It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The true meaning of Christmas.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
The true meaning of Christmas is to teach children that people are liars and to teach children that the world is a horrible place where people are horrible to each other most of the time.

The one day a year? What about the other days?

There is no need for parents to lie to their children and tell them that a fat old man dressed in red is going to break into the house once a year to leave presents. But the man will only leave presents if the child is "good". WTH? Children are good. They are not "bad".

When children realize that their parents and the world have been lying to their faces for years and making fools of them, they are being conditioned to accept that society and the world are an unfair. They understand that they could have been as "good" as any kid in the world but Jimmy's parents make more money and he got a dune buggy this year and it has nothing to do with being "good".

Sure there is the consumerism and the gross displays of wealth but the true meaning of Christmas is to condition a child for a unfair capitalist world that is full of liars and bad people.

Humbug!
edit on 7-12-2012 by spangledbanner because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Did you just learn the truth? You seem very disturbed by it.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor

Yes. I cant believe Santa isnt real. Why would my parents lie to me? What the hell is their problem?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by spangledbanner

Oh no you didn't! lol

Prepare to have ignorance denied...

cntrl+c, cntrl+v...

Pre-Christian background
Dies Natalis Solis Invicti
Main article: Sol Invictus
Dies Natalis Solis Invicti means "the birthday of the unconquered sun".
Some early Christian writers connected the sun to the birth of Jesus, which Christians believe was prophesied in Malachi 4:2 as the "Sun of Righteousness."[6] "O, how wonderfully acted Providence that on that day on which that Sun was born...Christ should be born", Cyprian wrote.[6] In the fourth century, John Chrysostom commented on the connection: "But Our Lord, too, is born in the month of December ... the eight before the calends of January [25 December] ..., But they call it the 'Birthday of the Unconquered'. Who indeed is so unconquered as Our Lord ...? Or, if they say that it is the birthday of the Sun, He is the Sun of Justice."[6]
One ancient source mentioned Dies Natalis Solis Invicti in the Chronography of 354, and Sol scholar Steven Hijmans stated that there is no evidence that the celebration precedes that of Christmas:[45] "[W]hile the winter solstice on or around December 25 was well established in the Roman imperial calendar, there is no evidence that a religious celebration of Sol on that day antedated the celebration of Christmas, and none that indicates that Aurelian had a hand in its institution."[45]
Winter festivals
Main article: List of winter festivals
A winter festival was the most popular festival of the year in many cultures. Reasons included the fact that less agricultural work needs to be done during the winter, as well as an expectation of better weather as spring approached.[46] Modern Christmas customs include: gift-giving and merrymaking from Roman Saturnalia; greenery, lights, and charity from the Roman New Year; and Yule logs and various foods from Germanic feasts.[47]
Pagan Scandinavia celebrated a winter festival called Yule, held in the late December to early January period.[citation needed] As Northern Europe was the last part to Christianize, its pagan traditions had a major influence on Christmas, especially Koleda,[48] which was incorporated into the Christmas carol. Scandinavians still call Christmas Jul. In English, the word Yule is synonymous with Christmas,[49] a usage first recorded in 900.
Christianity
The New Testament Gospel of Luke may indirectly give the date as December for the birth of Jesus, with the sixth month of Elizabeth's pregnancy with John the Baptist cited by John Chrysostom (c. 386) as a date for the Annunciation.[6][18][50][51] Tertullian (d. 220) did not mention Christmas as a major feast day in the Church of Roman Africa.[6] In Chronographai, a reference work published in 221, Sextus Julius Africanus suggested that Jesus was conceived on the spring equinox.[52][53] The equinox was March 25 on the Roman calendar, so this implied a birth in December.[54]
Bishops Theophilus of Antioch (ca. 175) and Hippolytus of Rome (204) are often cited among the earliest Christian references to December 25 being the Date of Christ's birth.[citation needed] In 245, the theologian Origen of Alexandria stated that, "only sinners (like Pharaoh and Herod)" celebrated their birthdays.[55] In 303, Christian writer Arnobius ridiculed the idea of celebrating the birthdays of gods, a passage cited as evidence that Arnobius was unaware of any nativity celebration.[56] Since Christmas does not celebrate Christ's birth "as God" but "as man", this is not evidence against Christmas being a feast at this time.[6] The fact the Donatists of North Africa celebrated Christmas may indicate that the feast was established by the time that church was created in 311.

en.wikipedia.org...-Christian_background

I've always held the notion that Christmas is more or less about seasonal progression and such... which has strong ties to agriculture.

Why not bring family together after selling your crop after harvest....

October and November were busy times, harvest and trade, preparing for winter and all... not too much time for family. So room was made to bring them together.

Granted it's pandeism, pantheism or some form of ism based off of the natural world and celestial worship.

Celestial worship being the key....

And you can't tell me just who you are
You burn them clothes just to hide those scars
You built that roof just to hide those stars
Now you can't take it back to the start

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
if Santa Claus break in my house i will shoot and call the police.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
So what does Jesus have to say about His own birthday?

