It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Jolt Between Nearly Timeless Eden and the March of History

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
After Adam and Eve ate the fruit and had their eyes opened, they hid from God, making aprons of fig leaves. God called to them, and they said they were ashamed because they were naked, and therefore hid. God said, "Who told you that you were naked?" I may be reading too much into the text, but God seems surprised here. Further, I picture God doing a facepalm and saying, "Have you eaten of the tree...?!" This is said AS IF God did not know how they knew they were naked. Theology says that God must have known, but there is a freshness in His initial reaction which tells us that He was caught unawares. A God who exists outside of time caught unawares?! There is something mysterious going on here, or is it just God's way of communicating with us on our own level?

With the initial reaction out of the way, God took decisive action. He put a curse on the Serpent, Adam & Eve, and the whole Creation. He told Adam and Eve they would die, so He did know that beforehand. Once the initial jolt from almost timeless Eden to the march of history (His Story) had begun, God was on top of everything, even ahead of everything, telling the end from the beginning, and inspiring prophets to tell the future in exacting detail. Only the jolt caught Him off guard...

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Have you never seen a parent ask a child if they did something -

"Did you tell a lie?"
"Did you get those cookies from the pantry?"
"Did you play in the mud after I told you not to?"

when the parent knew full well that the child had done it and didn't actually need any confirmation from the child?

Maybe that's what happened? I don't think that a sovereign and omniscient being would be caught "off guard."

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Lazarus Short

As stated above, I always thought, in the context of the story, God's question was rhetorical. It isn't asked to solicit unknown information. It's asked to goad the person into a confession.
edit on 12/14/2012 by Toromos because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

The god of the OT to me is not the same God as the NT or the one I believe in. A creator to be sure and to us mortals a god in a sense but not omnipotent.

That god is the demi-urge and frankly I bit moody if you ask me...

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
incoserv and Toromos, you two may be correct, and I may be reading too much into the text. However, if God knew it all beforehand, then He must also have known that no one told them they were naked - they realized it themselves. Mystery remains...or does it?

As to abeverage, and the OT God not being the same as the NT God, consider that if we take the Hebrew rendering of "Yahweh" or YHWH if we transliterate it [I have yet to successfully download any Hebrew fonts], and then plug in the very ancient pictographic meanings of the letter, we get "Behold the Hand, Behold the Nail." Now who do you suppose that could be?

As to the "Demiurge," I understand that as part of Gnosticism, and I have looked into that just far enough to know that I don't want to look any further...

edit on 14-12-2012 by Lazarus Short because: lah-de-dah

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

You will hear many justifications for it and the faithful saying "if you read it this way..." but you are correct. Reading Genesis from a fresh and objective perspective, a person can see that:

1 - The deity in the beginning creation story is not the same as the one in the garden.
2 - There were several deities involved in the creation process or at least present.
3 - The deity in the garden was not omnipotent nor omniscient.
4 - The deity in the garden created Adam and Eve after humanity was created.
5 - The serpent told Eve that the fruit would give knowledge and not death.
6 - The fruit gave them knowledge and not death.
7 - The deity in the garden feared Adam and Eve.

Again, Christians who follow church doctrine will insist that you need to read Genesis in a certain way but this is the way I see it when I read it without any preconceived stories from the mainstream church.

top topics

join