It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Engineering - Response to bullying in America

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Tonight my kids and I saw a commercial on some cable channel that was providing "advice" on how to deal with bullies. The message of the commercial was "Be calm. Walk away." My elementary school age children and I talked about the commercial. They indicated it was the same message that all the teachers and principal say to them all the time.

Let's think about this message, folks.... These children are our future. They will be the ones running our country in the next 10 - 30 years.

"Be calm. Walk away." "Do nothing and tell a teacher."

What do you think America's enemies would do if we responded to "bullying" as a country in that manner? How would the Taliban or al qaeda have responded if, after 9/11, we had simply just "stayed calm and walked away"?

Not so long ago...the message was a lot different. Which would you rather have watching over your freedom?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Sadly that bit of social engineering is already implanted and is the fault of those of us who are adults today, and who were adults over the past 10-15 years. We got caught up in Columbine fever and accepted the idea of "zero tolerance" policies. We did this enthusiastically and selfishly - partly in the name of protection. But, I believe, also partly because we didn't want to be hassled with having to deal with our kids schools when fights occurred.

So we danced with the Devil. Now it's time to pay.

Today if your kid is beat up by a bully and dares to simply defend him or herself at all? Zero tolerance. It takes two to tango - and both kids will not just get in trouble. They may well both face expulsion. Two years ago I spent a day "testifying" on behalf of a friends son, at a school expulsion hearing, exactly for this reason. He got hit by another kid, and he punched back.

For this he spent the next three years in "alternative school". - College hopes dashed, future destroyed. All over a single punch and a "zero tolerance" mindset.

This ship has already sailed.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by CIAGypsy

What do you think America's enemies would do if we responded to "bullying" as a country in that manner? How would the Taliban or al qaeda have responded if, after 9/11, we had simply just "stayed calm and walked away"?

I wish we would have stayed calm and walked away. Instead we invaded a Afghanistan and accomplished absolutely nothing. We did fatten all the military contractors, Halliburton, and bankers pockets though.

Now the Afghanistan troops are turning on the soldiers and shooting them.

What a horrible example you chose. You're socially engineered one.

Children Targeted by Bombs, U.S. Military Approves

edit on 7-12-2012 by ShotGunRum because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Heff,

Oh, you are more than right on with this point. My kids' school has the same policy. Their dad and I have adamantly told them that if they are being physically attacked by ANYONE, then they had better defend themselves regardless of anything anyone else says. My kids know that we would take their right to self-defense all the way to the Supreme Court if it was ever necessary.

Talking about schools losing their common sense (and a bit off topic...), I was close to a case where some teenagers were on Facebook discussing a Japanese television show. The episode was about a Columbine-type incident that occurred in a high school. One of the kids in the discussion made the comment in regards to the episode - "screw shooting up the school, I'd go in there with some awesome ninja skills!"

This poor kid was charged with a FELONY. It didn't matter that he wasn't talking about HIS school. Or that he had no record (he was an honor roll student who had never even had detention). It didn't matter that he was talking about a fictional television show. All the court cared about was that he made a comment that could be insinuated as violence towards a school, even a fictional one, so he must be a dangerous individual.

Sad....

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Bullying happens I dont get all the hype over it. It is a good way to learn life lessons young. There are bullies outside of schools in the adult world. Those being bullied get the chance to learn how to deal with them. The ones who cant cope wont be able to cope with anything anyway and that will get them eventually. Those who learn to cope learn how to shield themselves emotionally as well as avoid the triggers that give the bully the impression of weakness. I've always thought it best to utilize passive aggressiveness when dealing with those types. Teach them that physical strength and emotional abuse are rather soft core with the multitude of payback options out there. Nothing down right cruel of course but consequential enough to make a person think twice about screwing with people.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
They are softening us up for the eventual take down.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
So you'd rather they do what? Fight? They are kids. I say the more they learn about self restraint the better. And to liken it to adult decisions based on rational thought and logic ( to a terrorist attack in your argument of all things) is well.... Devoid of rational thought and logic.
edit on 8-12-2012 by bknapple32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Children at school aren't nations at war.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

I've often said that I'm not entirely convinced that bullying is all bad. There are indeed life lessons there. I'm certainly glad that I learned early in life how to deal with bullies--and I guarantee that turning the other cheek is not the answer.

