It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Declining Birthrate means entitlement problems will just get worse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   

The U.S. birthrate just fell to its lowest point since we've been keeping track. Here's why that may be a problem for my 2-year-old son.

Right now, I, my colleagues and everybody else with a job is paying to support our parents, our grandparents and all the other elderly people in the U.S. who currently receive Medicare and Social Security. Relatively speaking, there are still plenty of us working people, compared to the number of retirees.

But the fall in the birthrate means that, by the time my son gets to be my age, there will be fewer working people for each retiree. So he'll have to pay a bigger share of my retirement costs — which he may not want to do.
Link

Doesnt matter how the politicians decide to handle entitlements. Jack the age to qualify up to 70 or 80 and it wont fix anything. Tax every wage earning slave 100% and it still wont fix it.

It's broken and done for. The sooner we admit it the sooner we can stop pretending everything is sunshine and roses and deal with the reality of taking care of ourselves and taking care of our families.

There arent enough people and there isnt enough money at the bottom to keep the pyramid upright.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Reply to post by thisguyrighthere

You're spreading misinformation.

SS is neither a pyramid scheme nor an entitlement. People pay into it. It's their money. Please just read this.

www.ourfuture.org...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

You're free to brand and label it anyway you want. That doesnt change the math of it.

That suggests two possible solutions to Social Security's twenty-year-from-now problem: 1) Lift the payroll tax cap, and/or 2) impose a small financial transactions tax on Wall Street and use it to make up the Social Security shortfall. Either of these approaches would solve the problem.

Temporary stop gaps. Without massive reforms all around shortly after lifting the payroll tax cap and taxing "Wall Street" we'll be right back to where we are.

A 100% tax and lifting the age to collect up to 90 will still only be temporary fixes.
edit on 7-12-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I watched a video the other day by a hog farmer who also produced GMO crops. He started to feed his pigs the GMO corn and every last one of them became sterile. In the USA, 60% of corn is GMO, 98% Soy beans are GMO and all of Canola. These are the GMO products that we eat everyday. The elite have decided that the planet is developed enough and they don't need us any more. Their agenda is to bring world population to 500 million and they couldn't care less about what this does to entitlement. If they have their way, we will die and cease to be a problem.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Or... Hear me out... You can actually plan for your retirement and set money aside instead of planning to just hold your hand out when you reach retirement age.

And also, if there are less people, and the same number of jobs- why wouldn't the unemployement rate be effected instead of the number of jobs filled? And... Why wouldn't the imigration (which is becoming easier) offset the amount of natives working those bottom jobs?

We need less births in the entire world to let our environment reach equilibrium agian. NOT MORE!

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

US Declining Birthrate

Could also mean that people want more , they may have been taught to want more while they can not.

And that means that they will decide not to have babies.

Mass reduction program.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Declining birthrate means eventually, farther down the road, less older people to depend on social security and more job openings.

Problem?
edit on 7-12-2012 by Junkheap because: The horrible, awful, terrible, ghastly, hideous screaming blue fuzzy things that won't leave me alone.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Erm, it's going to take these babies a couple of decades or so to enter the workforce. By that time the majority of the baby boomers will be dead.

Quite simply, not an issue.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1plusXisto7billion

Or... Hear me out... You can actually plan for your retirement and set money aside instead of planning to just hold your hand out when you reach retirement age.

That would be un-American.

And also, if there are less people, and the same number of jobs- why wouldn't the unemployement rate be effected instead of the number of jobs filled?

That's a big "if." So many jobs in America are service based. With less people to serve and less consumers all around the number of available jobs would fall along with the population. At what ratio I dont know. But it would remain the same.

And... Why wouldn't the imigration (which is becoming easier) offset the amount of natives working those bottom jobs?

Very well could if America had sensible immigration policies.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Erm, it's going to take these babies a couple of decades or so to enter the workforce. By that time the majority of the baby boomers will be dead.

Quite simply, not an issue.

All things the same this is true.

Every year we love long longer than the last.

The sliders will all have to be moved to keep things sort of stable. If science and medicine continue to march forward it wont be long until actuary tables top out around 160 and retirement age will have to become 140 and if the birth rate continues to fall it will still be a tight bill to pay.

Long term outlooks always include a lot of "ifs".

"If" they just die off and we continue to drop around 80 then it'll all even out. Assuming the economy makes a substantial recovery in the decades before I retire and the children enter the workforce. If I lose everything and my pension source falls through then the kids will have to pay more for less.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

This is true. We're going to live a lot longer in the coming decades.

The way I see it, the technology to do so won't trickle down to the average individual until the boomers are mostly dead.

We're only in our infancy of life-extension. Whatever is being done now will simply extend our life some 5-20%, and it's in prileminary trials. Even these won't hit the market for another 5-10 years, and it will be expensive for another 5-15 years.

So basically, I think this is all planned to work out pretty well.

By the time the ability to live 120+ for a good chunk of us happens, our technological might will have eclipsed these silly notions of "social security". We'll be mining the moon, asteroids, colonizing other planets, etc...

It will be a non-issue.

I only think there's a "crunchtime" for the next decade or so, and even then some are living much better lives than ever before in history.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Junkheap
Declining birthrate means eventually, farther down the road, less older people to depend on social security and more job openings.

Problem?
edit on 7-12-2012 by Junkheap because: The horrible, awful, terrible, ghastly, hideous screaming blue fuzzy things that won't leave me alone.

Not when you have increasing life expectancy to go along with it. People need to get used to the fact that 65 is not retirement age anymore. The qualification age for all the retiree entitlement programs needs to be adjusted every 10 years or so with the rate that medicine progresses.

Edit: Sorry, I basically restated what others have said and should've read further down. Forgive me, I'm a newbie here.
edit on 11-12-2012 by Sandcastler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
World birth rates are declining. Look at any stats

Populations are shrinking everywhere

new topics

top topics

join