It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Stamp Use Up 1.44 million in Just One Month

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by neo96

Also, a chunk of that money goes to the elderly and disabled. Especially long term care for the elderly. And that medicare money doesn't kick in until all the assests of the elderly person is gone.

Medicare automatically kicks in when someone goes on SS that automatically gets deducted from that SS check.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah65

You sir....despite your clever posts here and there...are not that bright.

Well duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I told you that.
I can barely write my name, let alone comprehend your statements in one sitting. I have to read a sentence, and then Google have of the words for what they mean.

I am a Libertarian to the point of being an Anarchist. I personally believe in big freedom. I think if you leave people alone they will find a way to get by. I am sure you will disagree. You strike me as the type of person that wants the machine to keep running as long as you are relatively unscathed...I disagree with that. I love my freedom and I love to do whatever I feel like doing in the privacy of my home. I have an Achilles heel though...I mourn for my fellow man. I see his pain...I see his hurt...and I want better for him. I suppose some of you that like to hide behind our "Libertarian" brand do not see this...I cannot help myself, I see and feel their pain.

Yeah, don't think so, as you still want the Govt to be the nanny of the people.
Your Achilles heel is a good one, but to have the Govt fund it and be the responsible member goes against the core belief of Libertarians.

I so wish for a fair world. I work, I take contracts...I fulfill my obligations and I get paid...this is what I do. I also see they guy at the corner store...dirty...poor and hungry...and it bothers me...it bothers me that in a world of plenty, someone has to beg...there is something broken here and I don't pretend to have the answers.

If it bothers you, then YOU help. Not rob another citizen, to provide for your pet project and personal issue.

Maybe your idea of freedom is a dog eat dog world...and maybe that is what is needed...if you cannot compete, you die....maybe that is what is best.

Yes, as that is personal Freedom. You either want the freedom to fail and succeed on your own, with no strings attached, or you want the safety blanket of Govt there. Not very difficult to comprehend.

it sounds heartless but it removes the burdens on the successful to afford life to the unsuccessful.

I guess, as my success is my success. Not yours and the Govts.

I think you have shown your hand...you are not human...you are a monster and a predator.

Nope, I am a meat Popsicle.
Oh, and do you know personally, my dealings with helping people? My donations of time and money???
Nah, you just march forth with the idea that Govt is here, and will save us all.

Accolades to you...you have absolutely summed up the human condition....we only do well when we subjugate another....how wonderful. Sleep well...perhaps the truth will find it's way into your subconscious...apparently there is no getting through the conscious defenses you have set up to justify the suffering of others...

I will sleep well in the regards of knowing I personally help people.
I will sleep well in knowing that I understand that the Govt can't collectively wipe it's own butt, without screwing something up.
I will sleep well in knowing that I have made good personal choices, with the long term goals in place, instead of buying that new Big Screen TV, not progressing in any sort of career and then bitching and moaning when things go south and I am lost without a job.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I have to say that I am shocked Beez. This is the first time I have noticed something has gone completely over your head.

Just nevermind.....Let's move on.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247

I think you are missing the social responsibility aspect of this. It's like taking tax money and using it to fund road construction.

Should the people that do not drive have to pay that tax? Why would they take from my paycheck to pay for roads that I may never use?

Oh, I am SO glad you brought that up.
I think that everyone should pay to help fund. EVERYONE. Not having some Progressive idea of a sliding scale in taxes, where wealthier people pay more in taxes. They don't, by default use the road more, or have a special road, so they should not be paying more in taxes.

See how the line of thinking you used completely falls apart?

Yep, sure does once you look at the sliding scale of taxes, and the idea to tax the rich more.

It's better for all of society to have proper roads. It is good for society to help people, with OUR money (not just yours), if they need some damned food.

We all use the road.
The food, funded by food stamps benefits an individual.
Nice try though.

edit on 10-12-2012 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

First, food stamps doesn't always equate to unemployment. There are many working poor.

You are 100% right.

But who is going to really suffer? The Working Poor.

The Tax Policy Center has announced that, if we hurtle over the fiscal cliff, the average middle class family would pay an additional $1,984 in taxes in 2013.

The number brings to mind George Orwell, the patron saint of political satire; 1984, after all, is the title of Orwell's famous novel of bureaucratic evil run amok. But today, just as in Orwell's dystopia, the most important thing isn't what is being said, but what is not. Because, while the $1,984 sum is impressive, it hides the true cost of the fiscal cliff, a precipice that will punish all families, but some more than others.

