It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What on earth is happening to children in America?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
What is going on is that parents are not feeding kids right, fast food restaurants and candies to children causes illness.. my mom works in a medical clinic and she is surprised how many kids have diebetes.

We are all product of our parents and if parents dont care about their own health they sure as hell wont take care of their kids. Parents these days hardly cook at all, maybe on weekends. So eating fast food is a must for most americans.

All this goes a long way, if everything wasnt so expensive in this country perhaps moms didnt have to work and therefore help their child be healthier, while father works.

Unfortunately this isnt the case anymore. Women have to work which causes them to feel more independent. This feeling of independency causes women to feel power and avoid confrontation from men, eventually separation and divorce.

Many women are having kids too young and most of the time are having premature babies. Alcohol and drugs also affects the unborn babies, and are born with all these illness.

Schools now teach sex ed which provoke teens eventually want to have sex, and its hardly ever protected sex anymore. Schools provide teenage moms with day care. Again provoking sex at young age.

GMOs in our foods. Chemical trails left by planes realising aluminum into our breathing air. Pollution in big cities which we are inhaling every single day affects all of our bodies.

There is a huge problem with our society and our government these days.. there are channels on Roku streaming devices specifically for children with autism.

The wifi in our homes and cell phones we carry in our pockets affect the testosterone levels in men. Cell phone towers that appear like trees are everywhere. Im no professional but all this not only affects men, but pregnant women aswell.

We have created a dangerous technological world with a unique society, just open your eyes people! Wake up!

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

Honey, what's wrong with him/her?"
This is where the most common excuses are utilized:
"I don't know, it must be ADHD, or these raunchy television programs, or all that modern music, or all these damned violent video games and movies. Lets blame all those, because it certainly isn't our fault at all!"

In that vein they often seek help outside the family like doctors and therapists (whatever they call shrinks nowadays). My nephew has been to a lot of both. I can't believe they would send their own child away to some "expert". I've watched him decay as a result. These "visits" to doctors must reinforce in him the idea that something is wrong with him. Even though there isn't anything wrong, his little ego is getting negative reinforcement. I can't imagine how that must make his head spin. His parents don't attend these meetings and they should be the ones going instead of him.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
The situation is a causative cycles that re enforces itself.....
many of the ills and perversities which show up in our kids are simply reflections of the decsisons society makes as a whole....
These are heavily influenced by the wealthy elite who have absolutely no connection with humanity except as the source of their wealth.
Example would be Flouride.....
This is an INDUSTRIAL WASTE!
It is produced in large quantity by the production of aluminium.
This became a problem to dispose of and the process is a costly drain on the profits.

On this basis the whole flouridation campaign was launched because one industrial tycoon needed to get rid of an unwanted by product, which he did by getting the masses to comsume it in their water, on scientifically false premises it was GOOD FOR THEIR TEETH!
This is whats wrong with the society and the children....
Psychological warfare has been unleashed full scale upon the masses, and the results are becomming aparent.
The elites agendas, based on false and barely understood scientific doctrines, are being tested upon us constantly....
Advertising and entertainment is not for the stated purposes, It is a programming tool of great power brought to bear upon society.
As regards fat kids....hell look at the fat adults in America first.....

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by relocator
I believe food allergies could be caused by pesticides...

Source

We need to learn how to destory bugs without destorying ourselves....

Paul Stamets: 6 ways mushrooms can save the world
www.ted.com...

The focus of Stamets' research is the Northwest's native fungal genome, mycelium, but along the way he has filed 22 patents for mushroom-related technologies, including pesticidal fungi that trick insects into eating them, and mushrooms that can break down the neurotoxins used in nerve gas.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

You were doing fine until you made it political.

2nd.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by KarensHoliday

One thing I always try to consider when someone says "something" is a "problem" and on the "rise" is account for how the statistics are gathered now...as to the data you are comparing those statistics to.

The stats you listed...how do we know those aren't the norm? Well we compare them with previously gathered stats but sometimes completely ignore the differences in how those stats were gathered...which is significantly important.

Much like earthquakes today. When people show charts of worldwide earthquakes on the rise...that data represents a comparison of two different data sets that usually excludes how the data was gathered. We have significantly more EQ awareness today than at any other time in history because we have a significantly better method of detecting and measuring them...so while some say EQ's are on the rise I say EQ awareness is on the rise...

