It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China to build worlds most advanced Solar Telescope

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Well at least there's always the chinese to rely on if the Hubble telescope is abandoned:

www.china.org.cn...

"China plans to launch the world's largest and most advanced space solar telescope (SST) into orbit circling the earth in 2008, the State's leading astronomer said on Friday.

Via this telescope, said Ai Guoxiang, who heads the National Astronomical Observatories, Chinese scientists will be able to engage in the study of one of the most difficult global scientific enigmas, or research on solar physical frontiers."

[edit on 23-10-2004 by Lucretius]

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Cool, thats good news, I can never get enough of those pics of galaxies and distant stars, and all the other amazing discoveries that these things dig up.

Heres a few of whats to come.

Square Kilometre Array

Space Infrared Interferometric Telescope

James Webb Space Telescope

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Yea, that is good news, i wonder whether its good enough to spot earth sized planets on other stars, i doubt it though

E_T

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by picard_is_actually_a_grey
Yea, that is good news, i wonder whether its good enough to spot earth sized planets on other stars, i doubt it though

This one won't find any planets...

Like its name says, its meant for observing sun only.

The SST will be used to study the solar magnetic field, fine structures of the sun surface, the energy accumulation and release of solar flares and sun-earth interaction, Ai said.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   
it's good to see a more universal approach to space exploration and understanding though

Telescopes and space stations are simply too expensive for any one nation to contribute... but with rising Asian powers along with the European space agency it takes eases the preasure as resources are shared and contributed widely.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   
its nice to see someone alse than the west making a new telescoop maybe this will lead to a new competision between the east and the west but not like the cold war but far more friendly

It might just give the space race new life.....

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Sean o'Keefe is the one who is deciding whether to screw Hubble or keep it alive. Already most of the gyroscopes have failed, and the batteries lost a majority of their capacity, so it is on the brink of only being able to function when the solar panals are facing the sun.

We aren't going to have another one until 2011, so why don't we fix what we have now and get the most out of it? If he's going to retire Hubble, he should at least bring it down in the shuttle (I don't care if it's grounded; they're just being paranoid!) over a few trips so we can reassemble it inside a museum, like the JFK Space Center (I think that's the name).

Sean o'Keefe at first, said that Hubble was a nuissance (sp?) and wanted it down immediately to save money. Doesn't NASA get less money, if they have less needs? If so, how would that save money, o'Keefe?

Anyway, after letters poured in and people protested his decision, he agreed to review the safety hazards of servicing Hubble before making a final decision.

Though have we ever had a problem reservicing (sp?) Hubble? Not to my knowledge, no.

I also believe that the destruction of Columbia was not an accident caused by a loose heat tile, but had something to do with the govornment and them knowing to much information about something. Perhaps it was encounter with aliens? I've read somewhere on ATS before about aliens that live on the moon, I'll try to find it and post a link.

And grounding the shuttle fleet due to safety concerns? Can't be, nobody's that paranoid. Any info on NASA cover-ups? I'd like to hear from you.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
There building a robot that can do all the needed repairs on the Hubble without sending up any humans.

dsc.discovery.com...

A Canadian robot called Dextre is NASA's pick. The same people that are building the arm for the space station.

www.astronomy.com...

[edit on 23-10-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   

diehard_democrat
I also believe that the destruction of Columbia was not an accident caused by a loose heat tile, but had something to do with the govornment and them knowing to much information about something. Perhaps it was encounter with aliens? I've read somewhere on ATS before about aliens that live on the moon, I'll try to find it and post a link.

That all rediculous.
There is a lot wrong with what you think.
Nasa is on a tight timeline for building the ISS, so why would they or anyone else, want them to have 3 shuttles (instead of the previous 4) to build it.
It wasn't a loose tile that took it out, it was a hole in the leading edge of the wing. A piece of foam that broke off of the external tank came down and struck it.
I dont think they were visited by Aliens while on the shuttle, and what would this have to to with the alien moon bases? I dont think there are any bases on the moon, but even if there is they weren't even close to moon, so its not like the pissed off any aliens.

diehard_democrat
And grounding the shuttle fleet due to safety concerns? Can't be, nobody's that paranoid. Any info on NASA cover-ups? I'd like to hear from you.

They didn't postpone all shuttle launches because of paranoia, they did it for safety reasons. There currently fixing several problems with it now.
When the Challenger shuttle blew up they stop launches for 2 years, so this time around it will take around 2 1/2 years because the investigation into the problem was harder to find. But there also diong other upgrades on the side, because now they have a nice long break and money to fix or add-on long awaited items.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I will agree that the last shuttle disaster happened as disclosed and that aliens were not invloved. I do not know any astronauts nor am I involved in anyway with NASA's space program, but I would tend to think that they have a clearence and such a sensitive issue would be a non-issue.

top topics

join