It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 800+ Former Soldiers Fail to Report to Duty

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
More than 1/3 of the total number of former soldiers have failed to comply with orders that they report for duty in Iraq or Afghanistan. It is reported that any one who refused to report would be declared AWOL (Absent Without Leave).

ap.tbo.com
WASHINGTON (AP) - More than 800 former soldiers have failed to comply with Army orders to get back in uniform and report for duty in Iraq or Afghanistan, the Army said Friday. That is more than one-third of the total who were told to report to a mobilization station by Oct. 17.

Three weeks ago the number stood at 622 amid talk that any who refused to report for duty could be declared Absent Without Leave. Refusing to report for duty normally would lead to AWOL charges, but the Army is going out of its way to resolve these cases as quietly as possible.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

More than 4,000 soldiers have recieved orders to return to duty since July 6th. Of this total, only 2,288 have reported.

Currently there are nearly 400 IRR (Individual Ready Reserve) are deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan. The first IRR Marine, Sgt. Douglas E. Bascom, 25, of Colorado Springs, Colorado, was killed in Iraq earlier this week.

Reportedly the Army is going out of it's way to keep this quiet and resolve these problems and keep the men from being charged with AWOL.

[edit on 23-10-2004 by deeprivergal]

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Tell me again there is no draft

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   
What a bunch of cowards they sign up for the free chow and the GI bill to get the free education but when it comes time to earn it they bail out.

The decline of the moral and social structure of this country has made it soft and weak.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   
One thing that people need to remember is this: When a person enlists into the military, he/she enlists for a total of 8 years. The active portion of that duty doesn't have to be all 8 years. It might be just 2 years or maybe 4 or 6.

When the military calls up someone from inactive duty status, the person has an obligation to fulfill the contract they signed (for a total of 8 years).

This is not a draft.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by chestyp
What a bunch of cowards they sign up for the free chow and the GI bill to get the free education but when it comes time to earn it they bail out.

The decline of the moral and social structure of this country has made it soft and weak.

Maybe they've actually done there own research and realized that the basis of this war has as much cred as Mickey Mouse dancing in Disneyland. I know that the perfect soldier is a mindless drone, but the perfect american is an educated individual

[edit on 10/23/2004 by Simulacra]

[edit on 10/23/2004 by Simulacra]

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 11:36 PM
link   

They are doing their duty as americans not to participate in an illegal war, good for them.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 12:26 AM
link   
When is war legal and when is war not illegal? That doesn't make any sense. : )

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by EmbryonicEssence

Simple. War is legal when it benefits you, it isn;t when it hurts you.

Surf

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Did you see the contingent from New Jersey going the other day?
They were between the ages of 50 to 65!!!!
Some had to hold their back as they boarded the plane for Iraq!

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tesla

Nice emoticon. And they were tricked! They were told it was the line for Flu Shots!!!

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by EmbryonicEssence

We the united states signed the Geneva convention, the guidelines we signed in that treaty state that we do not go to war with a sovern nation without the approval of the rest of the united nations. We did not get the approval = illegal war. If we didn't have so many weapons and didn't owe so much money to the rest of the world we would probably be named a rouge nation or worse.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tesla

hahha yeah, I know of a guy who is 70 years old who got called up. He's a psychiatrist. I guess they are trying to solve that whole social security issue here too, make the old people cannon fodder.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 05:57 AM
link   
This says to me 800+soldiers are not commited to wars that don't really defend the nation. This is an internal moral question that all humans must ask themselves.

The question is: What am I willing to die for?

The answers(apparently): George Bush, oil, arabs who won't do for themselves, western bravado...etc

Not to bash Arabs but; how can multiple nations loose to one nation in 7 days?(i.e. 7 day War)...Just Ridiculus

American foriegn policy makes know incursions in the MidEast tend to be easier as compared to Asia.
Notice stance toward North Korea

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by deeprivergal
Tell me again there is no draft

Ok, in case you do not understand the military, this is no draft, and as of yet, there is no draft.
That might change once Kerry is in office, though.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Uh, John, would you care to cite the part of the Geneva Convention that says we have to have world approval before we defend ourselves? Maybe I skimmed past that part.

Thanks in advance.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Uh, John, would you care to cite the part of the Geneva Convention that says we have to have world approval before we defend ourselves? Maybe I skimmed past that part.

Thanks in advance.

Defending yourself?
I thought Bush' fairytales about "defending ourselves" were debunked by now. Did you miss the reports about missing evidence for the threat that IRAQ was said to be?

Let's hope Kerry does a better job.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Maybe they've actually done there own research and realized that the basis of this war has as much cred as Mickey Mouse dancing in Disneyland. I know that the perfect soldier is a mindless drone, but the perfect american is an educated individual

What does research have to do with fulfilling their obligation in serving in the armed forces?
The perfect soldier is not a mindless drone but and problem solver with the discipline to carry out what ever mission he or she is given.
The fact of the matter is that these enlisted individuals should get off their rear and get in the game in order to quickly get Iraq to a state of independence and self governing.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   

What does research have to do with fulfilling their obligation in serving in the armed forces?
The perfect soldier is not a mindless drone but and problem solver with the discipline to carry out what ever mission he or she is given.
The fact of the matter is that these enlisted individuals should get off their rear and get in the game in order to quickly get Iraq to a state of independence and self governing.

Exactly what Bush didn't do.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I have did my tour with the Corps 20+ years ago. U.S. law states that all previous military personel are subject to recall till the age of 31. it does not matter if you are active or inactive. Iwas called up for Grenada as well as some oter Recon marines who were not active or inactive reserve.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Excatly what Bush didn't do

What are you talking about it looks like that's what is going on today.
Did anyone one think that this would be a cake walk?
Resistance was to be expected didn�t anyone not know this?
This place is crawling with radical Moslem�s and on top of that military equipment such as RPG�s and other weapons appear to be very easily accessible.
The mentality of some people in this nation is if we cannot fix the problem in 15 minutes well let�s give up.

I have did my tour with the Corps 20+ years ago. U.S. law states that all previous military personel are subject to recall till the age of 31. it does not matter if you are active or inactive. Iwas called up for Grenada as well as some oter Recon marines who were not active or inactive reserve.

Your story sounds unique. Recon is apart of special forces and they have elite training and aren�t easily replaceable.
I went in a Corps in 84, I was a parachute rigger and I rigged with and for Recon.
I have seen their training and understand how valuable this force is.

From what I�ve read this seems to be some weekend warriors not showing up for duty this is what I have a problem with.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join