It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thanks ATS members (some) for perpetuating hate

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

You find it amazing? I find it amazing, too, chrismarco.

You know why I think it is? Partly, it's because I think that people always find the grass to be greener on the other side of the fence. But also because folks have been socialized to believe that if they become a disciple of Christ that they are somehow lacking, or silly, or stupid, or deluded.

So people project their desire to know God in to all of these 'religions' and lifeways from other cultures. It's safer, and they can compare all of it with others like them as though comparing trading cards.

Also, because this path is just too #ing strenuous in this society.

There is presently no system within our society that rewards a person for following Jesus, so why invest the blood, sweat and tears?

Word for word, the Book of John (NIV). No ups, no extras; fine acting.

And finally, I think that Aleister Crowley was on to something when he wrote that any person that interpreted the Book of The Law for another should be seen as a Center of Pestilence. Adhering to that would not at all appeal to facists that masquerade as Christian, but it would give us all a sorely needed break from assholes.
edit on 9-12-2012 by Xoanon because: added short description of film.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

If we are to be so enlightened on here must we continually make personal attacks against ones belief?

The first thing required of religion is to suspend disbelief and just believe. Believe without any proof. Believe because someone told you to. You have to.

Work at believing, practice believing. Accept it. This requires denial.

Then you must not question the denial.

The sure bottom line is believe or else...

Then you must resist questions from others.

Thats serious. Thats why religious belief is so serious and people that have worked all this denial into their mind consider it an attack to challenge their beliefs.

You have to pretend to know.

What some have been convinced into believing has no real basis in fact, so the structure of belief is kind of flimsy and doesn't stand up to questioning. To remain in denial it requires one to get upset. To call questions an attack. To evade questions there are no answers to...

...because we don't really know but have to pretend we do.

Which makes us "know-it-alls".

So there is no new information allowed either.

Stuck in their beliefs.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

What boggles my mind is that "some" people can not have a civilized and mature discussion about religion on here. Brings out the worst in the trolls and I find it disgusting when personal attacks and insults start flying around! I don't care if someone doesn't agree with me, but what happened to respect?

Thanks for writing the rant OP, you took the words out of my mouth.
edit on 9-12-2012 by Charmeine because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-12-2012 by Charmeine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
so it's just fine and dandy that half the world believes in something intangible?

I believe in Air but that's because it's something that can be recorded and studied, whereas 'god' cannot.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

I believe in Air but that's because it's something that can be recorded and studied, whereas 'god' cannot.

This thing that you insist cannot be recorded or measured influenced people to give nearly 96 billion dollars in 2011, to religious charities that support sectors of our communities that would otherwise be forgotten, allowing these figures to be measured and recorded (once right here, just for you).

32% of all donations, or $95.88 billion, went to religious organizations (down 1.7%). Much of these contributions can be attributed to people giving to their local place of worship.

The next largest sector was education with $38.87 billion (up 4%).

www.charitynavigator.org...

edit on 9-12-2012 by Xoanon because:

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

honestly I have never looked at a post started to say "Believe in God" or "You're going to hell if you don't believe in god"

very clever semantics

however the rest of us have example one

i could continue but the ATS search Fn will supply further examples

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Yup cant say Ive met anyone who likes the "You're going to hell" bit. This shouldn't bother an atheist though. Aside from the thought that oh snap, this person is literally wishing that I burn in some pit or something. Not the nicest of things to say to anyone really. Not to mention, it totally ignores that jesus died so no one would... let me hear it? Thats right. Go to hell.

Contradictions are good stuff folks. Know why? They encourage thought.

Alright, good stuff, party on garth.

Next, I seem to recall lots of talk about shepards, flocks and herds...

Usually when a shepard loses a goat, he doesn't say oh well, I have 99 more.
He leaves his gathering of goats and goes and finds the one goat who has wandered off. And when he finds that goat, he doesnt kill the goat. He brings the goat back fully knowing that the goat wandered off.
Why? Because Its still his goat!
Oh and, right? Goats are awesome.

Thats your fellow human over there.

