It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Countdown..... top 10 best UFO Unsolved Stories..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
So to change the tone of doom and gloom around the 21st Dec i thought i would share my passion, and watching the video the other day of the infra red fleet in Australia made me want to revisit and countdown the top 10 UFO untold stories

The UFO phenomenon has fascinated me for a long time now.. I always wondered if there were actual aliens within those ‘saucers’.. I hope our government will be disclosing the truth about these marvellous devices within the next couple years! But for now; this mystery still lingers within our minds, here are in my mind the top 10...

10. Turkey

A night guard in Turkey named Yalcin Yalman witnessed a large amount of UFOs while on duty in 2008 and decided to tape them. He provided the Sirius UFO Space Research Center with two and a half hours of footage, prompting them to call the tapes, “the most important UFO images ever,” though their veracity has yet to be proven.

Read More

9. O’Hare Airport

On Tuesday, November 7, 2006, the FAA received reports that 12 airline employees at Chicago’s O’Hare had spotted a metal saucer shaped craft hovering over one of the departure gates. According to witnesses, the disc hovered for about two minutes, but when people went out to investigate, it abruptly took off through the clouds. The FAA concluded that it must have been the weather playing tricks on people’s eyes, but witnesses continue to insist that it was a UFO.

Read More

8. Hopeh Incident, China

This photograph was taken in 1942 and later discovered in a photo album. The owner of the album claimed to have purchased the photograph from a street photographer in China. Some claim the UFO looks like a hat or a bird, others say it’s a flying saucer.

Read More

7. Jimmy Carter’s UFO Sighting

President Jimmy Carter described seeing a bright white object which then changed colour from blue, to red, back to white before receding into the distance in Leary, Georgia, in 1969. Though he later claimed he never thought the object was an alien spacecraft, he said, “One thing’s for sure, I’ll never make fun of people who say they’ve seen unidentified objects in the sky.” “If I become President,” Carter said in 1976, “I’ll make every piece of information this country has about UFO sightings available to the public and the scientists.”

Read More

6. Kecksburg Incident

On the night of December 9, 1965, residents of Kecksburg, Pennsylvania claimed something large crashed in the woods—an acorn shaped object with hieroglyphics written on the sides. The military quickly surrounded the area. In 2005, NASA explained that the falling object (recreated above) may have been debris from a Russian satellite, but witnesses claim that explanation is not consistent with what they saw.

Read More

5. Disappearance of Felix Moncla

While pursuing a UFO over Lake Superior in 1953, U.S. Air Force Pilot Felix Moncla disappeared into thin air. Ground control had both Moncla and the UFO on radar, and witnesses claimed the two blips “merged, then vanished.”In 1968, parts from an aircraft where found in the lake, but were never confirmed as part of Moncla’s aircraft.

Read More

4. Men In Black

In 1947, a seaman claimed to have seen six doughnut shaped UFOs flying in the air above Maury Island off the Puget Sound in Washington. One of the objects dropped debris on the deck, injuring his son and killing his dog. The next morning, the seaman claimed a man dressed in black and driving a black Buick showed up at his doorstep and made vague threats that his family would be in danger if he ever spoke to anyone about the incident.

Read More

3. First Flying Saucer Sighting

Just a few days after the Men in Black incident, Kenneth Arnold reported seeing nine UFOs flying in the air near Mt. Ranier, Washington. The press coined the term “flying saucer” to describe the objects, which stuck. Arnold stood by his story and became a semi-celebrity in the world of the paranormal.

Read More

2. Battle over Los Angeles

An alien craft flew over Los Angeles County in 1942, and the picture below proves it. Something very odd happened in the early mourning hours of February 25, 1942. An aircraft flew over LA County that sparked an air raid alert. Searchlights and Guns were locked onto the aircraft for about a an hour. That alert was unlike any other. We,ve all seen the images of the military action in Iraq. Pictures of batteries of anti-aircraft guns firing in what look like random patterns are familiar to most of us. The picture above appeared in the LA Times in a story about the Battle of LA It clearly shows a night time defensive response to an air raid, but the situation is very different than that in Iraq. The men firing the guns weren't desperately searching the sky trying to find a target. They clearly had a focus for their efforts. This picture is the most convincing piece of evidence I,ve seen of an alien craft.

