It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Preppers, what would happen to your legacy if you pass?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
This has just been a curiosity for me. If you have spent ample time and money getting together supplies, food, water, and defense for whatever reason you think will happen, what would happen to your stockpile after you are gone?

In other words, you spent a considerable amount of time and money, preparing yourself and your home for a stressful situation, right? It is important. Hopefully, you will never need to use it, have you considered what would happen to it, after you are gone?

Say you have a heart attack tomorrow, or a car accident, and don't see your plan to fruition?

do you leave your supplies to family? With instructions? Do you leave your food to a church or food pantry?
Have you left implicit instructions on what to do, in the hopes that it will be passed down through the family?

I am just curious, if you have made arrangements for your legacy, on the chance that you never got to use them?

For many, it was a considerable investment, you don't want neighbors or relatives you don't like, ransacking the place and taking their next Thanksgiving meal.

edit on 4-12-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Very good question Nixxie

One would hope that a prepper would have lived up to their name and prepared for this eventuality. Maybe trained the family in the ways of a prepper and the skills that come with that lifestyle.

However i know it's not always as easy as that. Some family members do not want to get involved.

Things you could do are....

If no family are interested, whilst you are alive point out to them that in the event of your death, all your prepping items will be left to *insert preppers name and address here*. Also inform your prepper friend if you have one.

Maybe leave an instruction book on prepping so that if the family did want to take it all on, it wouldn't be such a maze for them to fathom. A step by step idiots guide for your preps. What each item is for, how to look after it, when it might be needed. Also include the different types of scenario they might encounter and why you stocked these things. That could get them into prepping once you've gone.

Other than that, leave a will to ask all the food to go to a shelter or shared out in the family, and the tools either sold or passed on. Either way, you are still looking after your loved ones in a funny kind of way.

Good question though, preppers don't always think of the obvious questions.

CX.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
We have 5 kids who are grown and prep themselves. They would take everything and divide it and add to their own stuff.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Same thing that happens to everything else when you die. Your family fights over it like vultures..

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Reply to post by nixie_nox

Interesting question... Are you meaning something legally written out by 'legacy' perhaps? For me and mine, if I pass tonight it's pretty simple, they keep on and carry on. Prepping is something we do as part of our normal life. No huge warehouse of things we don't use or rotate, etc... You're very right about it being an investment...but in more ways than just buried gold. My son and my brother might argue over my buck knife, though. *grin* It's a passed down sorta family thing. P.S. My son wins, possession is nine tenths and it's his by rights. Be well, ~ann

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

Good idea, if no one wants it, leave it to another prepper.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

Thank you for responding.

I don't think that a prepper should have to think of it, as you are preparing for now, today, your mindset isn't 25+ years down the road. You assume that you may need these supplies.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

*laughs* you are right. But if your familiy isn't interested in prepping, they may not want to store 300 lbs of rice.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I would guess that the people that broke into my house and stabbed me to death with the screw driver would most likely steal most of it.. assuming I go out that way. otherwise my pops would get my guns n id dish the rest out to my friends.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

True, but when my grandfather died I saw his never present sons swoop in and fight over all his weapons, tools and antique doodads. Even though he wanted it to be divided amongst his grandchildren.
edit on 4-12-2012 by zonetripper2065 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Well it's not going to go to waste.

Who throws mass amounts of food away for no reason?

Oh.... wait....

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Ask those that prepped for Sandy, Hugo, Katrina, the storm in the San Francisco Bay area, Japan Tsunami the list goes on the years and years... Ask those standing without, just waiting for FEMA here in the USA if prepping would have been a good idea.

Have and not Need vs. Need and not Have........you OP, you do the math on that one, and get back to those that need in states of disaster about it.
edit on 4-12-2012 by racer451 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
my lawyer burns it all.

no idea really. no one i know preps. so they would slowly eat and drink it away with regular groceries. and pawn the equipment off.
edit on 5-12-2012 by Bisman because: (no reason given)

top topics

join