This same principal works with virtually ALL statistics...and this is why statistics should be taken with a massive grain of salt...people take them at face value and make some pretty important decisions with them...

Let me ask...is crime really on the rise? or is the awareness of it via multimedia, youtube, tv, radio, internet, forums, blogs, twitter, facebook....on the rise???

Is corruption on the rise??? or is awareness of it on the rise?
Is the OP listed stats on child diagnosis on the rise? or the awareness of it on the rise?
Is bullying on the rise? or is the awareness of it on the rise??

When you consider and account for the exponentially increasing flow of information in the world today and how its changing our perceptions...I would imagine almost everything is on the "rise" because our awareness of it is on the "rise"...

98% of all statistics are made up on the spot. (including this one)

edit on 6-12-2012 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I suspect much of it has to do with the overly polluted air we breathe and fast food mania.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by orionthehunter
I'll attempt an answer.

1. Not enough exercise tends to make a kid fat.
edit on 6/12/12 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

Im going to add a bit here. Obesity is an increasing issue because like orionthehunter says kids do not get enough exercise.

In addition to this theres also the thing about not WANTING to do exercise. Why? Look at it this way. A child walks to and from school and does the occasional exercise at school right? Theres your exercise but in a way thats mandatory (cant think of a better word here) because they have no other way of getting to school and exercising is part of their curriculum.

Now, wanting to do exercise means going outside, playing a sport either with friends or on a team. Kids dont do that these days and that contributes to their obesity. But thats not all.

Theres also the food and snacks they consume and that is also making kids fat. Constant eating of candy, drinking soda and other sugary crap is just not healthy and you all know it. The media seems to market more of this stuff to kids now and its just not right. But do we have to blame the media? NO. Why? Because its the parents and the kids themselves who make the decision to either go the cheaper route and buy something unhealthy or the other thing: they just want what tastes good to them which in some cases is the unhealthy, grease covered fat filled stuff.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
The op has asked what has happened to the children in America. The answer is: The federal government and a lack of parenting.

The Federal government decided that it knows what is best. Cities like New York and San Francisco dictate what can and can not be served in the way of food services. Trying to regulate the human behavior and it never works. So if you look back to say 20, 30, 40 years and look at how things were with children and you can see how these policies started to effect the children of the country.

Consider this: Vit D is primarily made through sunlight on the skin. But the government says staying out in the sunshine is a bad thing as you get skin cancer. Take a look at what children or even parents have to do to allow for their children to have say a bike, in some places if the child does not have say all sorts of safety gear, the parents can't give their child a bike. The kinds of exercise that a child would normally get for being a child is no longer there.

Parents can't really be parents, can't discipline a child, cause then you have the goverment involved. Don't spank the child, or it may cost you in the way of time, money and a criminal record. And what is even worse the CPS know this, and will often prosecute the parents, even when children lie about what all happened.

Parents don't want to tell their children no, but expect the local and federal government to do it for them. Take a look at all of the lawsuits that are against say McDonalds and other things that are geared towards the children.

You want to get rid of the majority of problems with the children in America:

1) Get back to actual parenting and discplining the child.
2) Get away from fast and processed food.
3) Get the child outside and have then run till they drop then get up and run some more.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Let's just ignore uncontrolled population growth and the absence of any natural selection.....

Originally posted by KarensHoliday
-1 in 9 has asthma
-1 in 10 has ADHD
-1 in 12 has food allergies
-1 in 20 has seizures
-1 in 54 males has autism
-1 in 88 has autism

Those things are probably genetic.

Don't get me wrong. Our diet and lack of exercise is definitely the reason for obesity, and many ailments, BUT the things I quoted are genetic conditions.

Intelligence is pretty much solely the fault of the parents. You don't know what simply reading to your kids will do, as well as caring about your kids education. Parents today just stick their kids in front of the TV and don't teach them anything. You can't even say it's the TV's fault in this case. It's the parent's fault for letting their kids watch TV.

I'm sorry but I'm not going to start saying it's random chemicals fault in the environment, when there are plenty of valid reasons.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I can honestly say that at 30, I don't take any medications daily.

