It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Fire Taser at Pregnant Bride

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   

A man and his daughter have filed a lawsuit alleging a couple of Evergreen Park police officers assaulted them with a Taser gun at the woman's backyard wedding reception.

Clarence Phelps, 54, and Romona Madison, 32, filed the federal civil rights lawsuit Tuesday against two officers and the Village of Evergreen Park.

According to the lawsuit, a black female officer on Sept. 18 told Phelps outside his home at 9124 S. Francisco Ave. that the police department had received a noise complaint after 11 p.m. and that he should turn down the music at his daughter's wedding reception, NBC5's Renee Ferguson reported.

Phelps, who is also black, said he turned off the music, but the officer did not leave, according to the lawsuit. When Phelps approached the officer to ask why she was still on his premises, she demanded his identification and called for backup, the lawsuit states.

Cont.

www.nbc4.tv...

Phelps is also a police officer so it will be interesting to see how things pan out in the lawsuit. Almost always, judges will take a cop's word over anyone else's, but this time there is a cop plaintiff and the big one, a pregnant bride. After the bride was tasered, the fetus vital signs were tested at very weak. There are more tests to be done to see if she will lose her baby.

When you read the story, you'll see a major discrepancy between the cop's story and the victim's. The cop's story sounds pretty incredible and doesn't make much sense.

[edit on 24-10-2004 by Jamuhn]

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   
It seems there are a lot of these reports coming out where the police have become "tazer happy"...what the heck is going on with these guys? old ladies, pregnant women, children....good lord!

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Pregnancy should not excuse any woman from behaing in a civil manner and following the law.

Perhaps these women getting arrested in the DC subway or tasered at weddings should be more careful with their own behavior if their goal is to protect their baby.

I don't know what happened in this one situation, but the total outrage at pregnant women being treated as any other person is a little much.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Well, redballon, a pregnant woman is considered two people especially among pro-lifers. What's your take on the version of events that went down, you can read it by following the link.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I think if they lose the baby that police officer who fired the taser should be charged for murder. We don't know the situation that took place but I wouldnt be suprised that there was a video camera at a wedding reception. I don't care what the circumstances are, unless that pregnant woman was armed they should not have used "less lethal" force against her. Police are trained to diffuse situations not create them or worsen them. This is an outrage, hands down.

[edit on 24-10-2004 by build319]

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Okay okay I'll read it

Phelps, who is also black, said he turned off the music, but the officer did not leave, according to the lawsuit. When Phelps approached the officer to ask why she was still on his premises, she demanded his identification and called for backup, the lawsuit states.

As the article said, profanities followed, and it sounds like there was a liiiiitle more to the story. I'd bet both were acting agressive and a bit beyond the usual "Oh hello, might I ask why you are still here?" kind of thing.

The officer allegedly turned the Taser gun toward her and threatened the bride with it, according to the lawsuit. Madison ran into the home, and one of the officers followed. That officer then allegedly shot Madison with the Taser gun twice in the abdomen, despite being told by witnesses that she was pregnant. A prong from the stun gun reportedly became lodged in Madison's stomach and had to be removed by paramedics, Ferguson said.

A third officer allegedly held a gun to Madison's head as she was being arrested.

Hmm this leads me to believe that there is a LOT more going on here besides just whats described in the article. For tasers and guns to be whipped out, something else was involved besides civil and normal conversation. No matter what you think of officers, for people to be tasered out of the blue is not the usual. I don't think the 'victim' here is completely innocent and was acting the passive sweet pregnant woman role. Hopefully all will be well with the baby.

There are always three sides to every story - yours, mine, and the truth. We may never know what actually happened.

If a pregnant woman is considered two people, then she should realize she's responsible for two people, and not get up in the face of a police officer or anyone else for that matter. Pregnancy is not a get-out-of-jail-free card no matter how many hormones are in play.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Yes, that was kind of my take on it too. There is a big difference between each side's version of the story. The officers claimed they tasered her after she closed herself in a closet and wouldn't come out. To me, that could be considered protecting oneself especially after being threatened with a taser. So to get her out, they taser her? It just doesn't add up. By the way, does anyone know where people usually get tasered, is it always the abdomen?

But, going back to the beginning of the story, the real crime is the officer not leaving after the complaint was resolved. If the officer had left when she was supposed to, everything would have been fine. If she didn't then she was, in fact, trespassing.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Weren't there officers on both side of this conflict? Hmm.. same community... I wonder of these people knew each other more than just from this one encounter. Something just doesn't feel right about either story.

As for hiding in a closet - sure it could be protection, or it could be hiding from someone for other reasons. Perhaps the officers thought there were weapons in there .. who knows.

I doubt anyone is innocent here.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedBalloon
I don't think the 'victim' here is completely innocent and was acting the passive sweet pregnant woman role. Hopefully all will be well with the baby.

