It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prolonged Aromatherapy harmful to your heart, new study.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I know many of the folks on this site are into alternative methods of healing, including aromatherapy. This new study suggests however that overexposure to it, might hold some cardiovascular risks.

In the study, 100 spa workers in Taipei sat in a room and breathed in the vapours of bergamot oil - a concentrated, citrusy extract - for two hours, while researchers measured their blood pressure and heart rate, as well as the level of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in the air, website MyHealthNewsDaily reported.

During the first hour, the workers' blood pressure and heart rates went down. After 45 minutes, the average systolic blood pressure measurement had dropped by 2.10 mmHg, and the heart rate by 2.21 beats per minute. This finding agrees with some previous research showing essential oils relieve stress.

However, after 120 minutes, researchers saw the opposite effect. Systolic blood pressure not only returned to the baseline level, it had risen by about 2.19 mmHg, and the heart rate was 1.70 beats per minute higher than at baseline.

Link

So if you are indeed into aromatherapy, just keep in mind, that overlong exposure to the the inhalation of the oils, might be detrimental to your health.
Like everything using it in moderation is the key.

vvv

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

I do think that it is important not to over use essential oils but that it is also important to understand that the research being discussed here only shows prolonged use to be detrimental to health. I believe that it is ok to use aromatherapy treatments on a regular basis but for short lengths of time.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Bergamot is not the same as lavender is not the same as eucalyptus is not the same as pennyroyal.

Essential oils are all incredibly power, and all have different effects. Certain ones can kill you if ingested orally, others are used to flavor gum and candies.

I think it would be wise to learn as much as possible about whatever oils you choose to use...

A few drops of lemon essential oil in a mop bucket worked wonders in keeping ants at bay in an old apartment, and that's a heck of a lot healthier than nasty toxic ant spray.

new topics

join