It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stories of Jesus in Islamic tradition.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
It seems everything people know of about Jesus is from the Bible. People forget that Jesus is also a part of Islam and not much is known about Jesus in Islamic tradition. In this thread, I will be posting some stories and sayings of Jesus in Islamic tradition for Christians and Muslims to read and reflect.

There are more of his sayings on these sites, but I'm just posting a few here.
source 1
source 2

Iblis (Satan) came to Jesus then he said: 'Do you not claim that you can revive the dead?' Jesus said: 'Yes.' Iblis said: 'Then throw yourself down from the top of the wall.' Then Jesus said: 'Woe unto you! Verily the servant does not try his Lord.' And Iblis said: 'O Jesus! Can your Lord put the earth in an egg while the egg remains in its form?' Then he said: 'Verily impotence is not attributed to Allah, the Supreme, but what you said cannot be.'

Jesus ('a) said: "O assembly of disciples! I have thrown the world prostrate before you, so do not lift it up after me, for one of the evils of this world is that Allah was disobeyed in it, and one of the evils of this world is that the next world is not attained except by abandoning this one. So pass through this world without making it your home, and know that the root of all wrong is the love of this world. Many a vain desire leaves a legacy of lasting sorrow."

"Blessed is he who abandons the present desire for the absent promise."

"Woe to the companion of the world! How he dies and leaves it and how he relies on it and it deceives him, and how he trusts it and it forsakes him! Woe unto those who are deceived! How that which is repugnant encompasses them and that which is beloved separates from them! And that which is promised will come to them. And woe to those whose endeavors are only for the world and error. How he will be disgraced before Allah tomorrow!"

Jesus, Peace be upon him, is reported to have said: "How can one be of the people of knowledge if the next world is shown to him while he remains involved in this world, and what harms him is more desirable to him than what benefits him?''

"Teach us a deed for which Allah will love us." He said: "Detest the world and Allah will love you."

'Jesus the son of Mary, may the blessings of Allah be upon him, said: 'You work for the sake of this world while it is not by work that you are provided for in it. And you do not work for the sake of the next world, while it is only by work that you will be provided for in it. Woe be unto you, evil learned ones ('ulama)! You take your wage and neglect works. Soon the worker's work will he accepted, and soon you will be driving forth from the narrowness of this world toward the darkness of the grave. How can one be knowledgeable who is on the way to the next world and yet his face is turned towards this world, and he likes the things that harm him more than the things that benefit him?'

Jesus ('a) said: "The love of this world and the next cannot come together in the heart of a believer, like water and fire in a single vessel."

Jesus ('a) said: "This world and the next one are rivals. When you please one of them you displease the other."

"The Messiah, Peace be upon him, said to his Apostles: 'Verily, this world is merely a bridge, so cross over it, and do not make it your abode.' ''

"Do not take the world as a master, for it will make you its slave. Keep your treasure with one who will not squander it. The owners of the treasures of this world fear for its ruin, but he who owns the treasure of Allah does not fear for its ruin.''

And it was said to him Jesus "Who trained you?" He said: "No one trained me. I saw the ugliness of ignorance and I avoided it.

"Jesus the son of Mary ('a) stood up among the Children of Israel and said: 'O Children of Israel! Do not speak with the ignorant of wisdom, for otherwise you do injustice with it, and do not keep it from its folk, for otherwise you do injustice to them, and do not help the unjust with his injustice, for otherwise your virtue becomes void. Affairs are three: the affair whose righteousness is clear to you, so follow it: the affair whose error is clear to you, so avoid it'. and the affair about which there are differences, so return it to Allah, the Almighty and Glorious."

Jesus ('a) said to a worshipper, "What do you do?" He answered, "I worship." He ('a) said, "Then who provides for you?" He said, "My brother." He ('a) said, "Your brother is more of a worshipper than you are!

"Jesus the son of Mary ('a) passed by a group of people who were crying. He asked why they were crying. It was said to him that they were crying for their sins. He said, they should pray about them and they will be forgiven."

Jesus ('a) said: "O group of Apostles! How many lamps the wind has put out, and how many worshippers pride has corrupted.!"

Jesus (a) said: "Never stare at that which is not for you. If you restrain your eyes you will never commit adultery; and if you are able to avoid looking at the garments of women who are not permitted for you, then do so."

It is reported that he Jesus ('a) passed by a carcass with his disciples. Then the disciples said: "How putrid the smell of this dog is!" Then Jesus ('a) said: "How intense is the whiteness of his teeth!"

"Jesus the son of Mary ('a) sent two of his companions on an errand. Then one of them returned thin and afflicted and the other fat and chubby. He said to the one who was thin: what did this to you, that I see you this way?' He said: 'The fear of Allah.' And he said to the other who was fat: 'What did this to you, that I see you this way?' He said: 'A good opinion of Allah.' "

Jesus, Peace be upon him, used to say: 'Regarding the terror which you do not know when you will encounter (i.e. death), what prevents you from preparing for it before it comes upon you suddenly?'