Yes, the average middle-class family will pay $1,984 more, but the fiscal cliff will cost the average family overall $3,446, almost twice as much. The huge gap between those two numbers reveals the wide difference between middle class and upper class tax breaks -

The Fiscal Cliff: Who Has the Most to Lose If We Fall Off

I see an even bigger increase in those on Food Stamps. Not only that, I know families losing 1000 per child in tax breaks, that will expire. I know small businesses keeping their employment under 49 employees, to offset any penalties from Obama care.

Is 60 million people on food stamps unrealistic? Nope.

edit on 10-12-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeremiah65

That was weird. Sorry about that.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

The cost of living in my county, in order to make enough to just get by, is $80,000 per year.

I can't get over that comment takes 80 grand a year just to get by

Wow

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

I have to say that I am shocked Beez. This is the first time I have noticed something has gone completely over your head.

Just nevermind.....Let's move on.

As I am equally shocked that you refuse to answer a simple question.

C'est la vie.
edit on 10-12-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I did answer. I said that I couldn't begin to tell you. There is no way to know and I'd hate to be the one to speculate.

edit on 10-12-2012 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

We all use the road. The food, funded by food stamps benefits an individual. Nice try though.

Do we not all benefit by not having people die of starvation or by not having people stealing to feed their family? There are more benefits than just what you see on the surface. The number one benefit being lower crime.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Anyone care to guess how much of the US population will be on foodstamps at the end of Obama's second term?

Close to 60 million.

My guess.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

No one is buying anything. You think that during a recession, someone is willing to shell out money for a used lamp?

Talk about spoiled middle class who has no clue.

You are a little late and a little off on your retort, but I will play.
Yes, go look at craigslist, Ebay or local garage sales.
Again, it is not my responsibility to fund my neighbor, via theft from the Govt.

*laughs* you can list them. But it doesn't mean anybody will buy. I have had friends who have had garage sales and people only want to pay 50cents for a piece of furniture.
Ebay charges you to list. my friends quit when nothign was sold, and THEN t hey had to shell out several dollars to ebay fees.

I love people who think like you that you exist in this bubble with no effect on your neighbor, but you are a human who lives in human society where everyone depends on everyone.

Just because you have never had a fire, doesn't mean that you don't have to pay into local funds for a fire department. It also means providing for children who will grow up to be doctors and teachers and soldiers, who provide services for all of society.
There is nothing you do, in your day to day life, that you can do that isn't from benefitting from someone else.
The healthier children are, the better education the receive, all benefit from society as a whole.
But since you can't seem to think beyond yourself, you don't see how it benefits everyone as a whole.
The healthier a population is, the higheer the GDP.

So you sell a few possession for a few bucks this month, what about next month?

I guess just bitch and moan loud enough, and make sure you cast your vote for 0bama to reach into my pocket to give you money.

As it is pointed out over and over on these threads, the highest welfare recipients, are the red states. Thefood stamp predisent, who got us into this mess, was Bush.
But that doesn't play into your republican rhetoric 101 playbook.

I have tried to sell my comic book collection, no one is buying. There is no point.

Ebay. Someone will buy it. But, I am willing that you won't sell it for a reduced, going market price.

As I already pointed out, the cost of listing on ebay is more then people are willing to pay for a comic book, no matter the worth.
It also gets a little more complicated without boring you with the comic book world logistics.

"Sorry kids, I have to sell your toys, because uncle Macman thinks we should be in utter desolation like a third world country, before we can get help"

Or how about, "Hey kids, we can keep all your toys, because the Govt will steal money from Macman, and give it to us".
Or how about, "Hey kids, we have to sell some stuff because we are poor. I think we will turn to our family for help, and then maybe our Church.

This shows how clueless you are. By the time people reach this point, the whole family is poor. Do you think someone with wealthy parents go to the welfare office?

But, I have drawn a line with allowing the Govt to take from someone else, to give to us. I, the father and leader of the family will start working 2 jobs, and look to get some side work to get us through this".
Yeah, yours is so much better, huh?

Hey kids, this shows how shortsighted macman is. See if you help people now, they contribute later. Instead, he wants the great country of USA to turn into slums like a third world country, then complain that there are homeless people everywhere and they are unsightly and smell.

My best friend, has two girls, whos father abandoned them. See in macman's world, everything is black and white and bad never happens. See, he went off the radar and left a woman to provide for two kids by herself.

So she went on welfare, fed her kids, got childcare so she could go to school. NOW, she manages a business, owns a house, and pays more than her fair share of taxes. Her kids, now getting a decent education, can become successful citizens themselves.

edit on 10-12-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

I did answer. I said that I couldn't not begin to tell you. There is no way to know and I'd hate to be the one to speculate.