Believers, you know, you can listen to atheists. That doesnt mean deny gods existence. It means listen. they have found problems in the faith. They have found questions that you dont have sensible answers to and in some cases, no answers to. Isn't your job and theirs in that case to find out why? Not to argue, not to be upset or disgusted, simply find out why? This is the fundamental quest for knowledge every human has. This is the very reason jesus had apostles. AHA! They all also wanted answers. The why, the how, the what, the when, the where. Hmm? the stuff that makes absolutely no sense at all. The truth?

Truth is a good thing. It unites people. Why do you think we're all divided? Believers and non believers... please let me know when you all find out just exactly what the truth is. I'd like to know myself.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog

News flash Jiggerj, Conspiracy "Theories" dont require a lot of evidence, otherwise they wouldnt be theories.
Quit trying to dictate thread/posting protocol on a conspiracy site.
edit on 12/9/2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

So, Jugger, you APPROVE of deliberate lies and disinformation? Conspiracies don't need any evidence at all, but they do have to be based on logical assumptions. Anything less than this is a deliberate hoax.

There was a documentary (Bloodline) on how Jesus and Mary moved to France after he was crucified, but didn't die. Mary Magdeline's burial place was discovered there. It proved to be a total hoax; a hoax that will be believed possibly for thousands of years, making fools out of all those that didn't get the message that it was a hoax. And, you're fine with this? Personally, I think the people responsible for such lies should go to prison.

All it takes is for one BS story to be accepted as truth and it sends mankind down a blind alley for thousands of years. Just look at what religion has done to us.
edit on 12/9/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I guess I don't get some of the angst toward Christians specifically. I have seen people change their lives by becoming Christians. Going from living lives of hate and violence to love and acceptance. People who were slaves to their addictions to cleaning up their lives.
Why is forgivness and love stupid, moronic, or ignorant? People think that a belief in Christ is about convert or burn. No. Its about developing a personal relationship with the divine. I've been to many churches in my life, and NEVER have I had a Christian approach me saying, "If you don't repent...your going to hell." Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are people out there like that. But, that has not been my experience. One has to ask what is really in that person's heart when they say such a thing. Yes, I am a Christian. I will say, my pastor and church do not condem people. All are welcome at the church.

I don't get upset when people say I'm foolish for believeing in Jesus. I look at it like this, it is my personal journey to God and not anyone elses. I have no problem with witnessing how God has effected my life. I answer questions to the best of my ability. Real Christianity is to teach through love and kindness, not hate and begotry. The goal is to be Christ like, not a judge to unbelievers. Salvation is a gift to be received and not shoved down someone's throat. I will also say that any pastor who does not preach from love and patience is not a representative of Christ.

It's one thing to ask someone why they believe, that's cool, but it's another to be hateful and disrespectful.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Charmeine

thank you for being civil regardless of your opinion and that goes for all the other thoughtul posts on her regardless of their opinion...I'm not looking for an argument and wont respond to one...just looking for a thoughtful follow up to my rant....nothing more folks

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

So, Jugger, you APPROVE of deliberate lies and disinformation?

No, not deliberate lies at all... Ive seen some totally wacked out, completely ridiculous threads on this site (Im sure you have too) but I just ignore them.
However, there are some theories that have a bit of legitimacy to them, like the moon landing.
Yea, i do believe we went to the moon but I dont believe the (first) one was real, I think it was faked so we could
show Americans that we beat Russia there.
I also believe something (out of this world) crashed at Roswell. How could several officers mistake a "disk" for a crashed weather balloon?
I also believe that there was another shooter involved in the JFK assassination, he was clearly hit from the front right in the zapruder film.
So.. should I go to prison for expressing those opinions also?

Oh, and I also believe that religious zealots have set us back many years.
How long did the Dark Ages last, 400 years..? just think where we would be if those idiots hadnt of held us back.
edit on 12/9/2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

I have a love-hate relationship with threads here...there are very few that are carried in a respectful manner but certain people come into the mix and things go south very quickly...like that other thread 69 pages of rubbish!