And he (Jesus ('a)) said: "How long will you be advised without taking any advice? Certainly you have become a burden to the advisors."

'Verily, when Jesus the son of Mary ( 'a) passed along the shore of a sea, he threw a piece of his bread into the water, Then some of the disciples said: 'O Spirit of Allah and His Word! Why did you do this when that was your food.' He said: "I did this in order that some animal among the animals of the sea may eat it, and the reward of Allah for this is great.'

Jesus the son of Mary ('a) stood up among the Children of Israel to preach. He said. 'O Children of Israel! Do not eat before you become hungry and when you become hungry eat but do not eat your fill, because when you eat your fill your necks become thick and your sides grow fat and you forget your Lord"

"Jesus the son of Mary (a) said: ''Blessed is he whose silence is contemplation (fikr). whose glance is an admonition, whose house suffices him and who cries over his mistakes and from whose hand and tongue the people are safe.'

edit on 10-12-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
(continued)

And Jesus the son of Mary said: "There is no sickness of the heart more severe than callousness, and no soul is more severely affected than the one that goes without hunger, and these two are the halters of expulsion (from divine mercy) and abandonment."

Verily, Jesus ('a) said: "Why do you come to me clothed in the garments of monks while your hearts are those of ferocious wolves? Wear the clothes of kings, but soften your hearts with fear."

"The disciples said to Jesus the son of Mary ('a): 'O teacher of the good! Teach us what is the most severe of things.' Then he said: the most severe of things is the wrath of Allah.' They said: 'Then what prevents the wrath of Allah?' He said: 'That you not be wrathful.' They said: 'What is the source of wrath?' He said: 'Pride, haughtiness and contempt for the people.'

"The Messiah, Peace be upon him, used to say: 'He who has many worries, his body becomes sick; he who is ill-tempered, his self becomes his torment; he who often talks, often stumbles; he who often lies, loses his worth; he who quarrels with men, loses his manliness.'

Jesus ('a) met Iblis who was driving five donkeys. Loads were upon them. Jesus ('a) asked him about the loads. Iblis said, "They are for trade, and I am looking for buyers." Jesus ('a) said, "What is the merchandise?" Iblis said, "One of them is injustice." He ('a) asked, "Who buys it?" He said, "Rulers. And the second is pride." He asked, "Who buys it?" He said, "Village chiefs. And the third is envy." He asked, "Who buys it?" He said, "The learned. And the fourth is treason." He asked, "Who buys it?" He said, "Those who work for merchants. And the fifth is trickery." He said, "Who buys it?" He said, "Women."

Jesus, Peace be upon him, said: "My hands 'are my servant and my feet are my mount; the earth is my bed, a stone my pillow; my blanket in the winter is the east of the earth and my lamp in the night is the moon; my stew is hunger and my motto is fear; my garment is wool and my fruit and my basil what grows from the earth for wild beasts and cattle. I sleep while I have nothing and I rise while I have nothing, and yet there is no one on earth wealthier than I"

And Jesus ('a) used to say: "O apostles, love God through hatred of the 'disobedient, and approach God by distancing (yourselves) from them, and seek pleasure by their displeasure."

"If you like, I will tell you about Jesus the son of Mary, Peace he upon him. He used a stone as his pillow, wore course clothing and ate rough food. His stew was hunger and his lamp in the night was the moon. His cover in the winter was the east of the earth and its west. His fruit and his basil is that which grows from the earth for the cattle. He had no wife to try him, and no son to grieve him. He had no wealth to distract him, nor greed to abase him. His mount was his feet and his servant was his hands."

Jesus, Peace he upon him, served a meal to the Apostles, and when they had eaten it, he himself washed their hands. They said: "O Spirit of God! It would have been more proper for us to wash yours!" He said: "I did this only that you would do this for those whom you teach."

Jesus, Peace he upon him, passed by a grave whose occupant was being chastised. Then he passed it the following year when he was not being chastised. He said: "O Lord! I passed through this town last year and he was being chastised, and I passed through it this year while he is not being chastised." Then God revealed to him: "O Spirit of God! Verily one of his children matured and removed obstacles from a road and sheltered an orphan. Then I forgave him for the deeds of his child."

God said to Jesus: "O Jesus! Verily I have granted unto you the poor and made you merciful towards them. You love them and they love you. They are pleased with you as a leader and guide, and you are pleased with them as companions and followers. These are two of My qualities. Whoever meets Me with these (qualities) meets Me with the purest of deeds which are dearest to Me."