Read More

1. The Foo Fighters

During WWII, American, British, German and French fighter pilots all reported seeing large glowing orbs in the sky that could not be explained – these came to be known as “foo fighters.” The genesis of the name itself is unknown, but some have theorized it comes from the German word for fire “feuer.”

Though "foo fighter" initially described a type of UFO reported and named by the U.S. 415th Night Fighter Squadron, the term was also commonly used to mean any UFO sighting from that period.

Formally reported from November 1944 onwards, witnesses often assumed that the foo fighters were secret weapons employed by the enemy, but they remained unidentified post-war and were reported by both Allied and Axis forces. Michael D. Swords writes,

During WWII, the foo fighter experiences of [Allied] pilots were taken very seriously. Accounts of these cases were presented to heavyweight scientists, such as David Griggs, Luis Alvarez and H.P. Robertson. The phenomenon was never explained. Most of the information about the issue has never been released by military intelligence.

Read More

and lastly i believe unless proven to be a hoax i believe the mass hidden UFO footage taken in Australia to soon appear on a few top lists, here it is if you haven't already seen it:

edit on 14/12/12 by Phatdamage because: i'm an idiot who cant spell

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing this! Foo Fighters deserves the number one spot due to the amount of people/nations which documented the phenomenon
Many times I disagree with the order of a top ten list, but you have done pretty well here so congratulations on doing a nice job

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Nice Thread, my favorite is the Turkey Kumbergaz Case.What about the idiots who say its a cruise ship Ha ha. Another fav of mine is the Isreal Case.Check it out.

www.youtube.com...

edit on 14-12-2012 by Elvis Hendrix because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Star and Flag

Thanks for some awesome Friday reading material
This should keep me busy til 1:30 est

If I may I would like to contribute one that could make the list ...

Mantell UFO incident

The Mantell UFO incident was among the most publicized early UFO reports. The incident resulted in the crash and death of 25-year-old Kentucky Air National Guard pilot, Captain Thomas F. Mantell, on 7 January 1948, while in pursuit of a supposed UFO.

Historian David Michael Jacobs argues the Mantell case marked a sharp shift in both public and governmental perceptions of UFOs. Previously, mass media often treated UFO reports with a whimsical or glib attitude reserved for silly season news. Following Mantell’s death, however, Jacobs notes "the fact that a person had dramatically died in an encounter with an alleged flying saucer dramatically increased public concern about the phenomenon. Now a dramatic new prospect entered thought about UFOs: they might be not only extraterrestrial but potentially hostile as well."
Source

The actual transcripts read;

"Godman Tower Calling the flight of 4 ships northbound over Godman Field. Do you read? Over.

[Pause] Godman Tower Calling the flight of 4 ships northbound over Godman Field. Do you read? Over."

"Roger, Godman Tower. This is National Guard 869, Flight Leader of the formation. Over."

"National Guard 869 from Godman Tower. We have an object out south of Godman here that we are unable to identify, and we would like to know if you have gas enough; and if so could you take a look for us if you will."

"Roger, I have the gas and I will take a look for you if you give me the correct heading.

One of his three companions in flight received permission to continue his pre-assigned flight plan, while Mantell and the remaining two planes headed to the coordinates of the visual sightings.

Mantell led the way in the climb to 15,000 feet, and upon reaching the position, he radioed the following statement back to the control tower.

"The object is directly ahead of and above me now, moving at about half my speed... It appears to be a metallic object or possibly reflection of Sun from a metallic object, and it is of tremendous size... I'm still climbing... I'm trying to close in for a better look."

18,000, 20,000, 22,000 feet! too high for the WWII fighters without oxygen! The other two planes turned back, leaving Mantell alone to pursue the giant object. By all accounts, Mantell must have passed out from lack of oxygen at about 30,000 feet, at least his plane leveled off at that height.