People are quick to shove their beliefs down everyone else's throats. I myself like to keep an open mind and listen to all possibilities. More people need to learn this too.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by NiNjABackflip

I think they do come to the conclusion around characters such as Santa and the Easter Bunny...kids figure it out as they get older naturally...and then at that point they start getting gift cards and cash for Christmas

I get your point but it's a hard thing to put on an adult or young adult who believes in their heart that there something much bigger than themeselves...I question faith a lot and look at the other religions that developed possibly before we were all connected and wonder why? To set up boundaries or rules to follow? It's an interesting thought that certain cultures come up with their own god or gods when in fact maybe their is a common link between them? I do understand people getting when politics are involved in religion but unfortunately this is just another form of pandering to one demographic which is a tactic that stinks but both sides use it...

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I have found the fast way to face scorn or ridicule on any sufficiently large enough group is to stand up and announce that you are a Christian.

As you say stand up and announce you believe there is an ancient reptilian alien conspiracy and its all ok here on ats.

Thankfully as a Christian myself I know that this will always be the case, it's not my job to fight the mockers who scorn Christians.

It's my job to follow Christ example and take heart that these things must happen as my faith tells me they will, and to look up for my redemption draws near one way or another..

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
If I were to say that I worship Satan, and that I slaughter my own goats and use their blood to perform rituals while naked beneath a full moon and surrounded by virgins ready to be ravished in the name of the great and glorious Baal, how many Christians here would bash me for it?

Thought so.

P.S. Just in case anyone takes me seriously, I don't do any of that. But dancing naked with a virgin beneath a full moon does sound fun...

edit on 9-12-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

Sweet, I thought I was the only one doing those things

Ahh.. ok forget to read your P.S.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by chrismarco
I find it amazing that some many on here believe in big foot, aliens, demons and ghosts but if someone who's a christian is a moron in many of your eyes. People on here quote prophecy or take excerpts from other cultures and consider that to be factual but yet someone who believes in Christianity. I seldom see and I'm stretching it because honestly I have never looked at a post started to say "Believe in God" or "You're going to hell if you don't believe in god" but yet there is a ton of bashing on here around religion. Many of you believe that because one believes in god this makes this person impenetrable from sin and should that person sin, it's the aha moment that religion is somehow a joke.

DUDE

turning this in to a NINTH GRADE teacher will have your language skills, and LOGIC skills called into question..

if youre going to drink like I DO before you post at least grow a HUNTER S THOMPSON sized pair before you galavant off of the front porch.

if i TRIED to imagine a post that would make YOUR PEOPLE look dumb, i couldnt have chosen a better example.

sterilize yourself

at least stay off of my half of the bacardi

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
serious quotation fail

PLUS I WANTED TO SOUND COOL

(deep sigh)

to the OP

my failures at drunken quatation DO NOT save you from the douchebag future you have earned

peace

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   

I found your post somewhat difficult to read, though I understood your meaning. I think some of the more 'Exotic' religions tend to draw adherents simply because of their foreign nature.
Ego plays a big part I believe, in a world of 'mean sameness', (averageness) one tries to present themselves as 'Enlightened' or special' or wish to distance them from the 'herd'. Self absorbed, narcissistic, or bored of the common place. They self elevate themselves, though, with no real substance, through their surroundings, dress or Mystic appearing veneer or verbiage. When everything is ultimately examined, they are no different than a thousand others seeking to elevate themselves above those they disdain or hold as subordinates or lowly uneducated unwashed masses.

edit on 10-12-2012 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by chrismarco
I find it amazing that some many on here believe in big foot, aliens, demons and ghosts but if someone who's a christian is a moron in many of your eyes. People on here quote prophecy or take excerpts from other cultures and consider that to be factual but yet someone who believes in Christianity. I seldom see and I'm stretching it because honestly I have never looked at a post started to say "Believe in God" or "You're going to hell if you don't believe in god" but yet there is a ton of bashing on here around religion. Many of you believe that because one believes in god this makes this person impenetrable from sin and should that person sin, it's the aha moment that religion is somehow a joke.