God revealed to Jesus ('a): "Be to the people like the ground below in meekness, like the flowing water in generosity, and like the sun and the moon in mercy, which shine on the good and the sinner alike.

Jesus (Peace be upon him!) said, "Beware of looking, for it sows desire in theheart, and it is sufficient for seduction."

It is related that a pig passed by Jesus (Peace be upon him!), and he said,"Pass in peace." Then someone said, "O Spirit of God, do you say this to a pig?" He replied, "I dislike accustoming my tongue to evil."

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Well it is nice of you to post that, but no Christian will care much about words attributed to Jesus in Islamic tradition. Yahweh and Allah are not the same being. In order to accept the Jesus of Islam one must deny the Jesus of the Bible. The two are mutually exclusive.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04
Well it is nice of you to post that, but no Christian will care much about words attributed to Jesus in Islamic tradition. Yahweh and Allah are not the same being. In order to accept the Jesus of Islam one must deny the Jesus of the Bible. The two are mutually exclusive.

And so continues, the days of our lives. Victor fans will never forgive Melissa for leaving him at the altar. The two are not mutually exclusive.

This is why man made tales of god seem entirely empty to me. There are people support Melissa, and some that support Victor. But it seems lost on them that they are watching a soap opera.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04

And so continues, the days of our lives. Victor fans will never forgive Melissa for leaving him at the altar. The two are not mutually exclusive.

This is why man made tales of god seem entirely empty to me. There are people support Melissa, and some that support Victor. But it seems lost on them that they are watching a soap opera.

The difference is that in your scenario there is one story, and two different characters. Here we have 1 character and two stories. Terrible analogy.

The Biblical Jesus is the Son of God, not a mere prophet but God Himself. Islamic Jesus is merely a prophet. The two are mutually exclusive whether you want them to be or not is irrelevant, whether you think both are stupid is irrelevant, it is impossible for them to be the same, they can not both be accurate depictions.
edit on 10-12-2012 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Although your words just bring division , this man (the OP) has tried to show that the Jesus in Qur'an and the Jesus Christ , the messenger of Christian believers are the same people.

I hope you know the history of Bible and how and who gathered it.

And many Christian people know that Bible is not 100 % what Jesus said and how he said.

+ You don't have to speak for all Christian people while you ignore these facts easily.

peace.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

Dear sk0rpi0n,

Nice to see you again, and thank you for posting an interesting thread. It's a good idea and I'm glad you did it. But you know I'm easily confused.

Many ATSers, dismiss the Bible accounts of Jesus' life by pointing out that they were written in final form decades after His death. How will you deal with accounts written centuries after His death?

If we say that Islam's accounts come word for word from a heavenly being, how does that differ from some Fundamentalists claiming every word in the Bible is inerrant?

And it seems that while we having only a spiritual being's authority for the truth of the accounts in Islam, Christianity claims not only Divine inspiration, but also first-hand witnesses.

I think the Islamic accounts of Jesus' life will have a tough sell here. Christian accounts, while not popular here either, seem to have a stronger claim at first glance.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   

The Biblical Jesus is the Son of God, not a mere prophet but God Himself. Islamic Jesus is merely a prophet.

Christians have only misinterpreted their Bibles to conclude that Jesus is God Himself.

In Islam, Jesus is more than just a prophet, he is the messiah.
Islam also teaches that Jesus was born of a virgin and will return in the end times to defeat the anti-Christ.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Many ATSers, dismiss the Bible accounts of Jesus' life by pointing out that they were written in final form decades after His death. How will you deal with accounts written centuries after His death?

The final form of the account was based off existing records of Jesus' life... either as oral traditions or a written record. Jesus spoke to crowds and had his disciples, thereby meaning there would have been plenty of witnesses to what he said and did.

Unless there was a deliberate attempt on the part of people to distort the history of Jesus, his life and his words... there's a good chance that a lot of what he actually said and did made it to the final form.

I think the Islamic accounts of Jesus' life will have a tough sell here. Christian accounts, while not popular here either, seem to have a stronger claim at first glance.

Thats because people believe only the Bible is a source on Jesus. People either forget or deny that Jesus has a presence in Islam as well.

Either way, I did not intend for this thread to turn into an Islam vs Christianity debate, (which I can see its slowly turning into), but rather to just go over Jesus' wisdom as held in Islamic tradition and see if we can learn something from it.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n

The Biblical Jesus is the Son of God, not a mere prophet but God Himself. Islamic Jesus is merely a prophet.

Christians have only misinterpreted their Bibles to conclude that Jesus is God Himself.

Islam also teaches that Jesus was born of a virgin and will return in the end times to defeat the anti-Christ.

Many people are the people of experiment and benefit. While Christianity support their ambitions they are Christian. When it it Islam , they are Muslim.

They are not the people of thinking , they are the people of results.

