It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sir Patrick Moore dies at 89

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Sir Patrick Moore dies at 89

www.bbc.co.uk

He "passed away peacefully at 12:25 BST this afternoon" at his home in Selsey, West Sussex, they said in a statement.

Sir Patrick presented the BBC programme The Sky At Night for over 40 years, making him the longest-running host of the same television show ever.

He wrote dozens of books on astronomy and his research was used by the US and the Russians in their space programmes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
This has upset me quite a bit, this man was a rare one. I wish I could have met him at some point, he seemed like the type of person that makes the world a brilliant place.

Rest in peace Sir Patrick Moore, you are a legend. You inspired many people, and during my teens you were amazing as the Gamesmaster and you'll be greatly missed by me and many others.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Journey well Patrick , you will be missed

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Terric
Rest in peace Sir Patrick Moore, you are a legend.

Indeed. A great loss.

I was always incredibly jealous of my postman who was also an amateur astronomer; he used to have tea with Moore and Brian May!

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
What a character.. He will be missed.. RIP Sir Patrick Moore...x

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
longest running series of any TV program in the world, RIP good man.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Nooo!!!!

I love this guy
Just told my Mum and she cried.
RIP dude I will let you play us out

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Should be more shows like his Educational/Scientific programs on TV instead of the crap we get. I'm gonna miss him, what role model!

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Sir Patrick Moore will always be an inspiration for myself and 1000's of other people who have looked up to the heavens to see the Moon and stars over all of my life time, and watching him on TVs The Sky At Night program, well things will never be the same for me.

Patrick, you are one heck of a star up there and you will always be.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I always remember his interview with Neil Armstrong, it was so illuminating about the Moon and space. R.I.P. Patrick.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Terric

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I hear about celebrity deaths all the time but this one I am actually really saddened to hear. It was very rare I caught 'The sky at night' because it was usually on so late but when I did, I always enjoyed it. I've always had admiration for Patrick Moore, ever since I saw him on 'Games Master'(anyone else remember that?). It was from there I realised he was actually an astronomer and had a great presence about him.

R.I.P Patrick, you will definitely be missed.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
He was also a World War II veteran. He joined the armed forces at the age of 16 at the outbreak of the War by lying about his age. He served in RAF Bomber Command, reaching the rank of Flight Lieutentant. He lost his nurse fiancee during the War when a bomb hit her ambulance. He never married as it was only her who he loved and he never forgave the Germans over her death. He said in his autobiography that "if I saw the entire German nation sinking into the sea, I could be relied upon to help push it down."

He also, of course, hosted the monthly The Sky at Night since it first started in April 1957. Until today it was the world's longest-running TV show with the same presenter.

Just a few days ago I watched this month's edition of The Sky at Night and it's not nice to think that that was his very last episode.

From 1992 to 1998 he hosted the British TV gameshow GamesMaster - he was the Gamesmaster - which was the first British TV show dedicated to computer and video games. As well as video game reviews, the show featured contestants who competed against each other on video games, with the winner being given the coveted Golden Joystick trophy.

Not only that but he was also very much against Britain being in the EU and was a patron of UKIP. He campaigned on behalf of Douglas Denny (UKIP) for the Chichester constituency in the 2001 General Election. In the late Seventies until 1980 he was chairman of the anti-immigration United Country Party.

He will be very much missed.
edit on 9-12-2012 by Sicksicksick because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Sicksicksick

Thanks for the additional info.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Have always loved The Sky At Night and it was criminal how short the show was and how late it was on... and also loved him as The GamesMaster

Also saw his house in Selsey and actually saw him walking around there too.

The guy was legendary and his enthusiasm just so infectious.

They just said on the news that his early maps of the Moon helped the Americans plan their moon landing.

new topics

top topics

join