It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How did Gautama Buddha reach Enlightenment (Nirvana)?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
According to the scriptures Gotama Buddha reached enlightenment after 49 days below the pipal tree. Before him there had been endless Buddhas and after him will be endless Buddhas. Everybody can develop the Buddha nature and become a Buddha after a certain time. What do you think about enlightenmend? Is it attainable? Or will it be like in the scriptures where it has been said that there will be as many lifes as leaves on a tree till freedom found? Siddhis are mystical powers but Buddha said they shouldn't be seeked for, still people try to attain them. Ego trip? Mara was apparently no real Demon like many people want to believe, but the final stance of the ego in the own mind. What are your thoughts?

Enlightenment

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
The ego-self can't do it on its own. Non-ego forces of the 'Pleroma' or collective unconscious or whatever have to assist us at some point in the process. In the case of the Buddha, the non-ego was symbolized by, or projected onto, the Morning Star.

THE WORM'S WAKING

'This is how a human being can change:

there’s a worm addicted to eating
grape leaves.

Suddenly he wakes up,
call it grace, whatever, something
wakes him, and he’s no longer
a worm.

He’s the entire vineyard,
and the orchard too, the fruit, the trunks,
a growing wisdom and joy
that doesn’t need
to devour.'

-Rumi

edit on 7-12-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
After many years of study and discussions from several llamas, nuns and monks, it is possible to achieve enlightenment. But the one question still echos, as it takes many years of work and dedication, what does one do after achieving enlightenment?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

What more is there? What more can one ask for? when you reach that level and unlock the powers, become a preacher like the rest, become a teacher. If your soul intention of meditation and enlightening yourself is the powers and mystic abilities, it will be impossie to attain true enlightenment
edit on 7-12-2012 by Wolvo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TauNorthwolf

According to the scriptures

Yes lets play the telephone game.

If anyone says they are enlightened then they are lying.
Beware of people who claim this.

As I have said before on here.
Only fools rejoice in their own wisdom and sometimes the shallowest rivers make the most noise.

Its idiotic to think you KNOW something and start telling people what they should do......its stupid talk.
edit on 7-12-2012 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Great thread! When I was in my twenties I really got into meditation. I picked up a bunch of books on the Shao Lin methods of attaining enlightenment.

I practiced 2-3 times a day. While I was practicing meditation, my entire life felt calmer. Things that would feel overwhelming started to become easy. The books talked about while meditating one could catch 'cosmic glimpses', a way of getting a taste of full enlightenment.

I believe that I was able to attain a couple of these glimpses. I can not fully explain the sensation but it is like feeling at peace more than one can feel without meditation. The world 'feels' different. Very hard to put into words.

Over the years my life got busy and I neglected my meditation. As a result my life has been very hectic, I really need to start meditating again.

Even if one does not attain enlightenment they can still benefit tremendously from meditation.

Thanks again for the post! You have inspired me to pick up where I left off.
S & F!

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Its idiotic to think you KNOW something and start telling people what they should do......its stupid talk.

Strong words, had a bad day?

Buddha said don't believe blindly and try yourself first before accepting something, no?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

How did Gautama Buddha reach Enlightenment (Nirvana)?

He pretended he did; and everyone believed him. It's that easy.

edit on 7-12-2012 by NiNjABackflip because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

Buddha said don't believe blindly and try yourself first .

I am not mad,don't get me wrong....just don't believe blindly as per your own quote.(to the OP)

You do realize the dalia lama is a political and public figure right??
You do realize Mother Theresa was a public tool who hurt people more then she helped right?
You do realize the nuns are just more of the same thing....do what we tell you because i am holy right??

The so called "enlightened" people are far more unenlightened then you or I.

Even Ghandi was a political figure who let people die for his cause....who is really enlightened here when it comes to these figureheads???

I think everyone is lying...its human nature and nobody really knows a thing.

what does one do after achieving enlightenment?

You preach and pretend you know something,write a few books and hope you get rich and get many followers.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
the way i understand it,he was a boy who had a hissy fit,
ran away from his rich king dad
reached starvation under a tree
eat some funky mushrooms
had a tripped out,revelation full happy time

BINGO ENLIGHTENED

summin like that

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

just don't believe blindly as per your own quote.

Ah I think I got you, maybe then you prefer "It had been said that try yourself before believing blindly"? Feels better?

edit on 7-12-2012 by TauNorthwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

I try myself everyday and can agree with you on this.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

I dont think you understand the buddhist lifestyle, 'peace and enlightenment' peace being the main word, you wont find much in the i ching and in the way of life, giving power to another, basically its saying you are the power, you are the one. So so so much different to nuns and such forth.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolvo

I dont think you understand the buddhist lifestyle

No i don't and don't want to...I have my own lifestyle and don't need to live that,I can choose for myself.
Bhudda's life is his life...mine is mine.
I can think for myself,the point of my posts is to not let anyone tell you what to do or how to do it.

No I don't understand the Bhuddist thing because I can figure it out for myself while still caring about people but not letting people take power over me unless love allows it.
Much like religions and all this stuff.
The shallowest rivers make the deepest sounds.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Your very fond of that quote, you need a new come back short list, buddha isnt a god, he is a man. Buddha simply means enlightenend one, anyone can reach that level, love included. If your not even going to give the belief a single look in, then why bother comment? The i ching and so forth give advice, simple. You couldnt be any more wrong comparing it to a political figure and what not.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

You seem to be allergic towards "religious figureheads" etc, any story behind that apart from stating your autonomousness? You don't need to say, just wondering.

edit on 7-12-2012 by TauNorthwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

You seem to be allergic towards "religious figureheads"

Yes sir I am.
I am allergic to people who think they need to tell people how to live and what to do while saying they are better or enlightened.
It seems like common sense to me.

You are free to believe what you want.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

just don't tell me what to believe like all the rest.

Did I? This thread was intended for discussions not telling what to believe. Maybe you're getting the wrong idea & "offthreading"?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

No.
I am not talking about you,I am talking about the topic at hand.
How did Gautama Buddha reach Enlightenment??

To answer...i think he was just as full of poop as everyone who came before him claiming that he KNOWS.

Don't take it personally,you asked,i answered whether we agree or not.

I edited my post so it doesn't look like I am talking about you.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join