the present Israel is practicing a form of apartheid, is garnishing Palestinian lands. There are ridiculous "operations" going in the Palestine now with Israelis shooting off into crowds of people and mowing down people's houses. Then, they have the nerve to call it "Days of Penitence." You seem to want to justify Israel because they are using essentially the same tactics Palestinian terrorists are using. It's a fact that more Palestinians have died as a result of this conflict than Israelis. I can criticize all I want to, and I am supporting the author's right to do so.

As a pro-Israeli going to Israel, I'm sure you are all for it. But, I have read countless reports of people already in Israel denouncing the government's actions. Now the west bank settlements are coming into play in that the settlers don't want to move. This has been a major point of tension. I've read reports about settlers killing Palestinians for no reason, and getting a slap on the wrist by Israeli judges.

Give me a break, both sides are a fault.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Jamuhn do you know anything else about the Six Day War besides when it started. Do you know of the massive Egyptian buildup in the Sinia peninsula?

By May 31, Egypt had moved 100,000 troops, 1,000 tanks, and 500 heavy guns into the Sinai. By June 4, Israel was outnumbered by Arab forces three to one on its borders. In light of these pressures, who would be surprised if Israel finally decided to defend itself?

May 15 Nassar ordered the United Nations peacekeeping troops out of the Sinai Peninsula.

Do you know of the blockade of the port of Eilat by the Egyptians before the war?

Soon after the UN departure, Nasser ordered a blockade of the Strait of Tiran with these ominous words, "The Strait of Tiran is part of our territorial waters. No Israeli ship will ever navigate it again." This blockade cut off Israel�s southern access to the Red Sea and beyond.

Do you know the intention of the Arabs?

President Abdur of Iraq:
The existence of Israel is an error which must be rectified. This is our opportunity to wipe out the ignominy which has been with us since 1948. Our goal is clear -- to wipe Israel off the map.

Do you still think Israel started the war?

Armed forces in the Arab countries were mobilized. Israel was confronted by an Arab force of some 465,000 troops, over 2,880 tanks and 810 aircraft. The armies of Kuwait, Algeria, Saudi Arabia and Iraq were contributing troops and arms to the Egyptian, Syrian and Jordanian fronts.

Israel had no choice but preemptive action. To do this successfully, Israel had to achieve surprise, not wait for an Arab invasion, a potential catastrophic situation.

And now today Israel is fighting a people that celebrates when their sons blow themsleves up to kill and maim Jews. A people that wants a peace without Israel. A people that makes no secrets its true intention for the intfada:

Palestinians now see the goal of the intifada as the liberation of all of Palestine, and not merely the ending of the occupation in the West Bank and Gaza.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Ok, I probably would have done the same thing, I probably shouldn't have brought up the past since we are talking about now (even though I named two other wars). That doesn't change the other facts though. Saying all palestinians want to wipe Israel off the map is a false statement. And most of the people in that country don't deserve what's happening to them.

But, going back to the original point of this article....

BTW, can you provide a link to what you quoted.

[edit on 24-10-2004 by Jamuhn]

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   
the link you requested

Yes people on both sides don't deserve what is happening but the goals of the PLO are not hidden.

the site is very pro israel but I assure you there is no bias. Search any honest history site and you will see the same events leading up to the Six Day War.

[edit on 10/24/2004 by verfed]

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by verfed
Jamuhn do you know anything else about the Six Day War besides when it started. Do you know of the massive Egyptian buildup in the Sinia peninsula?

May 15 Nassar ordered the United Nations peacekeeping troops out of the Sinai Peninsula.

Did you know that in April of 1967, months before the 6 day war, Israeli fighter jets went into Syria and shot down Syrian planes?

Are you aware that on May 11, 1967, Yitzhak Rabin said that they would "march on Damascus to overthrow the Syrian Government,"?

Do you know that Egypt's massing of troops at the border was merely a response to the Soviets informing Egypt that Israel had moved it's troops to the border? This was denied at first but in 1972, Gen. Ezer Weizmann admitted that "we did move tanks to the north after the downing of the aircraft."

Do you know that after Egypt ordered the UN to leave, Israel refused to allow the UN to move to the Israeli side of the border?

Cato.org

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   
You can think whatever you want about who started the war but that really doesn't matter. Only the outcome of the war really mattered in this situation. The outcome of the war was so humiliating for the Arabs that the Arabs have not given out their casualty figures. Conservative estimates place the Arab casualties at 15,000 while official Israeli casualties number less then 1000. Israel captured Gaza, the west bank and the Sinai Peninsula. Israel after this war became the dominant military power in the region that lasts up to this day. To add to the humiliation Israel did this all in only six days.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Does that mean we still shouldn't criticize Israel verferd?

Or, per the subject of this thread, is it allowable because the Jews went through the Holocaust?

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Or, per the subject of this thread, is it allowable because the Jews went through the Holocaust?

Jamuhn, my freind, i'll answer this question. The Holocaust was an atrophy and an imortal blemish on mankind, but, like children going through puberty -- as humanity is as we speak -- many of ther blemishes have come and gone, and many are yet to be sprout. It's truely sad what these poor people went through, but it should not be used as a crutch to make ends meet in the present time; in this light, i'm quite sure the Chinese could victomize the Japanese for the many attrocoties commited against them and demand international aid; I'm sure the Sikhs who were slaughtered by Muslim invaders could aswell; i'm sure the Koreans whose children were forced to have holes drilled into thier hands and then a rope run through a good couple hundred of them, could use the very same for plight. I may be exagerating issues and regressing time, but, i'am still adamant in believing that our generation should not apeal to the new generation of Jews whose did not succumb to such measures of torture.

It's time to move on, not relive the past.

Deep

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Anti-Semetism is many time cleverly diguised as anti-Zionism. A little bit of anti-semetism in Germany in the late thirties led to the holocaust. It was the whole German population who stood by and did nothing and many helped the Nazis all because they were very anti-semetic. That is why Jews are so sensitive about criticism because the criticism many times is hiding anti-Semetism which may soon lead to open anti-Semetism which leads to actions which leads to another holocaust! I hope not and you guys probably think never again but millions are preaching for another holocaust already.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Protesting Libya doesn't mean that countries will start bringing slavery back. If another holocaust even seemed on the brink of happening, there'd be so many people stepping in. The way our world works today is a lot different than the 30s-40s. Look at Kosovo for example, we sure got in there pretty quick. And criticizing Israel does not mean that people are anti-Semites, I'm glad you realize that. But like I said, that is NOT an excuse for what Israel is doing. Neither will there EVER be an excuse for what the terrorists are doing.

[edit on 24-10-2004 by Jamuhn]

new topics

top topics

join