On Christmas morning in 1997 I was awake and praying knowing that I would soon be heading downstairs to share Christmas with my daughter and her family.

But this morning in 1997 I was also feeling apprehensive and I didn't know why. Why would I feel troubled about such a joyful time? As I continued praying about it the L-rd gave me a vision. Standing before me in an open vision I saw a Christmas Tree beautifully decorated with presents tucked all around the bottom. Across from the tree I saw Messiah hanging upon a cross weeping. He looked at me and cried: "The foxes have spoiled the whole tree." I responded: "L-rd, what do you mean?"

He then took me into the spirit and let me see things through His eyes and feel what He felt. He moaned:

"Christmas is not about Me and what I gave on the cross. It is about greed and gifts and teaching My children the ways of the world. It is about what each one can get and moaning over what they don't get. It fosters greed and rebellion in the hearts of My precious children, while the poor and the needy go without. This is not My way; it is not My holiday. It is mans!

The merchants have totally perverted the joy of My birth and have turned the focus on satisfying the craving of man's lust. My children are not taught to forget themselves and seek the interest of the poor and needy. It is a holiday that is a complete perversion of my ways."

I realized that Christmas, although many Churches put on pageants and plays about Christ and His birth, truly is a pagan holiday. No matter how we try to dress it up, it really isn't about our beloved Messiah. It is about us!

Nita Johnson

Where Is Christ In Christmas?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   

I think someone just had 'the talk'.

On topic:

I don't agree with christmas but my boy loves it and if he's happy then i'm happy.

I was once lied to about the fat man who sneaks into your house at night while you sleep, carrying a big bag of toys for kiddies, who then escapes to the north pole to hide out for another year....but I turned out just fine.

*crosses eyes then twitches head in an insane manner*
edit on 7-12-2012 by SilentE because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
And it is also the time of year when people come together and help the less fortunate. Perhaps everyone could do more all year long but a lot of people choose Christmas to give to charities and volunteer. In my town, and every town, neighbours come together to help the needy, and give less fortunate kids one day, one time a year, when they can be happy.

In the end, Christmas is what you make of it. If you make it about helping others, then that's what it will be for your kids. If you make it about consumerism, then that's what it will be.

Yes, the world is a sh#thole. No reason to shove the kids' faces in it. All kids deserve a childhood. They will grow up soon enough and learn the truth.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I seen Santa when I was like nine.. lol it was funny too because I was half sleep and he decided to throw "Sleeping Poder" in my eyes as I was waiting for dad to start setting up the Xmas tree. I awoke about an hour later and seen dad almost done with the tree. As soon as I awoke, I said, "WHERE IS SANTA? HE THREW DUST IN MY EYES" Lol, it was funny, my dad was always sarcastic. He was like, "Uh huh, he left." I asked, "WAS HIS REINDEER OUTSIDE?" He was like, "Uh huh"

Lol my dad thought I was nuts..

Good ol days.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
As a child I look back and remember how excited I was in the days running up to and in anticipation of Father Christmas! Santa! that old fat guy in the red & white suit! arriving in the dead of night to bring gifts & presents and lay them at the bottom of my bed! to be caught by my parents with a mouth full of chocolate at 4 or 5 am in the morning! because I was so excited I woke up to early!. To get up put my new clothes on and go to church to celebrate the birth of Jesus (yes I was brought up a Catholic). Then to come home and have family brothers, sisters, cousins, aunts & uncles all gathered to have Christmas dinner together.

As I got older and married with children of my own, the run up to Christmas was a bit different, a bit stressful, could I buy what everyone would like, I was one of the ones still shopping Xmas eve!! then off the my parents home where everyone would gather non fail! every year! to be happy together and share our gifts, To see the excitement on my Own children's faces Christmas morning when they opened their gifts, to cook Christmas dinner for my family and to enjoy their company!.

I am now a grandmother of 3 & still have the stressful run up to THE big day! Still do last bits of shopping Xmas eve! & every year tell myself I won't do the same next year, I'll be more prepared! It's the one day in the year when you can soak up all the happiness within your family & just for a few hours forget all the troubles in the world. The gifts don't have to be expensive, It is the thought that counts! & to see the smiles on peoples faces when giving a gift brings a warmth inside more than receiving one myself.

I don't really think about whether it was a pagan day a christian day! or what ever It's Christmas.

This is what Christmas means to me!

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   

And merry Festivus to you too, good sir!

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I wouldn't trade the lies for anything in the world. I am ever so grateful to my parents for bringing me the magick and love of Christmas. I have precious and happy memories that last a lifetime. When I found out that my parents lied I was shocked at first, but my immediate thought after that was just how much trouble my parents went through to make things so special for me.

I could never understand why anyone would want to take that magic away from a child.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

It'a a birthday and how do we all celebrate birthdays? With presents. Santa is just a way to allow children to have more fun with it all.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by spangledbanner

Yes. I cant believe Santa isnt real. Why would my parents lie to me? What the hell is their problem?

They wanted you to have some wonder and magick and joy and something truly special. They loved you and created what they thought would be treasured moments and memories. Why do you see that as a problem?

new topics

top topics

join