It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US ambassador blasts Norway again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   
This is ridiculous!
What gives this man the right to threaten Norway again?
"Either you�re with us, or you�re against us"...

From US ambassador blasts Norway again

The US ambassador to Norway, John Doyle Ong, made headlines 18 months ago for what many interpreted as veiled threats designed to encourage more support for the war in Iraq. Now Ong (photo) has written to the Minister of Justice, criticizing the lack of bidding over a contract to supply rescue helicopters, newspaper VG reports.

Minister of Justice (and Police) Odd Einar Dorum has been told that the lack of bidding to deliver ten new rescue helicopters - which American firm Sikorsky is reportedly eager to supply - is unjust and unwise.

VG reports that Ong writes that his own business sense indicates that the government's strategy cannot serve Norwegian interests and offers to help Norway in this "delicate matter".

Dorum and the ministry would not comment on Ong's letter, and also refused to say anything about the content of their reply.

Click link for the full article...

All these years of NATO cooperation could be flushed down the toilet just like that,
b/c Norway won�t "OBEY their Masters, and do what they�re told to do"!
And they wonder why US is not popular anymore in the world...

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I am sure there is more to it than this, did I read that it has been under investigation for a year and if declared a miltary purchase that the French get first dibs?

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Actually the reason for my anger is not this article alone. If you knew what happened before the Iraq war was launched, then you�d probably understand better. This thing just came on top of that, and I actually haven�t had time to fully study all the details on this deal.

On the page I provided a link to above, there are also links to related articles involving him. For instance this one (before Iraq war) : US ambassador's remarks raise hackles. Just remember, these articles have been translated into english based on original norwegian articles. They might loose some in translation. I�ve heard that his statements back then was ordered by Washington.

They tried to scare Norway to fully support whatever they were about to do, and without questions. And norwegians were stunned by this. Both the "left wing" and the "right wing" (who usually supports US). If they had gone along with it at that time, it would have been interpreted as they were bowing under pressure. And this happened after Norway had sent troops and military equipment to Afghanistan to back the US...

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   
They should just buy whatever they were originally going to buy.
If they wanted Sikorsky helipcopters, they woud have asked for bids but they obviously have some other manufacturer in mind.

I read an article that says Norway has already ordered fourteen NH 90 NFH helicopters, with options on 10 more. (link)

It would make sense for them to stick with that model if they are happy with it, rather than having a hodgepodge of different models from other manufacturers.

Here's the manufacturer site for the NH 90:
NH Industries

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 07:30 PM
link   
It seems that countries who do not do exactly as the United States says inevitably become adversaries. France, Germany, Russia, now Norway.

Sad, really. It's as though the Bush administration is trying to break any resistance to its agenda by force and intimidation.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Controlling Norway should not be so hard for a religious President. Norway is run by a priest after all (Bondevik) and is thus one of the two countries in the world run by a priest. The other is Iran. And they (Iran) support Bush too it seems.

The plot thickens....

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   
....being fully able to tell the bullying right-wing loonies in the USA to sod off as and when required.

(OK so Norway has a funny 'not quite a member' status but she's a damn sight more in than out and these kind of US pronouncements just move her closer and closer to the rest of us)

Feck 'em Norse brothers, buy European!

[edit on 24-10-2004 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
....being fully able to tell the bullying right-wing loonies in the USA to sod off as and when required.

Agreed.

US diplomacy is beligerent all over.

US ambassador to Canada Paul Cellucci is always putting his nose in Canadian politics.

US "diplomats" don't seem to realize that economic and military threats to get what they want will not make the US any friends.

Odd

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Forget Norway... come to Kenya!

(sorry, it's been a long week
)

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Odd, YES!!! it's been a while since I saw that one!

Kenyaaaaa, Kenya, Kenya, Kenyaaaaaaah!!!

top topics

join