It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Its OK to ride a Harley without a helmet but not a crotch rocket!"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I frequently ride to local bars in the summer time on my motorcycle without a helmet. Sorry, I like the wind in my hair. I'm talking about like a mile or two. I wear a helmet any time I leave town. I ride a 95 Suzuki Katana 600. Its for sale by the way!

Soo, I'm leaving the local bar a while back, at 2am, and this girl is telling me about how crazy I am to not wear a helmet because I ride a "crotch rocket". Blablabla. But very quickly says its ok on a Harley. WHAT? Oh yeah, funny thing here...most Harleys can go as fast as my Katana can. It's not a super sport bike. It's not a Hayabusa. Oh yeah, and how fast did I go on the way home? 35. lmao. I can go that fast on a bicycle. Of course...I could get a motorcycle for the price of a decent bicycle. :/

I just.....ugh.

So, what kind of stupid motorcycle BS have you guys heard?

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Sorry dude what is a crotch rocket?

Oh and I wish I could get a motorcycle (I watch sons of anarchy ) but here in the UK the roads are too scary.
What Bike do you own? I mean post a pic of your Harley

I had a vesper scooter in holland when I lived there got it for £50 and it could go 29kph
the dutch harley dudes I hung about with loved me
and I became their mascott

edit on 8-12-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

He is talking about sport bikes:

mtperformance.net...

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Ah right I get it now

Cheers.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Ill post a pic in a couple hours. But crotch rockets? Theyre the pseudo race bikes where you sit all squished up with your feet behind you. In a similar position to a jockey on a race horse....whereas on a harley, aka a cruiser, you sit like a cowboy on a horse, with yoyr feet in front of you.
Most crotch rockets in the states are japanese imports, but europe sure has some nice ones. I know a guy that rides a motoguzzi
your roads cant be that bad. Anyway ive been riding motorcycles since i could ride a bicycle.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by boymonkey74

He is talking about sport bikes:

mtperformance.net...

But the funniest part of this is the katana is a sport bike like a civic is a sports car lol

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

Here in Oz some states are thinking of mandating dayglo/reflective clothing.. 5 pieces.. Pants, Jacket, Boots, Gloves and Helmet. I emailed them to say they will make me an outlaw rider because I will never wear that shyte.

I figure my bike is brightly painted, has tons of chrome that sparkles very brightly, and we have been forced by law to ride with headlights on since the 90's or so... in my mind I am seen, and heard. I know, coz everyone who cuts me off is looking at the bike.

Back in the 70's in South Australia you were allowed to ride without a helmet up to 30mph.. and I took advantage of that in Summer.. a Lot!

Nanny States.. I despise it and everyone thinks I'm nuts when I speak about it.

Anyway... feel a bit sorry for the "only on a Harley" types. No good to you if it's sitting broken down in the shed is it ?.. or the brakes are garbage... (insert your own additions here). I ride a Japarharley these days.. best bike I ever owned. As reliable as a Toyota every day, looks like something from the 40's... oh.. and only a fifth the price of the comparative Harley.

Oops.. sorry to rant a bit.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I am a libertarian, so I believe that you should ride your bike without a helmet if you choose.

I also believe that no one else should be forced to pay your medical bills.

Why is there a law that requires me to wear a seatbelt? (I know the answer, it ties into my 2nd sentence)
If I must wear a seatbelt in order to be safe, how can it be legal for anyone to ride a motorcycle at all?
edit on 8-12-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
I am a libertarian, so I believe that you should ride your bike without a helmet if you choose.

I also believe that no one else should be forced to pay your medical bills.

Why is there a law that requires me to wear a seatbelt? (I know the answer, it ties into my 2nd sentence)
If I must wear a seatbelt in order to be safe, how can it be legal for anyone to ride a motorcycle at all?
edit on 8-12-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

I completely agree with you, including the medical bills. Hospitals also shouldnt cost what they do, but thats another rant.

Ive also driven/ridden over 300,000 miles without an accident. And life isnt worth living without a little risk. That said, i wear a helmet on the highway. Full face even. Just the thought of a rock popping me in the mouth from a semi is enough to make me wear one. Atleast on the back roads and in the city i can mostly avoid that....

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

My bike is brightass orange. I also have white underglo on it....which is illegal. But from the look on cops faces when they see it, i think they approve. If you cant see it your blind.

