It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New No Moving Parts Propulsion System.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I just had an idea that of using electrolysis to generate thrust while in the bath and looking at the hot and cold taps.

basically you have 2 carbon electrodes sealed in a container filled with water.

you apply a current through this water and this causes electrolysis and increases pressure inside the vessel due to release of hydrogen and oxygen at each electrode and after the pressure has built up then a valve/nozzle is opened to release this very high pressure and hence generate thrust.

the electrolysis would be maintained to maintain the high pressure in the container which i understand can reach 10000 psi or more.

hence you do not need to BURN anything.

you merely pass current through a readily available compound such as water or any other suitable compound.

it does not have to be water but any compound which is low cost and can be electrolyzed.

advantage is it has no moving parts and even the water which may slosh around can be replaced by a jelly like substance and still allow electrolysis.

could be very useful in space travel and possibly for lift of from earth without the toxic fuels burning at present.

just imagine passing a 1000 amps or more in a sealed container and generating huge thrust from the released gases or passing 0.1 amp and generating smaller course correction thrusts.

any thoughts anyone?

edit on 5/12/12 by JAK because: Corrected typo and spoilt everyones fun.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I think you mean Parts....

Interesting theory, and it does sound good in theory but i don't know that it would be highly functional for use in lift off from earth or any other gravity rich land mass. Now as far as for use once in orbit you have my attention but how do you plan to make said amperage?
edit on 5-12-2012 by crimsongod21 because: add text

edit on 5-12-2012 by crimsongod21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
um did u mean parts?

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by beckybecky

No moving farts? Awesome LOL. Sounds interesting.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Your idea is very well laid out. I have one question though..... What will the emissions smell like?

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimsongod21
I think you mean Parts....

Interesting theory, and it does sound good in theory but i don't know that it would be highly functional for use in lift off from earth or any other gravity rich land mass. Now as far as for use once in orbit you have my attention but how do you plan to make said amperage?
edit on 5-12-2012 by crimsongod21 because: add text

edit on 5-12-2012 by crimsongod21 because: (no reason given)

Not a big deal the amperage.a car lead acid battery can generate 1000 of amps when turning the starter of your car..

or fuel cells or solar cells charging a lead acid battery in pulsed operations.or even lithium batteries can generate 1000 of amps which is why they are dangerous.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
What you are proposing, at least with water, is to generate a highly explosive mixture of hydrogen and oxygen in a sealed container at extreme pressures. All you would need is one tiny glitch in the system and you would go from no moving parts to about a jillion moving parts, all of them parts of you and your equipment.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Yes all of those things can produce large amounts of amperage, but to get the kind of thrust you are talking about the weight of said items would be on the very heavy side of the scale. Assuming you are using a liquid or jell that does not become highly flammable or combustable upon having a charge shot through it, you would still be using a large part of your cargo capacity just to store the jell and battery, That being said charging of the battery could be accomplished using solar power while in close enough proximity to the sun to be effective but what happens when we dare to move further away from the sun and solar particles become less dense?

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by happykat39
What you are proposing, at least with water, is to generate a highly explosive mixture of hydrogen and oxygen in a sealed container at extreme pressures. All you would need is one tiny glitch in the system and you would go from no moving parts to about a jillion moving parts, all of them parts of you and your equipment.

yes hydrogen and oxygen can really make a bang at the party.

you are totally correct and i am aware of it.

it was simply to illustrate the idea.

you could use sodium chloride solution which generates chlorine gas instead or some other reaction that would generate carbon dioxide on electrolysis.

carbon dioxide is a real party pooper when it comes to combustion.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

lol ???

hahahha

pretty sure the average battery only contains around 50 amps.. Not to mention the max of a starter motor is around 160A... Umm where do you get your information?
edit on 5-12-2012 by dmsuse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamfox1
um did u mean parts?

Wow you just copied exactly what the person before you said, you are impressive

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
What fuels the electricity to create the current for electrolysis?

What happens when you run out of water?

A pressure valve would constitute a moving part.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

The basic premise which you outline here sounds good in theory.however to obtain enough pressure in order to generate a useable level of thrust would need more than a bathtub full.The weight of the electrolyte required to generate the thrust would,I suggest,make this method of propulsion impractical. However,if you're talking harvesting Hydrogen from the electrolyte that may be more of a practcal solution(so long as the farts,especially the moving ones, are kept well clear!)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
There's pressure and that makes for velocity that can come out of a nozzle, but real and serious thrust comes from mass flow. (Liquid fuel rockets may burn hydrogen and oxygen, but take note that they use lots of it.)

Nice idea, but you might have to study a bit on Bernouli, Pascal, etc.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

And exactly how is that any different than what we do right now?

Right now, if there is a "glitch" and the fuel in any propulsion system ignites, we have problems.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by xedocodex

And exactly how is that any different than what we do right now?

Right now, if there is a "glitch" and the fuel in any propulsion system ignites, we have problems.

A very good point, and a lot of scientists, engineers and astronauts have lost their lives proving it. But the odds in favor of disaster greatly increase when amateurs get involved with systems with inherent instability and danger.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
This technology is already used extensively in the space industry. They are called Pulsed Plasma Thrusters. Usually though, for efficiency reasons, instead of electrolysis they instead put so much current in that it vaporizes the liquid instantly into plasma which jets out of the nozzle at high velocity. It is not very efficient but popular for use as micro satellite attitude control thrusters because of their small size and simplicity. Instead of liquid they usually use a solid as fuel because it is easier to manage in micro gravity and has better themal properties.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by dmsuse

lol ???

hahahha

pretty sure the average battery only contains around 50 amps.. Not to mention the max of a starter motor is around 160A... Umm where do you get your information?

Unless your talking about some toy car, like a Smart car you couldnt be more wrong. I'll even wager a tiny little Smart car battery has far in excess of 50 amps. The battery I just put in my wifes Ford Edge has a 650 CCA (cold cranking amps) rating. which means at 20F the battery can provide 650 amps of current for 30 seconds. The battery in my pickup is an 850 CCA battery. Either one could provide 1000 amps at warm temperatures....the only question would be for how long could it provide that current-

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb
This technology is already used extensively in the space industry. They are called Pulsed Plasma Thrusters. Usually though, for efficiency reasons, instead of electrolysis they instead put so much current in that it vaporizes the liquid instantly into plasma which jets out of the nozzle at high velocity. It is not very efficient but popular for use as micro satellite attitude control thrusters because of their small size and simplicity. Instead of liquid they usually use a solid as fuel because it is easier to manage in micro gravity and has better themal properties.

you are correct.but this has very low values for expelled mass due to limitations in creating huge amounts of plasma quickly enough hence low thrust due to very very low mass of high velocity plasma.

my idea allows a vast increase in expelled mass as it simply is a function of amperage and hence pressure increase.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...
This guy did the same sort of thing with seawater and radio waves frankly quite amazing I wonder if we will see anything come of his research although he died in 2009

top topics

<<   2 >>

join