It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt : 12 newspapers and 5 TV channels strike for freedom of expression

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Major media outlets in Egypt are uniting together in the next two days to stage a strike against the current Islamist led Gov't. The Muslim Brotherhood is trying their best to take control of Egypt but many Egyptians are protesting. The question is, who does the military support, the people or the Muslim Brotherhood?

12 newspapers and 5 TV channels strike for freedom of expression

english.ahram.org.eg...

12 Egyptian privately and partisan-owned newspapers and five TV channels plan to stop work on Tuesday and Wednesday against the proposed draft constitution

The draft constitution, which was passed on 30 November by the Islamist-dominated Constituent Assembly and is set to be voted on in a referendum on 15 December, does not include articles against the imprisonment of journalists in cases related to freedom of expression as demanded by journalists.

The Journalists Syndicate's executive council had withdrawn its representatives from the Constituent Assembly in mid-November after its recommendations and suggestions were ignored by the assembly.

Later, the general assembly of the syndicate had threatened on 25 November to stage a strike against the constitutional declaration that president Mohamed Morsi issued on 23 November..

The newspapers that will go on strike on Tuesday include: Al-Masry Al-Youm, Al-Watan, Al-Tahrir, Al-Wafd, Al-Youm 7, Al-Dostour, Al-Shorouk, Al-Sabah, Al-Ahaly, Al-Ahrar, Al-Fagr and Osbooa.

The TV channels that will go on strike on Wednesday, with blank screens broadcasting in place of content, are: ONTV channels, CBC and Modern channels, Al-Hayat Channels and Dream TV channels.

Already on Monday, Al-Wafd newspaper, Al-Youm 7 newspaper, Al-Watan newspaper, Al-Masry Al-Youm newspaper and Tahrir newspaper shared the same headline “No to dictatorship” with an illustration showing a prisoner made of newspaper sitting in a dark cell.

Online media will not go on strike on Tuesday to be able to cover the newspaper strike and other protests planned by the opposition against both the declation and the draft at the presidential palace in the evening.

"We need the online media to be able to send the message of the strike to the reader," Alaa El-Attar, member of the Journalists Syndicate board told Ahram Online.

"However, it will be left to every online new site to define the way it expresses its solidarity with the strike," El Attar added.

Opposition set to march on presidential palace against Morsi decrees

english.ahram.org.eg...

Egyptian opposition parties and revolutionary groups will organise a march to the presidential palace in Heliopolis on Tuesday afternoon to protest the draft constitution, which will be put to national referendum on 15 December.

The call was initiated by the National Salvation Front, a recently-formed umbrella group led by former presidential candidates Hamdeen Sabbahi and Amr Moussa, as well as reform campaigner Mohamed ElBaradei, after President Morsi announced the date of the upcoming referendum on Saturday.

"The Constituent Assembly is illegitimate, and it produced a disfigured constitution without the participation of women, Christians, workers or intellectuals. We will seek all nonviolent means to prevent this assault on the rule of law from happening," Hussein Abdel-Ghani, a spokesman for the group, told Ahram Online.

edit on 3-12-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
They fought hard for sharia,let them enjoy it

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
God, I wish the American press would fight that hard to be allowed to do real journalism....

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2
God, I wish the American press would fight that hard to be allowed to do real journalism....

They have the freedom but they choose to do the fascism thing anyways.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

There will be blood.

None of this is going to go the right way, I'm afraid.

I applaud anyone who values freedom, above dictatorship.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

Originally posted by Ex_CT2

They have the freedom but they choose to do the fascism thing anyways.

Oh, no question! I just wish they'd fight their true masters on our behalf for once....

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Real journalism just doesn't pay enough.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Did I just hear today that Morsi had to evacuate the palace because of the protesters? Something in RT about it. I don'y know if a thread has been done about it yet... Swills

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

You sure did...

Egypt's Mursi leaves palace as police battle protesters | Reuters

(Reuters) - Egyptian police battled thousands of protesters outside President Mohamed Mursi's palace in Cairo on Tuesday, prompting the Islamist leader to leave the building, presidency sources said.

Officers fired teargas at up to 10,000 demonstrators angered by Mursi's drive to hold a referendum on a new constitution on December 15. Some broke through police lines around his palace and protested next to the perimeter wall.

The crowds had gathered nearby in what organizers had dubbed "last warning" protests against Mursi, who infuriated opponents with a November 22 decree that expanded his powers. "The people want the downfall of the regime," the demonstrators chanted.

"The president left the palace," a presidential source, who declined to be named, told Reuters. A security source at the presidency also said the president had departed.

Mursi ignited a storm of unrest in his bid to prevent a judiciary still packed with appointees of ousted predecessor Hosni Mubarak from derailing a troubled political transition.

Music to my ears.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I think most of them are well aware of the trouble that is the Muslim Brotherhood.

Hundreds of thousands besiege Egypt's presidential palace to protest draft constitution - Politics - Egypt - Ahram Online

Before a date for the constitutional referendum was set, the president had issued a constitutional declaration that shields his decisions from judicial oversight and protects the Constituent Assembly and Shura Council from dissolution by court order....

...."I know he's an elected president, but I think he lost his legitimacy," Moussa said.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Music to my ears.

Now I see that a camp of hundreds of protesters with tents has sprung up on the palace grounds. What an occupy, huh? So far they are getting away with it? Imagine if in this country the Occupy Movement set up camp on the White House lawn?

new topics

top topics

join