They are mostly poor , but they have been breed by the elites.

They just wait until death to find the best which supports their agenda and guarantee their after life ,too.

They are likely to lose both this life and the after life.

These sentences are so sharp I cut my hand.

The unseen heaven is valuable and they miss to understand this.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

Dear sk0rpi0n,

Either way, I did not intend for this thread to turn into an Islam vs Christianity debate, (which I can see its slowly turning into), but rather to just go over Jesus' wisdom as held in Islamic tradition and see if we can learn something from it.

You are absolutely right, I apologize.

I don't think we will learn new truths from Islam's accounts, but I think we will see old truths in new ways and that is very valuable.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by mideast

Although your words just bring division , this man (the OP) has tried to show that the Jesus in Qur'an and the Jesus Christ , the messenger of Christian believers are the same people.

I hope you know the history of Bible and how and who gathered it.

And many Christian people know that Bible is not 100 % what Jesus said and how he said.

+ You don't have to speak for all Christian people while you ignore these facts easily.

peace.

I am not going to turn this into which is right and which is wrong. The fact is the Biblical Jesus is God become flesh. Islamic Jesus is not. One version is wrong. It's very simple. Christianity has as its base the fact Jesus was a perfect sinless person, God in the flesh, and died for the sins of all men. That is not the Islamic Jesus. End of story. Believe the version you want. Believe both are wrong. I am not here to convince anyone to follow one version or the other.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Does it teach Jesus died for the sins of all men? That he is the greatest of all prophets? You claim the Bible is wrong and the Koran is right. You only cement my claim the two versions are mutually exclusive. One is a lie, from your own mouth.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   

reply to post by charles1952

The final form of the account was based off existing records of Jesus' life... either as oral traditions or a written record. Jesus spoke to crowds and had his disciples, thereby meaning there would have been plenty of witnesses to what he said and did.

Unless there was a deliberate attempt on the part of people to distort the history of Jesus, his life and his words... there's a good chance that a lot of what he actually said and did made it to the final form.

Thats because people believe only the Bible is a source on Jesus. People either forget or deny that Jesus has a presence in Islam as well.

We have accounts of the Bible that are far, far younger than Islamic accounts. They match the current Bible. Your argument is once again strengthening the fact one version is a lie.

So since one account is a lie, why would the Christian believe there is wisdom in an account which is newer, and conflicts with the account that is older? I am asking a serious question here. I do not want to get into a which is right debate. I am not going to debate you that your version is wrong. I believe my question to be an honest one. Why is your version more valid than older versions?
edit on 10-12-2012 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
That sounds good and true enough to me.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   

So since one account is a lie, why would the Christian believe there is wisdom in an account which is newer, and conflicts with the account that is older?

Except I am not even implying that one account is a lie.
I didn't start this thread saying "Everything we know about Jesus from the Bible is a lie, heres the real deal from Islam". And with regard to the quotes I posted in the OP.... why do you feel "conflicts" with the older account? Its not like Jesus in Islam said things that are out of character from Jesus in the bible, does it?

If we need to understand what kind of person Jesus was, it makes sense to study his own words as preserved in the Bible and in Islamic tradition.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Does it teach Jesus died for the sins of all men?

Actually, Jesus himself did not say many of the things that Christians believe today.

Jesus did not teach anything about the trinity, him being God and him dying for the sins of mankind etc. Just because Christians extract a certain meaning out of the bible, doesn't mean Jesus said those words.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   

The difference is that in your scenario there is one story, and two different characters. Here we have 1 character and two stories. Terrible analogy.

The Biblical Jesus is the Son of God, not a mere prophet but God Himself. Islamic Jesus is merely a prophet. The two are mutually exclusive whether you want them to be or not is irrelevant, whether you think both are stupid is irrelevant, it is impossible for them to be the same, they can not both be accurate depictions.

Ah but this is where you are wrong. Melissa is biblical Jesus and Victor is Islamic Jesus. If you don't believe me I suggest dedicating your life to watching days of our lives. It will become apparent after many years of viewership.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Does it teach Jesus died for the sins of all men?

Actually, Jesus himself did not say many of the things that Christians believe today.

Jesus did not teach anything about the trinity, him being God and him dying for the sins of mankind etc. Just because Christians extract a certain meaning out of the bible, doesn't mean Jesus said those words.

Oh? What things do you refer to? PM me so as to not hijack the thread.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Ah but this is where you are wrong. Melissa is biblical Jesus and Victor is Islamic Jesus. If you don't believe me I suggest dedicating your life to watching days of our lives. It will become apparent after many years of viewership.

Well I apologize, it seems you agree Biblical Jesus and Islamic Jesus are two different people
And ugh, soaps. My friend in high school, her mom was a soap actress, I completely forget which one though.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join