I was on Zoloft for several years, and I am so glad to be off of it. I never realized just how "zombified" it had made me. I can distinctly remember being off the Zoloft for about 6 weeks, and having to put my cat down at the vet.

I remember tearing up and feeling sad. I hadn't felt "sad" or really anything in years. I almost started to cry not out of sadness, but out of joy to have "feelings" again. It felt so good just to FEEL.

We over overmedicate our children, that's a given. Parents today are at least twice as selfish than previous generations. Everyone wants a "quick fast fix" for little Johnny's problems. This goes beyond medication, but down to even handing your kid an iPad and telling him to shut up and watch a movie.

Parents aren't "parenting" anymore -- and as a consequence they point fingers at diseases to shift the blame.

Little Johnny is acting up at school? Must be ADHD! Let's ignore the fact that he is completley neglected at home because Mom likes her wine to much, and Dad is at a hockey game with his friends.

The 20-35 year olds today were raised to believe it's all about them. I think the problem is cultural, with perhaps a dash of enviromental pollution.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

Consider this: Vit D is primarily made through sunlight on the skin. But the government says staying out in the sunshine is a bad thing as you get skin cancer.
they say staying out for extended periods of time without any sunscreen is bad. Very different from the way you summarized it.

Take a look at what children or even parents have to do to allow for their children to have say a bike, in some places if the child does not have say all sorts of safety gear, the parents can't give their child a bike. The kinds of exercise that a child would normally get for being a child is no longer there. Parents can't really be parents, can't discipline a child, cause then you have the goverment involved. Don't spank the child, or it may cost you in the way of time, money and a criminal record. And what is even worse the CPS know this, and will often prosecute the parents, even when children lie about what all happened.

Parents stick their kids in front of the TV and don't give a rats ass about their education. NOTHING the government does is causing them to neglect their education.
It's the parent's fault. Stop blaming the government for everything. They don't control your life. You do.
Take some responsibility.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

his mom won't allow. She goes to "Wholistic practioners" and she feeds him ADD "vitamins".

----IIMO , some American are fooled to ask scientists to help them.

they want everything to be new.

they practice their own new way.

like losing weight without moving.

Or treating a kid without talking , by medicine.
edit on 6-12-2012 by mideast because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
On the topic of obesity:

There are four times fat cells are created.

1. During the first 18 months of life
2. During adolescence
3. After increasing bodyweight ~60% from a healthy lean state
4. During pregnancy

I think the answer is obvious. We're overfeeding the kids. Then, these obese kids become obese adults.

Look at the sugar consumption rise in the last 100 years...sec...

The chart shows about a 40% rise from 1980-2000. Thankfully, there is a push back to lower this consumption in the last decade.

Excess calories get turned into fat. It's as simple as that. If you consume excess calories during the first 18 months, or during adolescence, you will generate more fat cells which you never get rid of.

This is why people are fat. We eat too many excess carbs. If you dumdums would just stop giving kids extra calories that they don't need, they wouldn't get fat.

As for the rest, I'm going with:

rise of environmental polution
petrochemicals in the food and water supply
and microwave radiation exposure

FTW!

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Not just the children, but all of us have been "poisoned". Not by food or water, but by the contents of TV and schools.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

GMOs and vaccines.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I can remember as a little kid asking my father questions all the time. Back in those days my dad would say, "Well I don't know, lets look it up in the encyclopedia!"

Kids today don't have that anymore. Parents just throw an iPad at them and expect them to just entertain themselves.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Honey boo boo is overweight for a 7 year old and she does fine for money, are you saying USA kids are not as talented?

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

I think the problem is cultural, with perhaps a dash of enviromental pollution.

It is an consequence of making people greedy and selfish.

Government knows that greedy and selfish people can be easily tempted to follow govt's propaganda.

It is selfishness that keeps parents from looking for other people than themselves.

And it is greed that is not letting them to stop and take a look around.

And by making hollow trust in scientists , people will always hope that the govt will give them a good new way to redemption.

It is what illuminated screen does.
edit on 6-12-2012 by mideast because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Then why is 3 of 3 of mine not at all obese?
I think that number there is BS.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join