As I stated above, unless this woman was armed there was NO REASON for them to use any force "less lethal" or not. It is their JOB as PEACEKEEPERS to KEEP the F'ing PEACE. DUH!

Now, if they had to take her down the police should have been responsible enough to take percautions for the childs safety. The amount of force does not seem justified.

LL1

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 01:10 PM
link   
"But, according to a statement from the Evergreen Park Police Department, the officer called for backup after Phelps called the officer an expletive."

Okay... Phelps (a male) called female officer an "expletive", the oficer may have felt threatened by the male, (female) officer calls for backup.

Another officer arrived and tried to arrest Phelps, who police claim pushed the officer. That's when Phelps was shot with a Taser gun. According to Phelps' attorney, the officer used the stun gun without provocation.

Phelps pushed the officer, more than likely giving a shove off of the property. Never touch an officer!
Okay the sight of her father being arrested, Madison (daughter) goes off, and comes at the officers, how else could she have been shot in the stomach.

Phelps, who is a part-time state police officer and truck driver, was then taken into custody, Ferguson reported.

Did he have a gun in the household? I'm willing to bet he was hollaring, "I'm a state trooper".

In court documents, Madison states she saw what happened to her father, screamed, and asked the officer to stop. The officer allegedly turned the Taser gun toward her and threatened the bride with it, according to the lawsuit.

What did Madison "scream"? Was she shouting I'll kill you?"

Madison ran into the home, and one of the officers followed. That officer then allegedly shot Madison with the Taser gun twice in the abdomen, despite being told by witnesses that she was pregnant.

There it is, Madison ran BACK into the house, for what? Remember Daddy is a part-time state trooper, was she going for a gun???
The officers had no idea of what Madison was going into the house for.
Again, to be shot in the stomach with the taser, Madison had to have lunged at the officers.

In my opinon, justifiable use of deadly physical force!

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Yea, LL1, that's exactly what I'm talking about. The word of cops is always taken over the word of the victim. I hope you didn't fail to see that there is more than one side to this story.

As well, you will note that the cops stated that Madison closed herself in a closet and wouldn't come out. That's why they tasered her. Convenient that you left that part out.

The force was not justified.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
What is bothers me is that she was in her own back yard so she was not in the street or in the middle of a riot.

How dangerous can this lady has been to merit a taser directed at her and again did the police officer did not see she was a pregnet women? did they were not told about her condition?

LL1

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   
"cops stated that Madison closed herself in a closet and wouldn't
come out. That's why they tasered her."

How did they taser her in the closet, if she won't come out?
Were the officers afraid of what she'd come out of the closet with????

victim.... hmmmm......

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
If they were afraid of getting shot, they would have had guns, not a taser. They had a taser to subdue her and get her out of the closet so they could arrest her.

Gun vs. Taser .... hmmm

LL1

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   
"disorderly house, while Madison was charged with battery to
a police
officer and resisting arrest,
according to police and attorneys."

But did the "victim" Madison hit the officers, as
she resisted arrest and created disorderly conduct?

Then won't you agree the taser was justifiable????

BTW was there mention of the groom????

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
This is how fast things can get out of control with the Police. A few years ago, I was 27, just bought a new home and had a 6 month old son. Life was good but, My fiances brother had commited suicide less than a year earlier and she was very unstable. I came home and she told me she had attempted suicide taking pills 10-12 valium) and drank a 750 of wine a few minutes before I got home. . I called 911. They arrived with an ambulance and wanted to take her in and she refuesed. THey attempted to Baker act her. She was inside the house, and I was outside. The police asked me to come inside and try to help her come out.I walked into my house into a room with 5 paramedics, and 4 cops. She was screaming she would not leave. I reached my hand out to ask her ot get up, and she grabbed my arm and would not let go. THe officers told me too let go and I explained I could not she had me/ What happened next was so fast I did not have time to react. 2 officers threw me into the couch, pinning my hands yet yelling for them, telling me I was obstructing. I could not give them to them. Then i was pepper sprayed. Multiple times. I was tehn thorwn to the floor and one of the officers broke my nose and my glasses thrusting his knee into the bridge of my nose while another officer cuffed me. I did not say a word. not one to provoke, on my sons life. Just asked waht they were doing. I am 6'2, 215 lbs and at the trial that was their excuse. I 'looked' like I could be a problem. Funny, I called the cops because my girlfriend was OD'ing.

side note-That, my, friends is how easy it happens. I do not agree with the tasering of a pregnant women, but that should also be an excuse. And no, the officer should not be charged with murder of the fetus, this is not a pro-life forum, is it? The mother will have to live with the fact that her mouth caused the death of her child.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Wow, that's a wild story esdad. But, even from your story you must see that it's fairly obvious for something to occur that shouldn't have with this story. I mean, the bride was sticking up for her father who they claim was being harassed. I'm sure the bride didn't think it would come to being tasered in her belly.

top topics

join