But mandating certain colors?thats stupid

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
As my name shows I ride a sport tourer (Kawasaki Concours1400). A Harley Rider can get killed just as easily as any squid on a crotch rocket. Here in Michigan earlier this year they passed a law saying we could ride without our helmets. I'm glad they did this because I feel in this "FREE" country they should simply stay the hell out of my business. Now I'm a AGATT (all gear all the time)kind of guy so I'm rarely seen without my helmet. I will take a ride around the block in my neighborhood to listen to the engine, brakes, trans etc etc etc, it's part of my weekly safety inspection. Imagine getting a $100 ticket for riding around the block. There are things you can hear with your helmet off that you can't with it on. Now to the original poster, I'm not preaching but you can easily get killed at 35mph so don't think it can't happen. I know you know the risk you're taking but don't be naive.
Here's a few of my favorite pics.
Hooters Denver Colorado

Hooters Troy Mi.

Hooters Traverse City Mi

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Nice bike. Especially with the babes. I live in michigan too. How can you be an agatt guy if you take a ride around the block without it? Dont you know the most likely place to get in an accident is your neighborhood? Anyhow i know my risks and im fine with it. I also drive a car without a roof. How come seatbelts are required but not roofs? Anyway im just dumbfounded that someone thinks a harley wont kill you. Of course you dont even have to be moving to die on a bike.

What gear do you wear?
edit on 8-12-2012 by phroziac because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   

You can chalk it up to the street racing morons ruining the reputations of all rice-rocket riders everywhere. Same goes for "tuner" car fans who modify their vehicles. Even if they have no performance modifications to the engine of the vehicle itself (ie. only cosmetic alterations), I've seen cops treat some reasonably responsible drivers that may have made a minor traffic violation like street-racing thugs simply because they happened to be driving a modified Honda or the like. I mean, my brother (drives an '03 Civic Type R) was given a ticket for 500 CAD simply for having a burnt-out taillight recently, which I'm sure he has good chances of defeating if he contests it, but that doesn't give cops the excuse to generalize people by how they look or what kind of vehicle they drive/ride Just goes to show how it only takes a few idiots to ruin it for the rest of us.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
It costs 500 dollars to have a burnt out tail light? Wtf?

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

I think it's just a case of so many idiots liking to pretend they are "racing" on their crotch rockets that people assume everybody on one operates like that. I try to get past those sort of misconceptions, but I have to admit I've seen more idiots on them than responsible riders. The lady was probably just concerned.

One of the craziest things I've ever seen done on a crotch rocket: A guy flies down my extremely bumpy road on one traveling way above the speed limit holding the handlebar with one hand and texting with the other, looking down at his phone- wearing a full dark tinted face shield. Talk about dangerous!

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Me and my Harley...

...and yes...no helmet!

most Harleys can go as fast as my Katana can.

Very true...this 1200 with a cam and new jets flys at 130 mph with some more to go!
edit on 8-12-2012 by jerryznv because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by chefc14

That last one is smoking hot!!!

The bike is nice too!

I don't see a helmet anywhere in sight!

Anywhere outside of town...I'm in a helmet!

I mean why not? Wearing one only improves my chances of living in an accident!
edit on 8-12-2012 by jerryznv because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

One night I was headed to a party (rural area) when I came upon a bike pulled over along the road. I knew the guy and I stopped to see if he needed help. His female cousin was with him and as soon as I got out of my truck, she started screaming, " give me a ride to town! He doesn't even have a headlight!" She got in the truck with me and he started his bike and took off, laughing as he did. I tried to keep up with him, but he could handle the turns a bit faster than I could in my pickup. This happened at 10 pm, with no moon. The last I saw of him blasting away, he had one hand on the throttle, the other was tipping back a beer.

He was a true wild man.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Must be "crotch rocket" mentality. Those people must really like living on the edge!
I wouldn't even ride a bicycle with a beer. I'm just not that "dangerous"!

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I wear Tourmaster all season pants, jacket and boots. I like the waterproof stuff. I stopped wearing leather when I bought this bike. I prefer the stuff that breathes and doesn't weigh 60lbs. My trips around the block are my only AGATT-less moments. I know bad things can happen but I need to do my safety sound inspection at least once a week.
The helmet is stored in my saddle bag. One bag carries tools and the other I use for storage.
I have to admit I'm guilty of driving at high speeds on occasion. I've never gone over 150 though. I did that once on the interstate because I wanted to see how fast I could get my bike to go. It had more but I backed off. I don't do any stunting though and I refuse to put others at risk. I don't mind putting myself at risk, thats my choice. But if get on an open road and no one is around I cut loose. Sometimes I just have to play.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join