It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Atheism movement is using ATS as a mouthpiece

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Questioning is completely different than criticizing. I'm not sure why you are having a hard time with understanding that.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by lambs to lions

What do you mean by criticizing, exactly? You're talking about a difference in civility, right? Name calling, mud slinging, etc...

edit on 9-12-2012 by Tearman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenGlassDoor

Moral framework? Try not basing morality on lies.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

I am a Bonchoist.

Ye of Boozer faith.

I don't know if this thread is anything but someone who believes, seeing something that they believe in. I wouldn't be too hard on Lamb. I will say this, Religion has fractured this World, and that's a fact. Religion is just like Politics. Means well, but has a track record. I take faith personally.. I have yet to see a thread that stays on topic, when it comes to faith.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by lambs to lions
So you are against tolerance? That is clearly what you are saying as the definition says that religion shouldn't be tolerated.

No, that is clearly not what I was saying.

Also, the definition you quoted reads:

religion should not simply be tolerated but should be countered [...] wherever its influence arises.

I merely said that I don't see a problem with this, as long as it is supported by rational argument.

How was I casting stones?

Well, you accused your opposition of irrationality... as a religious person... need I say more?
edit on 9-12-2012 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by trysts

The mythos behind religion is irrelevant as long as people behave in a fashion that creates a moral and just society. The really awesome part is the modern world can have both believers and non-believers.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   

So next time someone tells me they believe in God, I’ll say “Oh which one? Zeus? Hades? Jupiter? Mars? Odin? Thor? Krishna? Vishnu? Ra?…” If they say “Just God. I only believe in the one God,” I’ll point out that they are nearly as atheistic as me. I don’t believe in 2,870 gods, and they don’t believe in 2,869.

- Ricky Gervais

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

True, if this government were involved in raising children then it may be worse than religious people raising children. But I'm against child abuse, so I'm against this government and religious people raising children.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

As for your questions, how is professing a belief in God innately hypocritical just because I do it in public?

I apologize I was not saying the belief in god itself was innately hypocritical. I was merely point out that if someone has a belief in god and they show hypocritical behaviour, they should expect someone to say something to them. It is not an attack on their religion but an attack on their character themselves.

It's wrong to classify all religious belief as hypocritical. However, many religions are. I don't know, possibly a fine line there. But one that I do not wish to cross.

As for openly trying to convert people, that is what every thread is about, we are all trying to convince others of our position, regardless of the issue. You do it all the time in your threads, you try and sway people to follow your political beliefs.

Absolutely, yet I have no problem with people taking the opposite stance that I have, it's why I come on to the forum. So I can discuss and debate my points vs their points. The religious argument however, never see much of a resolution. One side of the argument is based on fact, the other belief, it is a never ending story unfortunately.

But you are right in a sense.

And you should expect opposing views...

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Let me explain, this country was founded on religious tolerance. It is important that we all have the right to believe in God, aliens, nothingness, or a great toaster oven in the sky. The same can be said for race, sex, sexuality, etc. Anytime there is a movement that seeks to maim, discredit or hurt any of our other rights then they are labeled as a hate group, example...the KKK. So then, why is it acceptable for New Atheists to preach intolerance?

I'm not trying to battle Atheism, I clearly stated I respect their right to believe what they believe.
edit on 9-12-2012 by lambs to lions because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-12-2012 by lambs to lions because: sp

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenGlassDoor

I don't think it's "awesome" to live in a society with crazy people. I think it's dangerous.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
founded on Religious tolerance? I am horny and want to sleep with that guys wife, no you say WITCH!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I will say this, Religion has fractured this World, and that's a fact. Religion is just like Politics. Means well, but has a track record. I take faith personally.. I have yet to see a thread that stays on topic, when it comes to faith.

Most people of faith (Like really about it, you know, they have it in them...) They never discussed it with me. They avoided the topic. But they sure as $%#& showed me through their actions. Small little things where they might change something for the better, or offer a helping hand to someone. Maybe help someone stand up for themselves, or sacrifice something for someone without them knowing it...

Those to me are people of faith. But if you ask them... They'll probably never admit it.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by trysts

Mental illness has nothing to do with religion. I am lost on the connection. Perhaps you are making a connection that doesn't exist. Ergo, you are mentally ill and do not want to live in a society with yourself. Therefore your hatred of religion is you an outward reflection of your self-hatred.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by chishuppu

In most of the world's religions adultery is a sin unto itself. There is no need to call in the supernatural.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColCurious

So you are against tolerance? That is clearly what you are saying as the definition says that religion shouldn't be tolerated.

No, that is clearly not what I was saying.

Also, the definition you quoted reads:

religion should not simply be tolerated but should be countered [...] wherever its influence arises.

I merely said that I don't see a problem with this, as long as it is supported by rational argument.

How was I casting stones?

Well, you accused your opposition of irrationality... as a religious person... need I say more?
edit on 9-12-2012 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

Again, I clearly stated what I was referring to when I said 'without rational thought'. You continue to talk, but do not listen.

Saying that you aren't saying something when you clearly are doesn't make any sense. If you are going to take a stance on something, stand by it.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I hear ya.

I was looking through the threads today. I saw the one that asked if Freemasons worship Demons. Talk about a group that gets demonized ! (No pun intended)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor
reply to post by trysts

The mythos behind religion is irrelevant as long as people behave in a fashion that creates a moral and just society. The really awesome part is the modern world can have both believers and non-believers.

Dear GreenGlassDoor,

While I believe there is a God, I certainly cannot force him to reveal himself to anyone and I am not an Evangelical. For the sake of discussion, let us consider what "morality" is promoted by non-believers and why. If one believes that this life is temporary and then over, what type of morality makes sense? The cost benefit analysis is used; but, it is a selfish cost benefit analysis, everything is viewed through the lens of what benefits me personally. At the extreme we have people like Ayn Rand, people who believe that selfishness is the only morality and that helping others is wrong. On the other end we have atheists who believe we are all in this boat together and should help each other because it is the right thing to do; but, they cannot give a logical justification for taking this position.

The second word you used was "just". Fairness presumes there is an objective right and wrong. We end up with two contradictory thoughts if we presume no God (and you don't have to believe there is one), morality becomes subjective whereas justice becomes objective.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor
reply to post by trysts

Mental illness has nothing to do with religion. I am lost on the connection. Perhaps you are making a connection that doesn't exist. Ergo, you are mentally ill and do not want to live in a society with yourself. Therefore your hatred of religion is you an outward reflection of your self-hatred.

Lol. Thank you, doctor. Disregard everything I say because it's just my way of hating myself. I don't believe in gods and saviours and heaven so I'm crazy.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by chishuppu

Was that meant to be coherent? Perhaps, you should open a history book...it will explain everything.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join