It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dolphin defends itself from ANOTHER brutish human!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirhumperdink

Originally posted by Chai_An
An aquarium is not a natural environment for a dolphin and just because it's in captivity and has been exposed to humans all it's life does not mean it's a pet or domesticated. I don't understand all this letting your children feed these animals who can revert to their wild instincts at any moment.

dolphins are intelligent docile and empathetic in their own environment and are known to have frequent positive interactions with humans
i dont understand where all this the dolphin may revert back to its instinctual nature when their instinctual nature doesnt involve harming people.
you want to see an aggressive dolphin then look what they do to sharks that bother their pod ....if the dolphin wanted to harm that girl she would have been
this is something like your cat going for the toy and catching a claw in your hand

This is not a family pet this is an animal held in captivity in an environment that is hardly considered natural. People have a false sense of security in dealing with these animals, there are two people albeit they were considered professionals they are dead just the same from becoming too comfortable with animals in captivity. Ask a zookeeper do they let their guard down when dealing with animals held in captivity? They'll tell you no because the animals are unpredictable. We don't know how that animal would've reacted if the child fell into the water.

CX

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
It wasn't an attack, and it wasn't an act or self defense....it was an obvious accident.

You can see the dolphin was trying to make a lunge at the food.

CX.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
It wasn't an attack, and it wasn't an act or self defense....it was an obvious accident.

You can see the dolphin was trying to make a lunge at the food.

CX.

Exactly.. This title on the thread is false as well. Dolphin was just trying to get what it thought was a fish in her hand. Seaworld makes me sick, kidnap a bunch of lifeforms, stick them in a cage, and rake in the money. To me this is worse than slavery.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Without having read any of the thread - My first reaction as the video opened - this is VERY DANGEROUS and I would NEVER EVER allow my child to be there in that circumstance.

Then I saw the animal lunge for the morsel and of course my fears were immediately justified by what I was witnessing. That innocent child could easily have either lost her arm or worse - could been pulled underwater and killed by the TOTALLY INNOCENT DOLPHIN.

The fault lies with Sea World !!!!!!!!

Sea World is notorious for its criminal actions against humans and animals - across the board.

PS Edit...

The title of this thread is an outright falsehood..........

edit on 3-12-2012 by Gregorian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonMoon
reply to post by ThinkingCap

It appears to me that she was holding the 'food' out for too long and the dolphin made a grab for the food. Sort of like a dog might if it was being teased. The child was not to understand the dolphin behaviour and IMHO if anyone is to blame its either the sea world staff for not explaining the correct procedure for feeding a dolphin safely or whoever was supposed to be supervising the child.

Tease a dog long enough with a biscuit and it will become 'snappy'. I'm sure its similar with the dolphins.

Clearly the case. The dolphin could, of course, still smell the fish, and her hand was still sort of extended. Contrary to what some think, these are just animals. Smart animals, sure, but animals. The only thing in question is this; did Sea World post any cautionary signs about what to do when out of fish, or what gestures to avoid? If they did, then the parents of this girl should have been more careful to instruct her. If not, then they should be posting them, immediately, and issuing an apology to the family.

In any case, this was NOT some "act of terror" by a "brutish human". There were no "threatening hand gestures", or "spiteful demeanor", and one cannot put into prison an animal. Of course, I am sure that you would label me in a similar fashion as this innocent child, because I enjoyed a delicious turkey sandwich a while ago today.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
Typical.

I am outraged by the parents and kids behaviour

I see this so often here. Tourists come, they try to feed or play with a lion, tease an elephant, shout at buffalo, try to pet a rhino, and then when something goes wrong, OMG, the animal is a man killer, kill the animal.

Its BS

Wild animals are called wild animals for a reason, even if they are in captivity, they are still wild.
Respect them, and you will be fine.

vvv

What do cases of that sort have to do with feeding a dolphin in an area the park set p for that exact purpose? If the park had posted safety precautions, and the people failed to follow them, then there isn't any liability. Since someone already posted that the parents do not intend to file a lawsuit, what's the issue? The video is simply a lesson in paying attention to the safety rules. The child wasn't doing anything wrong; just careless, because either she failed to follow a rule, or her parents failed to be sure she understood. The dolphin didn't do anything wrong, either, and in fact, let go pretty quickly. Lesson learned, minor injury, should be no issues. Respect the fact that this is a wild animal? Of course. I didn't see anything about anyone calling for killing the dolphin, though. I do agree that, when someone does something totally stupid, as in the cases you mention, it's their fault, not the animal's. An animal isn't to blame for acting according to its nature.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
There was no teasing from the girl or self-defense done by the dolphin, there was nothing to defend against. To me, the reason why the dolphin did what it did was in reaction to what it thought and has been trained to recognize as a "performance cue". When a trainer is performing with a dophin, what is something usually done? They raise a fish or some kind of treat UP with their arm and the dolphin leaps out and eats it. The newcast i heard reported that there are signs around warning guests NOT to raise their arms around and near the tanks. Obviously these signs were either not seen, somehow, by the parents and the proper instructions not relayed to their child or they were seen but were just flatout ignored. In either case, this shows a flaw in their parenting in my opinion. When around wild animals, no matter how cute they may look or how domesticated you think they may be, you as a parent should be aware of rules, warnings and have some kind of common sense. Further proof of the deteriorating quality of parents and the woefully unpreparedness for life of their children as the generations go by.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum
Kid was probably just too much like it's vile parents and the dolphin sensed it and reacted. Kids and their parents should be banned from these places

Pity is wasn't a shark, then they'd really have something to cry about

edit on 3-12-2012 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

You refer to a child as "it", then comment that you wish a shark had bitten her? I don't know what's worse, the fact that you can state such a thing, or that three people starred the comment.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes

Kid was probably just too much like it's vile parents and the dolphin sensed it and reacted. Kids and their parents should be banned from these places

You refer to a child as "it", then comment that you wish a shark had bitten her? I don't know what's worse, the fact that you can state such a thing, or that three people starred the comment.