His plane now began to plunge back toward earth. He crashed a few harrowing moments later on the farm of William J. Phillips near Franklin, Kentucky. Mantell's watch stopped at 3:16 PM, and his body was still strapped in his plane, which become his coffin.

He had spent 45 minutes in a frantic flight into the realm of the unknown. By 3:50 PM, the giant craft was not visible from Godman, but reports continued as the UFO continued southward into Tennessee.

The reports of the incident spread like wildfire. Theory and speculation reached radio shows, television, and newspapers. The New York Times' story began with this headline, "Flier Dies Chasing A Flying Saucer," and another story was headlined with, "Plane Exploded Over Kentucky as That and Near States Report Strange Object."

Richard T. Miller, who was in the Operations Room of Scott Air Force Base in Belleville, Illinois also made several profound statements regarding the crash. He was monitoring the radio talk between Mantell and Godman tower, and heard this statement very clearly.

"My God, I see people in this thing!"
UFOcasebook

Further reading in the ATS Thread regarding this subject.
edit on 14-12-2012 by Tazkven because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Thank you Phatdamage for putting in effort in this thread. The number 10 in Turkey makes me shiver everytime.

I really don't want to mess up your list straight away, but I feel there are way more important unexplained cases of UFO sightings. Most of the cases that made your list are stories, eye witness accounts or a mere picture.

I do think that the president of the US seeing a UFO and making a statement about it is significant. I also think that the broad reports of foo fighters in World War 2 is based on something very real.

But in my humble opinion, nothing comes close to actual footage in outer space, captured from direct feeds from NASA. Back when these direct feeds were still easy to intercept and capture by independant researchers.

NASA Mission STS-75: The Tether Incident

NASA Mission STS-51-A

Check out these cases and many others in LunaCognita's great works. One example:

edit on 14/12/12 by SergeantTrammelant because: vids

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
S + F

Nice Job!! Thanks for pulling this information together and now, some of the other thoughtful replies with additional footage. Glad you didn't 'overkill' the subject, there are so many examples out there, having a nice set of 10 to revist keeps it condensed and easy to focus on.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Good stuff. Thanks for compiling.

Cash/Landrum is still my fav unsolved though

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ItDepends

Thanks,

I know there not the top 10 best ever but they are my favourite,

Please feel free to add more....

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
My favorite is the Belgium Triangle...

Source: en.wikipedia.org...(UFO)

Now what makes this my favorite story is that it is personal. My family was stationed out in Mons, Belgium in the late 80s early 90s. I remember one night in particular my dad was yelling at me and the rest of my family to come down and look outside at this object he saw. I came down but I didn't see anything but a bright light in a distance that could have easily been a plane, but he was like it was the biggest thing I've ever seen in the sky. It was a craft with three lights and it was a dark like it was a triangle and it was quite and didn't make a sound and it moved gracefully in the sky. I was thinking to myself yeah yeah, and I was very skeptical because he likes to make jokes.

Fast forward a few years later after moving back to the states, an episode of Unsolved Mystery came on talking about the Belgium Triangle, and I called my dad I said is that what you say? He said YES! that's it! See I told you all what I saw was real, so then I believed him.

Here's that episode:

The Belgian UFO wave peaked with the events of the night of 30/31 March 1990. On that night unknown objects were tracked on radar, photographed, and were sighted by an estimated 13,500 people on the ground - 2,600 of whom filed written statements describing in detail what they had seen. Following the incident the Belgian air force released a report detailing the events of that night.

I wish I saw it for myself!!!

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Phatdamage

I agree with your collection of cases
But I would like to add these

1981-The Hudson Valley Triangles
ufos.about.com...

1975-The Travis Walton Abduction
www.travis-walton.com...

1947-The Roswell, New Mexico UFO Crash
www.hyper.net...

1961-The Betty and Barney Hill Abduction
www.ufocasebook.com...

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   
A neat one, if only because i was born in Kingman.

Kingman Ufo Crash

top topics

join