But that's not the life lesson that the schools now care about. The life lessons on the agenda now are all about being good "global citizens." You can find at least one of those in this very thread.

The UN and its many minions care very much about our kids being good "global citizens." To do that, the programming has to be thorough, and thus best done while the mind is young and pliable. Those who don't "go along to get along" have to be re-educated--thus the "alternative schools." Obviously they need to be bullied by the system to gain their compliance--you know, for their own good and the good of all....
edit on 12/8/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

I'd like to know what is the answer? any time someone makes fun of you, you make fun of them back until it escalates to a fight? Or just punch away? I certainly feel that sometimes standing up to bully is needed and it's a valuable life lesson. But I would think it's on rare occasion. I feel that a child who learned to ignore and not care about a bully has grown and learned much more then the kid who always has to respond and fight back.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32
reply to post by Ex_CT2

I'd like to know what is the answer? any time someone makes fun of you, you make fun of them back until it escalates to a fight? Or just punch away? I certainly feel that sometimes standing up to bully is needed and it's a valuable life lesson. But I would think it's on rare occasion. I feel that a child who learned to ignore and not care about a bully has grown and learned much more then the kid who always has to respond and fight back.

I think the best response to bullying is to show that we are all absolutely not impressed. They should be publicly shamed.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Seriously? Have you never watched the Andy Griffith show? How he taught Opie to stand up to bullies?

But I guess all that old-fashioned stuff has gone the way of the rights and sovereignty and self-determination of the individual. I guess I'm just not a very responsible global citizen....

edit on 12/8/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

You cite a tv show? I could quote about 15 tv shows that say the opposite. You can do better than that

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

No, I can't. You're right. You could cite many more things than I can, I'm sure of it. You've bullied me into turning the other cheek....

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2
reply to post by bknapple32

No, I can't. You're right. You could cite many more things than I can, I'm sure of it. You've bullied me into turning the other cheek....

Well then... Lesson learned

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Social engineering indeed!
Message: Don't defend yourself, that's the job of the state.

"wait, there's no middle finger emoticon?"
Samuel Colt and myself take severe umbrage at such a suggestion.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by CIAGypsy

Those bullies are a result of bad programming.

Hitting them isnt going to solve the problem... it only reinforces it. Dont you realize that bully you just stood up to just went and kicked the &*^% out of another kid because you fought back?

The goal is solving root cause... not giving the tea party freedom stiffys.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tearman
Children at school aren't nations at war.

You're right, but if you're the kid being bullied it's the most important thing in the world atm.
Didn't you ever get bullied as a kid?
I did and he made me smash my Peanuts lunchbox in to his head.
This after he nearly drowned me by pushing my face down in icy water.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
The problem I see is teaching children NOT to stand up for themselves.
Just like they want adults NOT to fight for what they believe in.
Good, complacent, apathetic citizens.
They don't want freedom fighters.

Teach children to stand up for themselves!
They can decide when it is important todo so...
If they get knocked down...tell them to stand up and brush their shoulders off!
If they get hurt, they'll learn that fighting hurts so only do it when necessary.
We can't be scared of children getting bruised or broken. It happens.
That's how I learned to deal with life.
I wasn't taught to run from my problems, thankfully.

Greatly called Social Engineering and proven to work.
After decades of this, children...now adults...will bend over backwards to the biggest bully.
The gov't.

Oh wait...this already happens today.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Its a difficult question. Walking away and telling the teacher simply has the effect of making the bullied kid get shunned by absolutely everyone. In the hierarchy of the playground nobody respects somebody that runs to teacher. School is like Prison in more ways than people like to acknowledge.

On top of that, even if they do, in most cases its one kids word against another and justice has little chance of prevailing.

Preventing kids from fighting back simply allows the bullying to continue into long running persecution. Some can take that and make it out the other end. Some cant, when they cant they either implode (teen suicide) or in countries were firearms are available explode (the revenge with automatic weapons route).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join