It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. likely to approve exports of nuclear reactors to China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
So the Bushights cry about Iran, and North Korea�s nuclear reactors, and then turn around and sell reactors to China. (hello)
Why is it okay to sell this technology to one country and not others. I think China is a bigger danger in the long run, I just don�t get it, but then God doesn�t speak to me

US likely to approve exports of nuclear reactors to China

The United States' nuclear regulator said Tuesday it is likely to approve the export of US-designed reactors to China soon, giving American companies access to a multi-billion-dollar market.

Nils Diaz, chairman of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, told reporters it was reviewing export licenses for Westinghouse's recently approved "state of the art" AP-1000 reactor.

He said he was unaware of any significant objections to exporting the technology to China.
"The commission will actually vote on this issue hopefully in the next couple of months," Diaz told a news conference.
"The process is relatively simple once we get to this stage ... I haven't heard of any significant opposition to the issue."

Diaz, who tried to sell the safety of the AP-1000 to Chinese officials on his visit, said China would be the first country to put the recently approved reactor to use if it makes a purchase.

China currently has nine nuclear reactors, most of which are imported from France or are locally designed www.spacewar.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">More

Trade in US nuclear technology to China was blocked due to sanctions imposed on Beijing after the 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre, as well as by additional export controls and concerns about Chinese proliferation of nuclear technology to Pakistan and Iran

[edit on 24/10/2004 by Sauron]

join