I guess I'm thinking that because one believes in God, god will shield that believer from all sins and keep him safe? It simly does not work that way and life does not work that way...I'm taught a math lesson at school and for whatever reason I can't figure it out,,,it's not math in general that has failed, it is I as a person who have. Keep that in mind when judging someone.

I like the idea of having a moral compass for myself and I acquired this through religion in my earlier years growing up. Have not been to church since probably the last funeral or wedding I attended but me personally I don't think it was gods wish to make churches to have a chat or make a connection. Just as the government that was founded in most cases was not suppose to get to the point it is at today.

People manipulate things for power and presige...that's just the way it goes, you can be a priest, a policeman or a teacher and as we have seen they have been used for both good and evil.

If we are to be so enlightened on here must we continually make personal attacks against ones belief? There are so many things that we could put to that is systemic to a degree to a culture but that would not be fair to stereotype any particular person. I believe the same courtesy should be given to people of faith.

I guess if it makes you feel superior that you can pick out faults of people because they believe in something than have at it but what are you really accomplishing? Land of the free huh?

Quit whining.

The christians aren't being "bashed" or "picked on". There is no "war on christmas".

So many of you complain about how the christians are "stereotyped as stupid"...but look at the vast numbers of them that ARE stupid! And no...before the whining starts...that DOESN'T MEAN ALL CHRISTIANS ARE...just lots of them.

There is a very large, very organized demographic of our population that honestly Creationism is a "competing theory" with Evolution. The ONLY WAY IT'S POSSIBLE to believe that these two ideas are "competing theories" is not understand the definition of the word "theory" in a scientific context along with not understanding that in order for two ideas to "compete" they MUST FIRST MAKE THE SAME ASSUMPTIONS ABOUT THE WORLD AROUND THEM.

Thus, a COMPETING theory to Darwinian Evolution is that humans evolved from giraffes instead of apes. Granted...it's a REALLY BAD competing theory...but it's making the same general assumptions that there must be some sort of scientific explanation.

Likewise, a COMPETING theory to the Judeo-Christian Creation Story is the Ancient Greek Creation story where Gaea and Uranus gave birth to three Cyclopes, three Hecatoncheires, and twelve Titans because they BOTH rely on the oral traditions of stone age people which were much later finally committed to writing, they both make the assumption that supernatural and magical beings exist, and they both require the "believers" to NOT ask any questions and just take the story at face value on "faith".

Pointing things like this out isn't "hate"...it's just indisputable reality. Believe whatever you want to believe. I don't profess "hate" for any one's religious beliefs...but take some responsibility. If you were to just walk down the street and start yelling about how talking snakes are telling you to do things, you have a buddy who lives inside the stomach of a fish, and that your brother is going to knock down The Great Wall of China with a magical trumpet...people would assume you are either off of your psychiatric medication, on '___', or have escaped from the asylum.

Say those same things with a straight face in a church and all of a sudden people are upset that they aren't taken seriously. At least with UFO's, Nessie, and Bigfoot we have a little bit of rather sketchy photographs and whatnot. The "god" that once allegedly parted the Red Sea has managed to do little more except for show up on toast, water stained walls, and Rohrschach tests for the last several hundred years.

Grow up....and QUIT THE INCESSANT WHINING ALREADY. Go to the mall and look at Xmas slathered crap and tell me again how "picked on" the poor Christians are.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Nephalim

Believers, you know, you can listen to atheists. That doesnt mean deny gods existence. It means listen. they have found problems in the faith. They have found questions that you dont have sensible answers to and in some cases, no answers to. Isn't your job and theirs in that case to find out why? Not to argue, not to be upset or disgusted, simply find out why? This is the fundamental quest for knowledge every human has. This is the very reason jesus had apostles. AHA! They all also wanted answers. The why, the how, the what, the when, the where. Hmm? the stuff that makes absolutely no sense at all. The truth?

Truth is a good thing. It unites people. Why do you think we're all divided? Believers and non believers... please let me know when you all find out just exactly what the truth is. I'd like to know myself.

This ^^^
Is
Brilliant.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join