It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police drone crashes into police SWAT team

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Police drone crashes into police SWAT team

www.salon.com

The Montgomery County sheriff’s office in Texas had planned a big photo opportunity with their newly acquired surveillance drone. It all went horrible wrong when, according to the Examiner, “[The] prototype drone was flying about 18 feet off the ground [and] it lost contact with the controller’s console on the ground. It’s designed to go into an auto shutdown mode … but when it was coming down, the drone crashed into the SWAT team’s armored vehicle.” (The SWAT team had suited up, armored vehicle on hand, for the purpose of the photo.)
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Act of divine providence? Wrath of God on law enforcement gone too far? I'd sure like to think so. Certainly this should be a wake up call to both the public as well as law enforcement. There are safety issues despite all the assurances the msm blithely repeats from the government and corporate sources. It's not as if the privacy issues alone are not important enough to deter the deployment of 30,000 drones over US skies this proves the safety factor is another important issue.
No drones over America!

www.salon.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story mistakenly stated the drone crash happened this week. The incident took place a number of months ago, but remains an important reminder of safety issues pertaining to domestic drones

Late breaking news then I suppose, No wonder they wanted to cover up this awesome blunder!
edit on 8-12-2012 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Where's the video? I want a laugh

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
One word...

Sweet!

Peace

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Epic Fail ......

Things happen in mysterious ways.....

Well, that's $300,000 down the drain.
Guess some one will be doing desk duty for the next 6 years !!!!

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

Apparently the police department doesn't think the public deserves to know how they just wasted $300,000 of their money.
But they might cop 100 grand back if they won America's Funniest Videos.

Peace on Earth
Ill will towards drones.
I got an early Christmas present!
edit on 8-12-2012 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Effin drones should be scrapped. They've caused this country nothing but trouble.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
This is old news. It's not the OP's fault because even his or her source article had a current date on it! It happened last March 2012.

The incident particularly irked me because Montgomery County didn't have the funds they needed in the 2011 wildfire that got out of control in their area because of their negligence ... so they begged off emergency State and Federal resources for the fire support services. Then, the money they got from those sources was funneled into a toy UAV for the (ahem, not always so reputable) policing force. Essentially, it was an overpriced webcam in the air.

Here's a picture of their over-priced "toy". www.unmannedvehicles.co.uk...

edit on 8/12/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Taser Drones above Texas Sky - UNN Newsroom with Alex Ansary

* The ShadowHawk® is substantially safer than a full sized helicopter since a UAS can easily auto rotate to the ground in a controlled landing even with a complete failure of the main engine. Although full size helicopters may be able to perform this function with a highly skilled pilot, it often results in significant damage to the aircraft as well as injury to the pilot.

* ShadowHawks® can fly safely at low altitudes to provide a variety of inspection functions such as; pipelines, IEDs, railways, etc.

vanguarddefense.com...

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Wrath of God, really. Anyway that's funny yet should be taken seriously, we can't have things like this happen, not mention similar events.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065
Its a shame.............
that no one was grievously injured

Yeah, that's funny...

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam
This is old news. It's not the OP's fault because even his or her source article had a current date on it! It happened last March 2012.

So, that would be this thread here then...

Drone crashes into SWAT team tank during police test near Houston
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Correct - the same story.

Montgomery County is NW to N of Houston. It was their playtoy.

The Swat car wasn't hurt if I remember correctly. Paint scratches = "not hurt"

edit on 8/12/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I am somewhat suprised that the US government havent found a way to make this the fault of some unfortunate Afghan person. "Uh no, it wasnt a technical fault! Terrorists hacked it! Terrorists I tells ya!".

On a more serious note, the best thing about this story is that the incident caused some damage to a heavy law enforcement vehicle, probably mauled the drone itself, and therefore took some money out of the budget of the police force who were using the drone.

In my veiw, this is perhaps the best thing that could have happened to this eye in the sky. These things offer no protection to the privacy of innocent people, and it will not matter one iota how much crime these things can assist with the solving of, if innocent people have to pay the price of being observed by these things.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Allow me to apologize ahead of time you being a mod and all for the following one line response.

Buwahahahahahahaha...

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
This one is really old, from the source:

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story mistakenly stated the drone crash happened this week. The incident took place a number of months ago, but remains an important reminder of safety issues pertaining to domestic drones.

Please add further comments to the ongoing thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

We have a new search feature. Please use it.

*thread closed.
edit on 8-12-2012 by boncho because: Always wanted to do that...

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Ooohhh Texas, Texas, Texas. I shake my head at you. Not only do the cops pick on random people but they can't even properly test their scary drones lol. I think they should make the drones like like humans for extra creepiness.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Ahahaha.Anybody remember the inept secret police in Woody Allen's"Sleeper"who keep blowing themselves up?Thanks Asktheanimals for the chuckle.Yes of course its more than privacy.Just wait till one of these damn things kills someone.Personally I think they'd be great target practice

edit on 8-12-2012 by AgentX09 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join