It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bob Barr Republican voting for Badnarik

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Republican Bob Barr is voting Libertarian.

I see this as the start of a LOT of Republicans returning to their roots of personal rights and responsabilty that the Republicans gave up with the Patriot act.

badnarik.org...

The Patriot Act isn�t Barr�s sole disagreement with the Bush administration. But it�s the most emblematic. �Conservatives of all people ought to stand up for the belief that there needs to be limits on executive power. [The Bush administration] says that terror trumps everything. To me, nothing should trump the Bill of Rights.�

Barr doesn�t like the way the Patriot Act whittles away at the �probable cause� standard that justifies government snooping on citizens. He doesn�t like the circumventing of judges via �administrative subpoenas.�

Hopefully more will follow

[edit on 23-10-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Wow Amuk, I was just going to bump this thread I posted last night (seriously
like seconds away):

If only all Republicans thought like Bob Barr

I have a lot of respect for politicians like Bob Barr and Ron Paul. They prove that honest politicians exist.

Edit: There's a story about this on the LP website too.

[edit on (10/23/0404 by PistolPete]

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I can understand because Bush and his administration are not Republicans. Patriot Act, increased spending, government expansion, pre-emptive war, trumping state law. I mean it's amazing that bush and his administration get this kind of support. Kerry pretty much is only inline with trumping state law. Democrats have a lot of other questionable policies as well. So pretty much either way, people get screwed by these two parties.

Hopefully this will be a major trend.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I think we are coming VERY close to a spliting of the Republican party with part of it merging with the Libertarian Party, and the other part going more with the Religious right and more government control, basicaly becoming a cross between the Taliban and the Democrats

It is strange that since the Republicans have control of the government they have TOTALLY forgot what they were susposed to stand for, and have become IMO a mirrior of the WORST part of the Democratic party.

Those that truly believe in the "old" Republican parties tenets of personal freedom and responsabilty are tiring of the bigger government and more control of our privite lives of the "new" Republicans

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
this election is a perfect example why the stagnant american political system needs a viable 3rd party.....and i think the liberterians are it...to obad not enough people know what the party stands for....go Bob!!

new topics

top topics

join