It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smart Government Spending!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

the files are unavailable,
i cant seem get my copies back,

they have.....gone

xploder

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by beezzer

Was this like a big convention of ideas and someone presented the one stated in the OP...

no, it was some senator or congressman repaying a bribe, i mean a campaign contribution.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
100k on Jesus die for the klingons to?

So much for that separation of church and state, oh well that is why we hate the evil rich and want to tax them out of existence.

edit on 6-12-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

Not out of existence. Just back to Clinton era rates. When we were proseprous.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

I appreciate the fact you're professionally attached to this by what your describing and so it's far more than a mental exercise and blog topic for you. That does make the whole thing fascinating. I've heard about the 100 year project of course... USA Today had quite a bit about it a good time ago when it was high in the news. It looks incredible to me. Forgive my flippant attitude before...Sleep hasn't been something I've seen much of for a couple weeks and last night was my first decent sleep in 3 weeks. So..I'm feeling much better now.

With that in mind, I have a question with a bit more depth than my first attempt at this.

I understand and agree with the need to set goals and have a thing to work toward. Beyond that though, unless there is a shadow side to the space program....this still strikes me as almost absurd to go working on in any serious way. The reason is real simple and what confuses me here. Human Beings have been outside Earth Orbit a handful of times in the Apollo program. They've never, once, that history knows about, been beyond the Moon's orbit. The Russians have extensive experience running past our own with long term space endurance and orbital time punched on the clock...but even they only know the mere basics from that for what can be learned in orbit.....basically, sitting right here at home.

So....the big thing that boggles me..,.What is there to plan or even seriously consider in generational space travel when there is absolutely no way to even begin to guess what is out there to build, design and plan for? Voyagers have now hit 2 areas the scientists say they absolutely did now know existed...and that is still a stone's throw from our own planet, in cosmic terms.

Doesn't it make more sense to put 100% of *ALL* the very limited resources into what is immediately achievable (The Moon....Mars...maybe asteroids too if physics and speed issues can be solved). With all respect in presenting this, it just seems to me that until we can at least do those ...comparably trivial steps....thinking into generational transits is simply building a tomb and sending a ship full of folks out to die by what no one will have spent the time to know existed?

edit on 7-12-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain

So much for that separation of church and state, oh well that is why we hate the evil rich and want to tax them out of existence.

Just a reminder, if we're going back to Clinton-era prosperity, then government spending would also have to be cut by 37%.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain

What Clinton Era tax rates would those be exactly?

President Clinton's Corp and Personal Income taxes rates were very similar? Corporate rates never changed under his administration and personal rates changes marginally. One has to go back to the Reagan/Carter transition years to see a dramatically different set of Personal/Corporate rates ...and I would't call Mr. Peanut's time to be prosperous for the nation.

*Obama's numbers "end" at the date I finished those....which is a few months ago. I'll get around to updating those to Ingauration day numbers to properly close the 1st term in numbers when the day comes.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I sure do hope we get more Govt, where they get to dictate more of what we do, and they create some more Agencies as well.

Hey, can we get higher taxes as well, so the Govt can spend more on crap like this? Pretty pretty please!!!!!!!

Now, what about those Borg. Think they had a hand with Pontius Pilate????

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I would love to go back to those times.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Yes, we need to bring Jesus to the Klingons!

Think of all the good He could do.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

He didn't just die for you!

Ka' Plah!

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Then there is a valid reason for the study!!!

(off topic: if I ever get a band, it'll be called "Naked-Klingon-Space-Jesus)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
So did Kahless kill Jesus at Three Turn Bridge?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Well according to this website:

Beliefs : Our beliefs are identical to that of Evangelical Christians. We believe in a triune God and in the cosubstantiality of Jesus and the Father. However we throw in some Klingon terminology to confus...that is to make new Klingon converts more comfortable.

So when witnessing to Klingons please use Kahless instead of Jesus, Pahtk instead of Christ, HuH Pahtk for Blood of Christ, Yintagh for Christian, T'oohomirah for Christianity, Forshak for Baptism and so on. Properly done Klingons will not even realize that they are abandoning their culture or religion believing that they are actually practicing a variant of their own beliefs.

They also make the claim that Klingons like to kill, and so do Christians. Crusades anyone? Hello!

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
DOD wastes mega millions every single hour.

I saw a E-8 retire and they used the military units funds to buy him a truck along with a welder and equipment. He then started getting "contracts" to come out and weld for them. Guy didn't know the first thing about welding, everything he welded fell apart and the active duty troops had to go back in and fix everything the next week.

We had a Reservist Supply guy who watched the hole thing unfold. We told him to keep copies of the receipts....that guy ever tries running for politrics.....use those receipts to blackmail some money out of him.....

TRILLIONS...wasted over the decades. TRILLIONS.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

First off..Briebart? C'Mon...drill down a little on the BS...for your own sense of intellectual honesty...you can keep your opinions, but begin with facts.

Example...from your OP article:

“Did Jesus Die for Klingons too?” was just one session at a recent workshop funded by the Defense Advances Research Projects Agency:

...Don't eff with DARPA. Those MFers are wicked geniuses. I have talked to them for work purposes. they are recruited from around the country and represent the most insanely bright folks and engineers you will ever meet. They are a collection of folks who are just flat off the charts on the creativity and genius scale.

Some of DARPAs better know inventions...the internet, GPS, Speech translation, spy satellite photography, exoskeletons, and robotic cars.

