It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists bowled over by Fermanagh bog finds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Nice find here in Ireland. A thousand years of occupancy from out of a bog.

A Fermanagh bog is revealing how our ancient farming ancestors were far more sophisticated than we could ever have imagined. Archaeologists have hit the jackpot with the first crannog to have been dug up in Northern Ireland in 50 years — saying the internationally important find is rewriting our understanding of Ulster’s history. Link
edit on 3-12-2012 by JohnnyCanuck because: Empty posts gather no readers

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Fascinating!

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Whaat?
Empty post.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
Nice find here in Ireland. A thousand years of occupancy from out of a bog.

A Fermanagh bog is revealing how our ancient farming ancestors were far more sophisticated than we could ever have imagined. Archaeologists have hit the jackpot with the first crannog to have been dug up in Northern Ireland in 50 years — saying the internationally important find is rewriting our understanding of Ulster’s history. Link
edit on 3-12-2012 by JohnnyCanuck because: Empty posts gather no readers

Fascinating.
edit on 12/3/2012 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Fascina.. Err.

Good find!

over 1000 years of history of one spot.. thats mad. I really wish I'd been an archaeologist. I could so see myself there.. *dreams of everything being like Time Team*...

And to think they only did this because it is going to be developed over and lost for all eternity under tarmac and modern cancer.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I'm wondering if they found one of my long lost relatives in that bog.
They happen to be vikings who invaded and eventually assimilated into the community,much like the borg.

We were called the dark ones.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Time team rocks.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I did not know what a Crannog was.

en.wikipedia.org...
www.crannog.co.uk...

This is so interesting. Another link to the Fermanagh Crannog:
www.bbc.co.uk...

Image gallery of artifacts:
www.u.tv...

* & Flag

edit on 3-12-2012 by SeekingDepth because: Added another good sound link.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Normally the approach taken is to avoid disturbing crannogs, but this one at Drumclay on the outskirts of Enniskillen lay in the path of the Cherrymount Link bypass and will eventually vanish beneath the Tarmac.

But since the summer a small army of archaeologists has been busy trying to extract as much information as possible from what is proving to be one of the most significant crannogs ever uncovered in Ireland.

Read more: www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk...

:shk:
why can't they just build an overpass at this point?

but of course, progress must go on.
F&S

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Interesting story JC, thanks.

Any 'bog-stuff' from the past just gets me whether it's bodies, butter or buildings. In this case it looks like a fascinating dig-site and worth the time for the team.

Gotta say I read all the way through waiting for a curve-ball or something unique to flag up.

[...]our ancient farming ancestors were far more sophisticated than we could ever have imagined.

I guess the *we* was the *me* who wrote the article (Linda Stewart)?! For the rest of us, it's no surprise that folk lived in settlements over periods of time and made stuff. Sorta was expecting a double-garage adjoining one of the homes with a tarmac driveway

There's another article over here that has a couple of images. The grist of the story focuses on the hassles of maintaining the preservation of the site whilst construction goes on in the area (lowered water table).

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Thanks JC!! what a cool read.

Progress is a doubled edged sword I guess. Without it this bog probably would have never been dug up. I hope they get as many artifacts and as much information before it gets paved over.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
[why can't they just build an overpass at this point?

but of course, progress must go on.
True...but I'd rather have progress coupled with a salvage operation than blind progress. These days, that's how most archaeology happens anyway.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
This topic and thread has been chosen to be discussed by the ATS LIVE crew this Saturday between 6-9pm pst as part of this weeks Turbo Topics segment.

LOW BANDWIDTH STREAM NOW AVAILABLE - We now run a 32kbps stream for those of you with slower connections. You can connect to the low bandwidth stream by clicking here.

www.shoutcast.com...

We are still running at 256kbps through the ATS Player, and there are also options to listen via other players on our relay site at www.illustrial.net...

Hope you'll listen in!
Johnny

top topics

join