But as a supporter of Obama's polices, wouldn't you agree that the fewer people on foodstamps be indicative of successful domestic policy?

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I hate to resort to Ad hominem tactics...but you really are an idiot. You are almsot so ignorant it has to be on purpose...is that the goal? Talk from the other side to push your mist veiled agenda?

Told you I was not so bright.
What does an ad about hominy having anything to do with you calling me names????
Derpa Derpa,

If for one second you actually understood a thing....you might know where I come from....but you are the perfect straw man...you bark up this crap that is so wrong and anyone with a 3rd grade education knows it. I have always posted accordingly...I believe in freedom....I am borderline anarchist because I think we govern ourselves better than some "institution" does....

If you believe in freedom, then you believe in people failing or succeeding on their own merit, and reaping the benefits or loss incurred, correct?

I have always stood for big freedom and small gov...I realize we have to have the monster for a few reasons....but you sir....you take the argument into insanity...unnecessary and stupid.

Yep, me stupid. Me want less Govt. Me want the core of Libertarian ideals.

I think you are hiding something...

I am..............Can you keep a secret?????
I stuff my underwear when I go out Friday nights.

I don't think you believe the trype you post...I think you like being divisionist and hateful...

Yep, I hate people SO much, that I donate time and money, after the Govt has reached in and stole both to give to people as well.

but I don't think you believe one word of it. I think...beneath the trappings....you might actually be a human and you know we have a problem...

Yes, there is a problem with the Govt.
And no, I am a meat Popsicle with someone typing for me.

.I think...after consideration...I was wrong...I think you are probably a nice guy...I think you want humanity to do awesome...I think you know this system is broken...and like the rest of us, you don't have any answers....

My avatar, right above it, labels me as something.

I do have the answer. Take the country back to how it was originally intended. Personal freedom, small Govt.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Do we not all benefit by not having people die of starvation or by not having people stealing to feed their family? There are more benefits than just what you see on the surface. The number one benefit being lower crime.

No, we would benefit if said person had a job.

Hunger is not an excuse to steal.
Oh, if you don't mind, please provide the study that shows crime, mainly theft, goes up when people don't have Food stamps to turn to.

I am fine with dispatching a person breaking into my home, regardless if for food or for property.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

You don't understand cost of living?

You do know that it is not uniform across the country?

Do you think the same salary works in Idaho, as it does in NYC, or LA?

yes I know it is extreme, it is pretty stupid. As soon as you cross the county line, gas magically jumpes 30cents a gallon.

A small 560sqft efficiency or one bedroom starts about 1200 a month. Lets put it this way, a condo will run you about $250-450K.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Can you fix the quote thing?
I would like to respond.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

reply to post by beezzer

I did answer. I said that I couldn't not begin to tell you. There is no way to know and I'd hate to be the one to speculate.

But as a supporter of Obama's polices, wouldn't you agree that the fewer people on foodstamps be indicative of successful domestic policy?

Who said I supported Obama's policies? I didn't. Whether it's speculating or assuming....you're on a roll today!
I'm just playing with you, my all-wise bunny overlord.

I agree that less people on foodstamps is a good indication of a productive economy, but is Obama the one to blame for this? Shouldn't we be looking at the Fed and the decisions made by the POLICYMAKERS in congress?

Blaming Obama is useless and shows that too many people do not know how the economy or policy-creation works.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by Jeremiah65

That was weird. Sorry about that.

Yeah...I didn't think it was so tough but someone did. Sorry Mac...I do have a brain and I am capable of thinking outside the box.

Dude...we have a broken system. I don't even pretend to know what is wrong. I mean...consider this...my post that got deleted and thousands of points deducted was not so horrible. I cannot see where I did a bad thing...sure...I got personal...I challenged you to see things from a different viewpoint...but it was not purely ad hominem....though...I admit...I did fire a few shots...

Mac....I am a lover of freedom...I hate the legislation we have seen curbing our freedom...I seriously do...I have a serious problem with HR 347, the patriot act and a few others...these are not freedoms folks...these are encroachments on our freedoms that are veiled behind agenda....sad and scary.

I can be a realist and I can be an idealist. I want our species to do amazing things...I want us to one day reach for the distant stars...there is no profit in that....sorry. I want us to do excellent for the sake of excellent...not for a damn dollar. We have it within us to do these things....we choose not to. I love my freedom and I want more of it...a lot more. You and I are prob not so different as it might seem. I am a Libertarian in the purest form...give me freedom....or..."Give me Liberty or give me death"...what a perfect statement.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join