They have also invented an invisibility cloak recently...spiderman like gloves...the list goes on and on.

SECONDLY

“Did Jesus Die for Klingons too?” was just one session at a recent workshop funded by the Defense Advances Research Projects Agency:

Lets drill down...from Tom Colbourns report cited on Briebart...see how that "drill down" on BS works?

Further, DARPA paid nearly $100,000 for a strategy planning workshop on the 100 Year Starship project last year included an interesting discussion involving the Klingons, a fictional alien species who were villains and then later allies of humanity in the Star Trek series.

The session entitled “Did Jesus die for Klingons too?” featured philosophy professor Christian Weidemann of Germany’s Ruhr-University Bochum who pondered the theological conflict to Christianity if intelligent life was found on other planets.

So 100k for a workshop that included some of the brightest folks in America and well over 100 sessions on space travel, one of which was the implications on Christianity if Alien life forms is discovered?

Less than 1k (100k/100+ sessions) 100yss.org...

Fair price to ask the question IMO. Darpa will be on the front edge of any discoveries we might make in space one day.

edit on 7-12-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by XPLodER

I appreciate the fact you're professionally attached to this by what your describing and so it's far more than a mental exercise and blog topic for you. That does make the whole thing fascinating. I've heard about the 100 year project of course... USA Today had quite a bit about it a good time ago when it was high in the news. It looks incredible to me. Forgive my flippant attitude before...Sleep hasn't been something I've seen much of for a couple weeks and last night was my first decent sleep in 3 weeks. So..I'm feeling much better now.

TO BE CLEAR
i am not professionally attached to the 100yss group.
they solicited for the public to imput important questions for consideration to set up groups to explore some of the logistics that would be involved in inter-solar travel.
i misinterpreted this to mean they wanted theoretical technical papers on the areas they had outlined.
i choose navigation, faster than light travel and communication tech as my briefs
and was not accepted to present my full papers as they were NOT looking for future tech design ideas

With that in mind, I have a question with a bit more depth than my first attempt at this.

I understand and agree with the need to set goals and have a thing to work toward. Beyond that though, unless there is a shadow side to the space program....this still strikes me as almost absurd to go working on in any serious way. The reason is real simple and what confuses me here. Human Beings have been outside Earth Orbit a handful of times in the Apollo program. They've never, once, that history knows about, been beyond the Moon's orbit. The Russians have extensive experience running past our own with long term space endurance and orbital time punched on the clock...but even they only know the mere basics from that for what can be learned in orbit.....basically, sitting right here at home.

nasa has been conducting orbital sciences from the iss for quite some time now and this knowledge will filter down to tech designers in the future
since the 100 yss has been set up, (although unconnected)
there have been MASSIVE efficiency and bit rate increases for communications tech, which was a prime problem for local and deep space networks.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
this is but ONE of the many problems to be solved before we reach for the stars

So....the big thing that boggles me..,.What is there to plan or even seriously consider in generational space travel when there is absolutely no way to even begin to guess what is out there to build, design and plan for? Voyagers have now hit 2 areas the scientists say they absolutely did now know existed...and that is still a stone's throw from our own planet, in cosmic terms.

the voyagers will give us a good idea what to expect as we travel from star to star,
infact propulsion may be designed depending on is encountered,
ie we already suspect there is a "bowshock" in the direction of travel of our star as it passes through extra solar space,
this knowledge may influence designs that can use this "gas plasma" could be used in a scram jet manner to "fuel up" and to provide propulsion

Doesn't it make more sense to put 100% of *ALL* the very limited resources into what is immediately achievable (The Moon....Mars...maybe asteroids too if physics and speed issues can be solved). With all respect in presenting this, it just seems to me that until we can at least do those ...comparably trivial steps....thinking into generational transits is simply building a tomb and sending a ship full of folks out to die by what no one will have spent the time to know existed?

there are already programs that deal with lunar exploration in the works,
as well as long term mission planning for mars.
those techs are being currently developed, but without a long term goal there is no need for design "inter generational" tech .

part of the considerations would have to encampass more than just tech like the "effect" on human civilization
xploder
edit on 7-12-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-12-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Personally? I find the topic fascinating. I'm also having fun with the Naked-Klingon-Space-Jesus meme.

I don't personally know DARPA, but I can imagine they spend 1,000,000 times more on things we don't have a clue about.

Breitbart had it on, I thought it amusing and insignificant in relation to what the government is spending. But I also thought it amusing and relavent to the ATS crowd.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I'd be down for some Jesus blood wine. Those Klingons know how to party.

How about Naked-Zombie-Klingon-Space-Jesus? His ship could look like a huge cross, and the bottom end could be a massive disruptor.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

That was offered via the VA, as a disability related retraining program.
Has nothing to do with DOD.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by Indigo5

Personally? I find the topic fascinating. I'm also having fun with the Naked-Klingon-Space-Jesus meme.

The title of talk was geek humor, but the question is a good one. If Christians believe Jesus died for our sins, how will a good chunk of the world population reconcile that belief with the discovery of alien life? what would be the geo-political and cultural implications? People do crazy sh&^ in the name of God/Allah all the time. For less than 1K in expense it seems a whorthwhile insurance policy to sick some of the brightest minds in the world on the question for an afternoon.

FYI...Here is just a glimpse of one project DARPA made public and this 4 years ago!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join