You are quite correct, the reason being is that dolphin was probably more intelligent than "it" and probably bit for a reason. C'mon, "it" wasn't really harmed, the parents are just trying to cash in

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

The Dolphin did it on porpoise !
10,000 internet points for the Dolphin !

S&F for you !

Nothing at all for the douche family !

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

You are quite correct, the reason being is that dolphin was probably more intelligent than "it" and probably bit for a reason. C'mon, "it" wasn't really harmed, the parents are just trying to cash in

I wasn't agreeing with you. I find such a comment, and such an attitude, about a child to be deplorable. This is a little girl, not some "it". No, the dolphin wasn't smarter; if it had been, it would have known a tray from a fish. Plus, the parents have stated they are not filing a lawsuit, so strike three.

link   

Originally posted by Alda1981
to be honest the parents are douches... "the attraction is dangerous.." So you got bit a little from a dolphin...you can get hurt worst by tripping and falling on the street. Some small cuts and a bruise.... sheesh.... americans would sue anything to make money...

This, I expected more OP. As far as I can see from the Video, the Girl didn't "threaten the Dolphin". The dolphin clearly was going for they tray that she had the fish in, why this is a story either way is beyond me.

Animals don't always understand what humans are doing, If you try to fill that Lion's cavity and he kills you, who is at fault?

Natural selection as the Darwin fans say.

link   

Originally posted by chrismir
They were told repeatedly, 'not to hold up the plate'. The girl however did so when the plate was empty. Stupid, but could you hold that against the little girl?

The parents now complaining about how dangerous the attraction is, is the most disturbing part of this story.

Yep. She did EXACTLY what she was told NOT to do.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

I wasn't agreeing with you. I find such a comment, and such an attitude, about a child to be deplorable. This is a little girl, not some "it". No, the dolphin wasn't smarter; if it had been, it would have known a tray from a fish. Plus, the parents have stated they are not filing a lawsuit, so strike three.

No they can't because there's no long term injury, but you can bet they would if they could

Bet they wish it was a shark that bit, then they could sue

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Seems to me the dolphin wanted the tray and got an arm to boot. The parents are idiots. If they want safety stay home.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
They were told not to pick up the trays she's lucky and got off easy. That dolphin could have done much worse.
I feel bad for these dolphins being jailed and poked at all day.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

No they can't because there's no long term injury, but you can bet they would if they could

Bet they wish it was a shark that bit, then they could sue

You really think parents wish their child was bitten by a shark, so they could get money? Really? Wow, hope you don't have kids. They stated they attraction is unsafe. fact is, they are correct, to a point. As someone else suggested, a built-in tray, under the rail, would solve the issue, and prevent that sort of mistake. These parents are concerned that others aren't injured, not out for money at the expense of their child.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

No, the dolphin wasn't smarter; if it had been, it would have known a tray from a fish. Plus, the parents have stated they are not filing a lawsuit, so strike three.

you mean the tray that it couldnt see into.... the trays that are often full of fish.... looks like the dolphin is smarter than someone at least
pretty sure the dolphin was trying to grab the tray to get ALL the fish and not have to beg for them like a dog
that said this dolphin has probably done this (grabbed for the tray) before and gotten away with it because "aaaw its so cute"
and whats with the strikes this isnt baseball... theres no three strikes and your views are now invalid if that was the case im pretty sure we would all be benched little miss perfect (sorry i have this thing about self righteousness and hypocrisy ...it cheeses me off)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirhumperdink

No, the dolphin wasn't smarter; if it had been, it would have known a tray from a fish. Plus, the parents have stated they are not filing a lawsuit, so strike three.

you mean the tray that it couldnt see into.... the trays that are often full of fish.... looks like the dolphin is smarter than someone at least
pretty sure the dolphin was trying to grab the tray to get ALL the fish and not have to beg for them like a dog
that said this dolphin has probably done this (grabbed for the tray) before and gotten away with it because "aaaw its so cute"
and whats with the strikes this isnt baseball... theres no three strikes and your views are now invalid if that was the case im pretty sure we would all be benched little miss perfect (sorry i have this thing about self righteousness and hypocrisy ...it cheeses me off)

Strikes when someone states that it should have been a shark biting the child, claims a lawsuit that isn't happening, and then assumes the dolphin is smarter than the people. Three mistakes, three strikes. It's an analogy. Didn't say their views were invalid; said they were incorrect, and in the one case (shark) messed up. Stated my opinion, as people do in these threads. The dolphin saw the hand movement, and the tray, and smelled the fish. The child didn't move her arm away. Simple mistake, from both.

I don't think it's right to take something like this, which should be a basic safety lesson, and demonize a child and her parents for it.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
With all the rapist dolphins out they're lately, we should be happy this is all that happened.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join