It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pt Mugu NAS: A secret I know

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Here' a little secret I know, I may be the only one left who knows this.

I lived in Oxnard California for 35 years and was certified as a NAUI scuba diver at age 16, one of my dive partners was a young Navy guy who stationed at Pt Mugu.

We would dive off the Pt Mugu pier often (Pier is no longer there) shown below, that's Mugu Rock in the background:

One day he told me a Old retired Navy officer had told him about how the Navy would train dolphins and seals for underwater demolitions at the point, commonly known as "Officers Beach" Shown Below:

and that they had a underwater habitat located about 75 yards off the the end of the pier which the divers used to rest in while training the dolphins and seals. Using Google Earth I've located the view of the underwater Habitat for those who may like to visit the site.

I've visited the Habitat about 4 times, it's in about 30 feet of water, it sits on a huge cement block with 4 steel legs and a small ladder leading up inside, it's about 6 foot diameter cylindrical in shape about 12 feet long with plexiglass domes located on each end.. the sad part is because of it's age it leaked and was flooded.
We had tied a Para cord line from the last pier piling to the habitat but I'm sure that has long since disappeared.
So to anyone who wants to visit I say go for it, it's a fun dive experience.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
posted 17 hours ago.. 13 flags and no replies.?

Just wanted to say.. nice little thread.. Thanks for sharing..

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Yeah man, cool thread. I love finding abandoned stuff. My first thread was about an abandoned military bunker that turned out to be not so abandoned.

Keep it up and dont get discouraged from the lack of replies to your thread. Sometimes it's just a matter of timing.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Nice find! As a commercial diver I would love to go for a dive to visit I would also look at taking some underwater epoxy and try to shore it up a bit and pump some air in there ,it would be an awesome place to go chill for a bit when you don't want to be found,if its 30ft/10m you could probably spend half a day down there and not get a huge nitrogen buildup you would only have to watch yr co2 levels but if you have enough cylinders say a couple of 15liters that should be good.... Would be an awesome project indeed.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by RocksFromSpace

That's very interesting. Thanks for sharing that. I've already passed this on to people who live nearby Mugu, and my boss whose a retired Sea Bee and diver. I think we'll both be making a visit there very soon. If it works out I'll try to get photos of everything.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by borderlineantisocial
reply to post by RocksFromSpace

That's very interesting. Thanks for sharing that. I've already passed this on to people who live nearby Mugu, and my boss whose a retired Sea Bee and diver. I think we'll both be making a visit there very soon. If it works out I'll try to get photos of everything.

The area around and under the pier seemed to have been used as a old naval dumping site, there was large steel pipes (Insides where covered in Scallops) valves and other debris, one time after a storm old brass shells littered the bottom, they looked to be in the 50 cal to 30mm range. Swimming straight out from the pier the bottom drops off very fast and deep so it's best to stay in close. Good Diving !!

top topics

join